July 6th, 2012

Romney reacts to 'kick in the gut' jobs report

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire (CNN) - A jobs report showing lukewarm hiring in June is a "kick in the gut" to American workers, presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney said in New Hampshire Friday.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Romney made remarks and took some reporter questions at Bradley's Hardware in downtown Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, about a mile and a half from the Romney family's lakefront home. The candidate, along with his large extended family, has spent the last week there on vacation.

READ MORE: Republicans pin blame for flat jobs report on Obama

In his comments, Romney slammed President Barack Obama, his opponent for the White House, as not doing enough to foster growth and encourage employers to hire workers.

"The highest corporate tax rates in the world do not create jobs," Romney said. "Highest regulatory burdens in our nation's history - those do not create jobs. Trade policies that have not opened up new markets for American goods, particularly in Latin America, those don't create new jobs. Failing to effectively crack down on China for cheating and stealing American jobs, that has not helped."

"The president's policies have not gotten America working again, and the president's going to have to stand up and take responsibility for it," Romney continued.

Obama, who is traveling on a bus tour through the Rust Belt, was expected to react to Friday's jobs numbers at his first stop in Ohio. Romney mentioned the tour, asking, "How do you go across Pennsylvania and Ohio and not talk about being serious about creating jobs through manufacturing policies that make America more attractive for investment and growth?"

Romney said as president, he would use different strategies to help remedy the dire economic straits many Americans face.

"It doesn't have to be this way," Romney said. "The president doesn't have a plan. He hasn't proposed any new ideas to get the economy going. Just the same old ideas of the past that have failed. I have a plan. My plan calls for action that will get America working again and create good jobs, both near term and long term."

Romney emerged from his campaign break on July 4th to march in an Independence Day parade, but has otherwise held no public events. Romney's son Tagg accompanied his father to the hardware store for his statement.

Bradley's Hardware, which has stood on Railroad Avenue in Wolfeboro since 1950, is a family owned business that employs twelve people.

Answering a question from a reporter about taking a vacation during the heat of the campaign, Romney responded that he wanted more Americans to be able to take breaks.

"I'm delighted to be able to take a vacation with my family," Romney said. "I think all Americans appreciate the memories that they have with their children and their grandchildren. I hope that more Americans are able to take vacations, and if I'm president of the United States, I'm going to work very hard to make sure we have good jobs for all Americans who want good jobs, and as part of a good job the capacity to take a vacation now and then with their loved ones."

Filed under: 2012 • Jobs • Mitt Romney
  1. Oliver

This really makes me physically sick. The way the GOP has done everything in their power not to help the president create jobs for their own political gains. Then they come out and blame him for the current economic conditions. THEY destroyed the economy. THEY are PURPOSEFULLY standing in the way of recovery. So America families suffer, and Mitt and his cronies will profit. Lord help us if he is elected because of these games, because it will only get worse. While corporations are making record profits, the middle class will have it all taken from them.

July 6, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  2. Clinton Doyle

How can people be considering voting for Obama? I just don't get the rationale. People need to work. If they don't work, you can scrap all the social programs, health programs you care about because there will never be enough tax revenue to fund them. Obama cares about spending but CANNOT figure out how to enact policies that get this engine going again. It's time for a change – I voted Democrat at my local level, but I cannot vote for Obama in good conscience. I've had enough. To see good friends hunting, hunting for a job – and then to see Obama maintain huge corp tax rates, raise insurance rates so that my small business owner friends can't hire due to premium increases – no sense in it.

July 6, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. Name Rob

Wow, I've never known anyone to be so full of it in my life.

July 6, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. mike

CNN is trying their best to spin this horrible jobs report. I am sure Wolf Blitzer will blame Bush. CNN is such a tool. Their ratings reflect it.

July 6, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. s

Tagg, thats a dogs name!!!! I love his so called plans, we never here any details. Maybe he should throw a bone to Tagg and see if he fetches.

July 6, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. rs

Mr. Romney- Get real! You and your party have't done one thing for the middle class since Reagan got elected. In fact you promise to return precisely to the policies of Mr. Bush (whose many political hacks occupy your campaign). Seriously? MORE trickle down economics? MORE wealthy welfare? MORE petroleum subsidies?
    The GOP has wrecked the middle class, and promises more of the same.

Either come out with a real plan to help Amercia, or move to your precious Caymen Islands with your vast fortune.

July 6, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. iTeach

I really dislike him! Pompus, arrogant, and self-righteous. We can all take time with our families without jetting off to one of our many vacation homes. He is so out of touch with middle class America and completely oblivious to the lower class. Blah!

July 6, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. laserman59

Mitt Romney is a LIAR!! I get a "kick in the gut" every time he takes the stage. He must be delighted with the bad economy.

July 6, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. WatchDawg

Your right Mitt, lets go back to losing 700,000 jobs a month...the middle class was thrilled with that...

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. Marry

“…a lot of misery in America today…” Well, Mr. Romney, who do you think caused this misery? Or if you do not want to talk about that – what has the GOP in Congress done to end it?
    “…good jobs for all Americans who want good jobs…” This already shows you the next GOP excuse when their old trickle down plans bring the country down again: Well there are just not enough Americans who want good jobs!

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. pflatman

Oy. Brylcreem man is starting to sound more and more like Sarah Palin. Mindless jabber, doom and gloom, nothing good to say about anything. For the millions of employed, things are looking pretty darn good. For those who are unemployed, one can only wonder: With corporations holding over 2 trillion in cash, why don't they hire? Why the layoffs? Because corporate America (in many ways, subsidized by the taxpayer) has focused more on executive compensation instead of shareholder equity and worker fairness.

America needs to fire this cretin in November, along with the other Republican good old boys.

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  12. Phil Thomas

This guy really celebrates bad numbers, not even 10 minutes and he was ready to call a press conference. I read this with an open mind hoping for New Ideas and Romney didn't give me anything we haven't done in the steep decline we have had in the last few months in his little speech. I don't blame Obama it takes a long time to dig yourself out of this mess were in and people keep re electing the same idiots to congress every year. I wish this guy would come up with a plan, idea something other than attacking the pres I'm sure it plays well to his base but it irritates those of us not beholden to a party

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. Texan

What if instead of handing Mitt $100 MILLION in a single month the fat cats hired some people? Oh, but then they could not blame Barak for the depressed empoyment rate.

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. Nc0gn8

I think excessive CEO pay is a kick in the middle-class gut. And so is job exportation. And Ponzi schemes, and war, and scapegoating...

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Harry From Pa

Lying and flipflopping and saying whatever it takes because you are rich and think we are supposed to believe it is a kick in the gut Romney.....

July 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Name Kay

He says he has a plan. I would like him to talk about the plan.

July 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. Steve

Really? Highest corporate tax rate in the world? Excellent talking point but find me one company that pays it... He should know about the failed policies of the past, his party enacted them and put us here.

July 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. Eiolgj

Romney has the financial means to create jobs, but no, he has squirreled away his money off-shore to keep from investing in America. Do as I say, not as I do? Huh?

July 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Instead of blaming Obama, Mr. Romney, tell your GOP buddies to pass the jobs bill and stop the kicking in the gut but I guess you don't have the guts to do that.

July 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. Victor

Please Mr. Romney,

I keep hearing you talk about all these different strategies you will use and the great ideas you have to create jobs. Though, as I read through this whole article you did not mention one of them. Let's start hearing some facts and cut down on the rhetoric. That may work with some, but the intelligent independents of this country, who will elect or reject you, need actual facts. Not campaign words.

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Mike

Not to be confused with Romney personally kicking people in the gut while at Bain Capital . . .

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  22. StuckyBTuna

"I have a plan. My plan calls for action..." – Calling for action isn't a plan. What's the plan, MItt? One that actually makes sense and you can get through congress, please.

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  23. DoubleW

Gosh, Romney is concerned about American families? Maybe he can start reassembling all those American companies he helped dismantle, and bring those lost american jobs back home!

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  24. BLKMANinAmerica

"It's consistent with what I've heard as I've gone across the country and met with families in their homes, in cafes and restaurants and in break rooms," Romney said. "American families are struggling. There's a lot of misery in America today, and these numbers understate what people are feeling and the amount of pain which is occurring in middle class America."..............WOW I guess this dude thinks it's time to show some concern about middle America, people he (I'm sure) dosen't know anything about.................WHAT A FAKE!

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  25. Name

We have seen what republican policies have done for the US.. Enough said

July 6, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |