Owner of restaurant dies following Obama visit
July 6th, 2012

Owner of restaurant dies following Obama visit

(CNN) - President Barack Obama called the family of Josephine "Ann" Harris from Air Force One to express his condolences after Harris died Friday not long after his visit to the Akron, Ohio restaurant she owned.

Harris, 70, passed away in the emergency room at Akron General Medical Center at 11:18 a.m. ET, the chief investigator for the Summit County Medical Examiner's office confirmed to CNN.

No official cause of death is known at this time.

Obama talked to Harris' daughter, Wilma Parsons, to tell her he was honored to meet her mother Friday and to pass on his thoughts and prayers, according to White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.

President Barack Obama talks with customers at Ann's Place on Friday morning. Pool photo.

The president visited the restaurant, Ann's Place, Friday morning for breakfast at the start of the second day of his bus tour through Ohio and Pennsylvania.

While Harris was not in the restaurant Friday morning, she drove up to the diner to meet with the president and take a photo outside.

– CNN's Brianna Keilar and Justin Lear contributed to this report.

Filed under: Ohio • President Obama
  1. kimberly

must be that death panel thing palin warned us about!

July 6, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Darryl

The news media better go away ............just stop...................the end.

July 6, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. fred37ify

Hhhmmm ! Turns out he really is toxic !

July 6, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Como

You lefties need to take your medication. No one is blaming Obama for the man's death. In fact Obama did a very compassionate act by phone the family within hours of the passing and giving his condolences. You people with the talking points are ruining the commentary on CNN.

July 6, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  5. Vera

Obama has already killed the economy, so what's one more life to him?

July 6, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. Babyboomer

Peace and Blessing to the family and may she Rest in Peace...

July 6, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. birdir

so many sick people in this country
    .sad to see the GOP try to use a death in this way.
    sorry for you loss.

July 6, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. DB in AR

We must cease on this and politicize it immediately. What is our angle? Lets go with she was frustrated by the jobs report (another month of adding jobs just not enough for a true Romney Conservative) and so agitated that she couldn't criticize the President to his face that it killed her. Also Obama will make a statement of sorrow for her that we can say HE is the one playing up a tragedy for political gain. Perfect!! Call Faux Snooze and get a spokeman on.

July 6, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. mstlg1957

Very sad for her family. Unfortunately, the Republicans will spin this and the president will be blamed for this unfortunate incident, as well. Hopefully, her family will be able to ignore all the negativity and have the privacy they deserve to mourn their loss.

July 6, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  10. Everybody's got their death story

June 16, 1968

Romney was driving a car involved in a head-on collision. A passenger in the car he was driving died, and Romney was seriously injured. Dear, dear Republicans: Are we actually going to call Romney the spreader of death also? You people make me sick to my stomach. He was actually behind the wheel. It didn't happen after he left, no, it happened with him in the car behind the wheel.

July 6, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Reminds me of a time when two very, very handsome CEO's of a company I was employed by, walked down the hall together and stopped to me, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. God please forgive me, because I too am 70, and would probably colapse if not worse, if I had the same experience but I'd die with a smile on my face and I'm sure Ms. Harris did.

July 6, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Larry L

@fred37ify

Hhhmmm ! Turns out he really is toxic !
    -------------------------------------------------
    Another good right-wing Christian...

July 6, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. -Br0tH3R-

como, read what vera, capt awesome, trix1en, fred37ify n valentina posted on here. sad ppl in today's world i tell u.

July 6, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Charlie from the North

I get why this is news since it does come so soon after a Presidential visit. But why is it on the "political ticker"? It is not a political happening and it just invites goose stepping knuckle dragging morons to make fun of a person's death and blame the President.

July 6, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. Darrell

First, my prayers go out to Josephine "Ann" Harris family.

Second, R.I.P Josephine "Ann" Harris.

For the sick people who are making jokes over this situation, I truly hope you are asking God forgiveness.

July 6, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. sue

rip may she rest in peace! I noticed there are hate on both sides but the first ones to rush and scream hate making themselves look hateful the most was the left loon liberals! Then had some crazy rights run their mouth come on guys leave the deceased and the family alone please let them mourn! Stop being hateful your making yourself look stupid!

July 6, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. SugarKube

Barry is bringing death to America.

July 6, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. sargesgiftshop.com

The 1st decent thing he's done in 3 1/2 years, I'll give him credit for that, but no more.

July 6, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. Fredie

Why would you want to meet Obama, he kills people and lies for a living

July 6, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. Alaska

I guess she was dying to meet him.

July 6, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Wes Scott

Fox News is reporting that Obama killed the diner owner and then fled to Air Force One before his dirty deed was discovered. Get the facts from Rush, Hannity and O'Reilly!

July 6, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. JWR

Hopes he has breakfast with congress ASAP!

July 6, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Ben

I agree with Darrell, there are a lot of sickos on this site. And, I am a conservative and do not like Mr. Obama's politics. But, CNN put this story up on the political board just to generate this kind of sick comments and outrage. Shame on CNN. This is a human interest story at best and they threw it up to generate this kind of trash!

July 6, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |