(CNN) – Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, whose name is often floated as a potential running mate for Mitt Romney, defended the presumptive GOP presidential nominee Sunday against attacks over Romney's offshore investments.
"Look, I'm happy he's a successful businessman. We've got a president today who's never run a business, never run anything including a lemonade stand before he was president of the United States," Jindal said.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
His comments follow a week full of Democratic-led swipes at Romney for placing his money overseas in so-called tax havens, such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Switzerland.
Pressed Sunday on whether or not Romney's finances should be an influential factor in this election, Jindal described the attacks as "distractions" but said voters will likely remember them as they head to the polls.
"I think voters will consider all of the distractions thrown out by the Obama campaign," Jindal said on ABC's "This Week."
President Barack Obama's re-election campaign immediately seized on Jindal's comments, pointing out that Jindal declined to directly address questions about Romney's overseas investments and saying the governor "can't explain away" the candidate's accounts.
On the same ABC program, Gov. Martin O'Malley of Maryland furthered the Democratic attack line against Romney, arguing the candidate is hypocritical when he calls for creating jobs in America yet sends his own money outside the country.
"You want talk about going the way of Europe? What went the way of Europe were the Swiss bank accounts and the American dollars that Mitt Romney stuffed in that offshore Swiss bank account," O'Malley said, later adding that "Mitt Romney bets against America."
His comments echo a choir of other Democratic voices Sunday morning pushing the same message.
On CNN's "State of the Union," Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs called on Romney to release more than the two years' worth of tax returns he has so far made public as a way to answer questions about his investments.
"This is a guy whose slogan is 'Believe in America,' and it should be 'business in Bermuda,'" Gibbs said.
Meanwhile, on "Fox News Sunday," Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz also joined in on the blitz.
"Americans need to ask themselves, why does an American businessman need a Swiss bank account and secretive investments like that?" Schultz said.
The Obama campaign also released a new two-and-a-half minute web video on Sunday, asking the same questions of Romney's investments, namely those listed in a Vanity Fair article published earlier this week that first kicked off the wave of attacks.
Romney's campaign has continually insisted that Romney, whose wealth could be worth as much as $250 million, has never been guilty of tax evasion nor broken any laws in his carefully managed finances.
Responding to the Sunday morning bombardment, the campaign described the attacks as "unseemly and disgusting."
"The Obama campaign's latest unfounded character assault on Mitt Romney is unseemly and disgusting," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul. "Mitt Romney had a successful career in the private sector, pays every dime of taxes he owes, has given generously to charitable organizations, and served numerous causes greater than himself. Barack Obama has become what he once ran against - a typical politician willing to use false and dishonest attacks to save his job after failing to do his job. The American people expected more from this president, and he continues to let them down."
You have to pay the price... Mitt cannot go on the campaign trail declaring trickle down economics works... because he is living proof that when the wealthy get more money, it doesn't equate to more jobs being created... it just shows that they hide their profit overseas. Mitt can claim he created jobs.. in Inda, China while in the United States he was tearing up businesses and telling employees if they wanted to keep their jobs, they needed to take pay cuts. But once again simply forgets facts, and suddenly claims it was Obama who is creating underemployment. Mitt is the King of Underemployment.. but of course, we know him and his wealthy buddies won't be happy until the minimum wage is abolished and wages are equal to those of the chinese factory workers.
How can America vote for a man that says he believes in America yet has millions in off-shore accounts?
What he's saying without actually saying, though, is that being a successful businessman in the United States equates to doing things like outsourcing jobs, investing your money off-shore, and doing other things that disqualify you for the term "jobs creator." I think that's the honest truth, too, and don't have a problem with that definition, nor do I have a problem with someone being a successful businessman. What I have a problem with is the fact that the Republicans' rhetoric is built on top of businessmen being job creators. They are, or they're not. And–they're not. The jobs creators are the millions of us consumers who buy products and create demand so that the HR people will tell the businessmen that more jobs are needed.
Today Jindal didn’t give straight answers, its hard job defending Romney wealth ,its too big
When its come to jobs Romney only talk about keystone pipe line, it won’t create 12 millions jobs
Immigration Romney solution is self deportation it won’t work
Romney said, he will repeal Obamani care and keep some part then who pick up the tab
Education we can’t pick and choose in kindergarten level
Foreign policy next month he will do the experimental trip, including say hello to old friend
Simple Romney is boring Not like 2008 Hillary , Obama and Palin
Mental lightweight Jindal. President Obama is using the vulture capitalist attack that the Anybody but Mitt McCain primary gave him to use. Mitt(I have nothing to offer)Mccain must be desperate to have a lightweight defend him.
folks we are living in a world of robots and computer systems. it's very hard for a human being compete with that, the repubs are shouting to throw government to the side, and put these corporate robots, and computer system in charge of the American people, because as what mitten say, corporation are people too. I wonder how many more gullibles, are these repubs under studies will get to sign over their best interest to their corporate greed.
Here is the "business experience" that Bobby J says will help our country (the Bain working model):
1. Hostile takeover (steal the election; Mittens already proven he's willing to do that with his buying of votes in Maine during the Repub primaries).
2. Suck out the assets (lower taxes on the wealthy; eliminate capital gains taxes).
3. Reduce operating expenses to finance the debt (lower taxes means lower revenues means higher deficit; eliminate social spending, cut education, let infrastructure continue to crumble and decay, lay off public employees).
4. Take his "fees" for his "expert management services" (see #2 above: he and his millionaire/billionaire cronies would benefit the most from the reduced/eliminated taxes).
5. Leave the company to go bankrupt (our nation would permanently fall into third-world status, with virtually no Middle Class and an uneducated, sprawling poverty class, desperate to work for 50 cents/day, totally dependent on the charity of those few charitable organizations the right deem "worthy" of their donations).
6. Move on to the next target company (invest in emerging nations such as China and India, where labor is cheap and regulations are minimal; make further millions and billions, lining their own pockets and chalking up their killing of America to the "free market correcting itself").
That kind of "experience" we don't need.
Do a little research and you'll soon learn that Bain targeted companies with lots of assets, took them over, borrowed against them, paid themselves handsomely, then set them adrift to try to get out from under all the debt. Some did make it (with reduced salaries and benefits for the remaining employees), but many more failed.
That's why it's called vulture capitalism: Because Bain and Mittens and all the others were in it for the kill, to pick the bones clean and then leave the carcass behind.
Bain's investors made out, but American workers were laid off and American jobs were shipped overseas as a result.
Bobby J may think that's good for our country, but then again, he's a fool.
So the Republicans are going to settle on an east coast, elite, millionaire from an aristocratic family? What is his experience that will make him a successful Conservative President?
1. He fires people, lays off employees, and outsources jobs while pocketing the pension funds of those same employees.
2. He is comfortable in an upper class setting. After all, America IS the upper class, isn't it? The little people, like you and I, are not really very important. People of Romney's class and background see us as livestock that can understand English.
3. He does not care if Americans suffer. He has made lots of them suffer so far in his life. He's made of tough stuff. No weepy compassion will ever cloud his judgment.
4. He knows how to destroy corporations and sell off their assets. He could use those skills to destroy the federal government, a stated goal of Conservatism
5. After the Romney Administration is over in 2016 or 2018, Conservatives will say, "Hey, you can't blame us for the disastrous Romney Administration. He wasn't a TRUE Conservative. What we need is a TRUE Conservative like Ron Paul or Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum … or maybe govornor Palin."
Unlike Mittens, President Obama's policies have strengthened our country and continue to move us forward. All Mittens knows how to do is suck off the assets of a business to the detriment of employees, in an effort to line the pockets of investors who put money before any other consideration.
If we elect Mittens as POTUS, we will go to war with Iran, probably preemptively again. Lord knows, Republicans don't know how to innovate new industry and don't like investing in our people or our country. They just want to make money, the easy and lazy way but outsourcing American jobs, and if they betray the country that has given them so much, well, then, that's just the price of doing business.
Karl Rove, Grover Norquist, Dick Armey and the Koch brothers want Romney, because he's a good little lap dog with the kind of "business" experience they want: Someone who will further the economic policies of the GOP, which fail our country and line the pockets of the multinational corporations using American taxpayer money to invest in China and India and every other third-world nation with cheap labor and no environmental regulations.
Wake up, America, and accept the reality that the GOP couldn't care less about the US! The GOP wants to make easy money off of foreign government contracts, building infrastructure where there isn't any, for people who are used to making pennies a day and have no recourse when their environment is destroyed and the food they eat is poisoned. We're old news to the GOP; we actually expect something more than a dog-eat-dog world where the wealthy can do whatever they damn well please without consequence!
Wake up and vote Democratic in 2012. You remember Democrats, right? We're the party that wants to take care of our country, not leave it in the dust.
Bobby J rightly claims Mittens is a success as a businessman. He goes on to say that this experience makes Mittens qualified to lead our country.
Pesky little problem, though: Bobby neglects to mention that Mittens made his millions breaking up American companies, laying off American workers and shipping American jobs overseas.
