Gov. Christie to reporter: ‘Are you stupid?’
June 30th, 2012

Gov. Christie to reporter: ‘Are you stupid?’

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, known for his candor, snapped at a reporter Saturday while taking issue with his question at a press conference.

Reporters were told the governor would only answer questions about a major problem at a water treatment plant, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

Yet one reporter proceeded to ask an unrelated question involving the state legislature, as seen in video of the press conference from Monmouth County.

Christie, cutting him off, said: "Did I say on topic? Are you stupid? On topic, on topic. Next question."

As the reported tried to follow up, the Republican governor again interjected and ended the press conference.

"Thank you all very much, and I'm sorry for the idiot over there. Take care," he said before walking away.

Christie, who is rumored to be a potential GOP vice presidential pick, has made headlines in the past for growing confrontational with reporters or audience members at events.

Mitt Romney, himself, teased Christie about his brash behavior Tuesday night when the two appeared together at a fund-raiser.

"That man really is something, you know that? I was hoping someone in here would start to heckle him so I could watch him go to town here. But you know better, don't ya? What an extraordinary leader," Romney said, according to pool reports.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't care what Christie said about the press conference. Any time he gets in front of the microphone for a press conference, Christie should answer the question. I don't mind him saying politiely that the reporter is off topic, but calling him stupid just shows that the current governor needs to be replacesd at the next elelction.

June 30, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. Tom

Even alexithymic Mitt knows Christi is a bully and a jerk, and sticking up for Christi makes pandering Mitt look even more desperate.

June 30, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  3. sayer

Funny but sorry not VP material.

June 30, 2012 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  4. Mr. Mark

I just don't understand the attraction to this rude man. He is the one person Romney could pick for his VP that would force NOT to vote at all, as much as I dislike Obama, I could never ever vote for this man.

June 30, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  5. david mann

So Romney thinks being rude and arrogant are admirable qualities in an elected official? Oh yeah! He'd make a great foreign policy President...NOT.

June 30, 2012 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. Patrick, FL

How does losing his temper and demeaning a reporters make him a good leader? No leader should ever refer to someone as being stupid.

Try to imagine President Obama calling a conservative leaning reporter stupid... The house republicans and Fox news would be calling for impeachment.

June 30, 2012 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  7. Ryan

Extraordinary leader indeed, Mitts. Someone asks something you're not comfortable with so you proceed to engage in ad hominem attacks against them. Bravo!

June 30, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  8. When the US sneeze Canada gets the Cold

Christie tries to intimidate everyone even the media... he is brash and uncouth and has not respect .... HE IS A BULLY.
    How he has gotten to be Governor of NJ ... I guess people in NJ are desperate... I have listened to and he has no finesse! or class......

June 30, 2012 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  9. Kathleen Farrell

Extraordinary leader? Are you kidding me? He's boorish, nasty, arrogant and rude.I feel sorry for New Jersey being represented by this human.

July 1, 2012 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  10. Are you kidding me?

He is very unprofessional and I hope to everything holy he does not get another term. Wake up NJ he is an embarrassment!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  11. UrAverageJoe

Sad that Mitt Romney, who wants to be the leader of the free world finds a bully like Christie to be "an extraordinary leader". Would Romney say the same about an elementary school student who spoke that way to an adult or even another child? Does this "extraordinary leader" speak that way to his children when they dare to have a thought different than his, or to his wife when she dares to have a differing opinion?

July 1, 2012 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  12. NameUnsubg nj

Time to say so long!!!

July 1, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  13. frida

That's just a perfect evidence that Romney will never pick Chris Christie as his VP.

July 1, 2012 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  14. Marry

So to Mr. Romney someone with brash behavior is an extraordinary leader! Well, bully meets bully! Why does he always come down on the wrong side of any issue? I guess it’s just Mr. Romney: Lots of money, no class, simple focus = improve the lives of the suffering 1%! Perhaps trickle down to the next 2% than 3%...?

July 1, 2012 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  15. Charles

How is belittling people leadership?

July 1, 2012 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  16. TheVoice

Really? This man lacks finesse. Can someone imagine him talking to Putin or some other world leader? We would be in WW3.

July 1, 2012 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  17. stevetall

Yeah. Quite a leader. Also, he is certainly huge embarrassment to New Jersey, a state know for major league embarrassments. Say, Snookie, for example. I think the gorvernor should find a job that he's better suited for. Perhaps working in a truck stop where his ignorance can really shine and he can really impress people.

July 1, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  18. Sydnium S. Washington

Okay, he won't be the running mate because of that. Eject door, please.

July 1, 2012 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  19. Merle

Extraordinary leader? more like a control freak on a bad day

July 1, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  20. Ken

Yeah he's a great leader alright. It's his way or the highway.

July 1, 2012 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  21. encie

he sounds like a bully to me. great leaders can keep their composure. he sounds like it is his way or the highway. only a dictator responds like that.

July 1, 2012 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  22. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Mitt(I have nothing)McCain thinks that the unhinged GOBP are cute. They all will be running like Sharon Angle and Witch ODonnell soon.

July 1, 2012 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  23. FedUp

So what is the problem? Most reporters don't listen. They write what they want to, regardless of the answer. Sounds like Christie was right on.

July 1, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  24. clarke

I think what Christie said was unnecessary, there are better ways to say it.. Such a lack of respect in this country. The reporter knew the rules, but had no respect for them, so I guess they are even, aren't they. I find it disgraceful at both ends..

July 1, 2012 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  25. GOP is for the rich

"What an extraordinary leader," ...in Rmoney's mind, all it takes to be a leader is to be rude and mean to citizens!!

July 1, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |