Dem's tweet spikes the ball on health care, draws ire
June 28th, 2012

Dem's tweet spikes the ball on health care, draws ire

(CNN) – Some Republicans took issue with an off-color tweet by the Democratic National Committee's executive director on Thursday, immediately following the Supreme Court's announced decision to uphold the federal health care law.

"It's constitutional. Bitches," Patrick Gaspard wrote on Twitter.

Thirty minutes later, the DNC official, who once served as the White House political director under President Barack Obama, offered a semi-clarification.

However, that didn't stop a snowballing uproar to play out on Twitter. As of Thursday mid-afternoon, the message had been re-tweeted more than 1,650 times, with both positive and negative reactions.

Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus called on his counterpart, DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, to condemn the remarks.

The RNC's press secretary, Kirsten Kukowski, also responded to the tweet, calling it "inappropriate."

Earlier, the National Republican Congressional Committee, the body in charge of getting Republicans elected to the House, quickly re-tweeted Gaspard's original tweet, coupled with its own message.

Others, however, were slightly more amused by Gaspard's remark. Here's a smattering:

The DNC did not have an official comment.

Filed under: DNC • Health care • Supreme Court
  1. Malory Archer

ktr

Why don't you liberals get a JOB and pay your own way for once?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm a lib, been working and paying my own way since I was fifteen. You should learn to take responsibility for yourself and stop using the ER like a free clinic.

June 28, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

Four and The Door

Who can blame them? The Democrats haven't had a win in several years. America has been very Republican – friendly since 2010.

That all started to change on Monday babe, and we're on a roll now!

June 28, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. ktr

Sniffit, obama has spent more than all presidents prior to him. You need to stop drinking the kool aide. Who else has spent 5 trillion? NOONE! What job do you have? Simple question that even a lib should be able to answer. Libs and repubs, all americans lost today. Soon, the gov't will tell you to do something with an over-reaching mandate that you do not support! You will complain but you WILL have to support it since you accepted this corruption of obamacare. If you cannot see that all corruption is not to be tolerated, then, I cannot have an intelligible conversation with you. I feel sorry for you. You are too blinded to see you have lost with obamacare as well.

June 28, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. ghostriter

Four and the door......Well, that lil victory in 2008 was pretty nice. The union bill's defeat in OH was pretty nice. The elections in 2011 (which republicans seem to skip by in their trips down memory lane), AZ bill, etc. Overall, not a bad bunch of smackdowns.

June 28, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Obamaggedon - Elections have Consequences

Obama has added $5 TRILLION to the USA debt in 3 short years. the total debt is approaching $16 TRILLION now. If Obama remains in office, total debt will exceed $20 TRILLION and that is not counting the TRILLIONS Obamacare will add to the debt.

Obamaggedon is fast approaching America. You have been warned. November 6, 2012 is your last chance. You have been warned.

June 28, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. max

Obamaggedon – Elections have Consequences

You were warned America, and you refused to listen.

Obamacare will be the destruction of your healthcare system.
    Obama spending and debt will be the destruction of your country.
    Obama violating, ignoring and not enforcing laws will be the destruction of your liberty.

You were warned America, and you refused to listen.

Your LAST CHANCE to listen is November 6, 2012. After that, it will be too late. Obamaggedon.

June 28, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
    -------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.......stop being so paranoid. Go read a book and calm the heck down!!! No need to waste time to respond to you with logic...I somehow think that that would be lost on you.

June 28, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. ktr

malory archer, I do have a job and do not use the ER; you are a typical lib who makes false accusations without knowing a person; your petty attacks on my character are emotion-based attacks that will not work to get me riled up in any way since they carry as much truth as obama and his policies; and what great job does a 15 y/o have that pays your way 100%? Give me a break!

June 28, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. NVa Native

The Repubs don't want to be responsible and pay for their own healthcare – why do they use many weak excuses for not taking responsibility for paying for their own healthcare?

June 28, 2012 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Woman In California

The truth hurts. No apology necessary.