While the heart of capitalism is make a buck any way you can, I believe our country needs a leader who wants to invest HERE, in OUR country and OUR people, not some hack who sells us all down the river to boost the bottom line for a bunch of multinational corporations.
Bobby J and the GOP love to say say Mittens should be POTUS because he's such a "good businessman," and yet Mittens would have let the American auto industry die, causing millions of Americans to lose their jobs. Mittens also thinks we should let the housing market bottom out so investors can buy up homes cheap and then rent them back to their former owners.
Mittens = Loser
Why do you useless Repubs insist on saying that our president has no past history of accomplishment??? Lemonade stand?? Really you are reaching to the depths for this garbage!!!He was in the U.S. Senate...twelve years as Illimnois state Senator, Civil rights attorney and professor of law also Head of Harvard law review....any one of which can take you as a govenor!!! What a jerk you are...but then that is the repub stance>>>>well....November just might shut you up!!!
That old saw that President Obama didn't have business experience! *yawn*
Here's President Obama's approach to our country:
– Kept us from going into a Great Depression
– Has resulted in 27 straight months of private sector job creation
– Brought the Dow from approx. 7,000 to over 12,000
– Cut taxes for 95% of Americans
– Ended the war in Iraq and is winding down the war in Afghanistan
– Eliminated Osama bin Lade
– Eliminated the hierarchy of al Qaeda, greatly reducing its influence in the world
– Saved GM and the millions of jobs the auto industry affects
– Brought about real health care reform that now keeps insurance companies from dropping you when you get sick/born with a birth defect, and allows children up to 26 to stay on their parents' policy
– Business start-up activity is now higher than it was during the dotcom boom
– Manufacturing has grown by the most since 2004
– Has made these specific budget cuts (among many others): Cut salaries of senior White House aides; made $20 Billion in budget cuts; provided that Members of Congress shall not receive a cost of living adjustment in pay during fiscal year 2011; eliminated F-22 fighter jet program after lobbying Senate vote to strip financing for more jets from a defense funding authorization bill; canceled contract for new Presidential helicopter fleet (28 helicopters, $11.2 billion)
Google the Obama Administration's list of accomplishments and you'll see many, many more.
I'd say our President has a pretty darn good "approach" to our country. All Mittens has to offer is Republican policies that are PROVEN FAILURES.
There's only one sane choice November 2012: Obama/Biden
Bain didn't build businesses; it bought and sold themn. Chew on the fact that Bain's business OUTSOURCED to maximize profits that falls into the pockets of Bain. Any of the companies they were involved in lowerd the wages and benefits of workers. Facts are meaningless with the GOP. By hook or crook captures their game to regain power. Ugh
Oh Bobby, your pathetic response simply to toe the GOP line is ineffective and less than genuine! Karma is an amazing thing and your time will come when what you are currently spewing will come back to bite you. Don't worry, it will!
All the Republicans all over the country can ralley and scream & shout an Hoop-n-Hollar all they want to. But at the end of the day, The TRUTH comes out and that you can NOT change.It's too bad the Republican Party didn't jump in and help put this country back on it's feet back in 2009 like they should have.We wouldn't be in this severly devided political power play we are all engaged in now.So when November 6th comes up, the people will decide and all the MONEY in the world will not do any good. The United States of America is NOT 4 SALE! Obama will be RE–ELECTED !
There can not be character attacks on Romney because he has no character. Release the tax returns so we will know where the money is invested. What is Romney hiding, what is he ashamed and afraid of?
Just what kind of 'business' did Romney run? Did he produce anything, either goods or services? No. He manipulated other peoples' work to make money for himself and his bosses. Contrast him with someone like Bill Gates, who actually produced something. Bill is a capitalist, Romney is a parasite on capitalism.
Mr j how many acct do you have overseas?
Mr J and Mr A since you are under Mr R defency how many acct do you have overseas or are you not smart enough to open one to aviod paying tax and also save the money for your 50th generations.
Governor Jindal has given many interviews and made many statements in support of Governor Romney. He has refused to be part of some Obama initiatives but the citizens of Louisiana are not getting top-notch services right now. The oil spill is still not resolved and many lost their livelihoods. Which businesses will be coming to LA? What will Governor Romney bring to LA?
Please do not tell us about these great charitable contributions unless the campaign is ready to give us the names.
Yeah it's okay if we invest our rich $ overseas to avoid taxes they should be paying to OUR government. Let's just keep blaming Obama as to whil the economy is bad while we invest overseas and have do nothing house to help out.