June 28, 2012 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Joe

I love you simpletons celebrating this law that is going to further damage the economy, ruin medical treatment and hurt medical advancement and discovery. You hear "free health care coverage for all" and it's as simple as that for you. There is no money to pay for this. I hope you people that support this law still like it when you: can't get in to see your doctor, receive poor treatment, let the government tell you what tests you can have, the economy gets worse and we go deeper into bankruptcy and I hope you are fine with less advancements in medicine and hurting research and development in America. OBAMA MUST GO now before he causes any further damage to the USA. This law is only good for the poor and uninsured temporarily – the rest of us and America as a whole is sheet out of luck!

June 28, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. charles

They have called the president of the great USA more than this. Even though I don't condone such bad words. Let's all be civilise.The president is the most decent, calm,civilise public official ever. He never says or insults anyone despite all the indecent words and lies piled on him.

June 28, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"America has been very Republican – friendly since 2010. "

Is that why all polls show congressional Republicans with a lower approval rating than congressional Dems?

June 28, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. Linda Ohnmacht

Justice was done today. Ihave a pre existing condition. Have not had insurance since 2005. Now come 2014 I will be able to have afforable heatlth care. That you Supreme Court and President Obama. The middle class 's only hope.

June 28, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. Woman In California

@ ktr

Why don't you liberals get a JOB and pay your own way for once? I am an independent. Both the dems and repubs smell awful. Obama will NOT get re-elected without the independent vote which he lost today!

I'm an independent with a good paying job and I WILL be voting once again for the president so before you ACCUSE everyone who is FOR the president of not working and paying their way GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

June 28, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. NVa Native

Yes, the inadequate and deadly healthcare that you Repubs relish where dead-beats can walk away from their bills is over, grow up and pay for your healthcare – the rest of us are tired of paying for your healthcare.

June 28, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Ronda in Houston,TX

It's an expression. Personally, I cried when I heard the news.

June 28, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Myviewis

I'm just shoked that Patrick Gaspard who had the chance to live in the US instead of Congo, Africa is so rude to the American people. I myself am an ex-foreigner and as angry as I get at Democrats or Republicans I still have to show some respect for the people that opened the doors to me to live in the US. Where else in the world do you find We the People? I can see angry but to be so rude and hurtful is unacceptable. Wow, I can't believe Gaspard felt this way about so many of us.

June 28, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. ART

In your face Rethuglicans next stop the defeat of that flip flopper Romney with his off shore accounts.

June 28, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. jesse james. take them to street and shoot them like the dogs they are

Rumknee and the gopt sucks. Have a nice day.

June 28, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

Best tweet of the day!

June 28, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Dave

And I thought the democrats are civil!!! Yeah, right!

June 28, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Obamaggedon – Elections have Consequences

------------
    The stupid part is that it could have been avoided if conservatives had not threatened to blow up the economy if the temporary Bush Tax Cuts were not made permanent.

Don't forget the deficits Bush had is last two years: FY2008 = $1 trillion : FY2009 = $1.45 trillion.

June 28, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. al in memphis

As an independent, everyday I see that SOME people from both parties are nothing more than knuckleheads and poisonous to real leadership in government.
    It's like a bunch of preppy high school girls- what a waste of a college education.

June 28, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Malory Archer

ktr

you are a typical rethug who makes false accusations without knowing a person; your petty attacks on liberals in general are emotion-based attacks that will not work to get me riled up in any way since they carry as much truth as mittens and his policies;

and what great job does a 15 y/o have that pays your way 100%?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I haven't been fifteen in more than three decades, and since then I've graduated from High School, earned a Bachelors & Masters Degree which have enabled me to land a pretty great job that DOES pay my expenses – thanks for asking!

June 28, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. cedar rapids

"This is the Democratic National Committee's executive director expressing his and all liberal Dems feelings and I believe it truly is a reflection of what liberals think of the American people."

oh enough of the faux outrage, we all know what the repubs would be saying right now had the decision gone the other way. And by the way......we liberals are also the American people, the tweet was aimed at people like you.

June 28, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |