Romney talks VP prospects in e-mail to supporters
July 14th, 2012

Romney talks VP prospects in e-mail to supporters

(CNN) - Mitt Romney has repeatedly declined to answer questions about his vice presidential selection process, but he raised the subject in an e-mail Saturday to supporters.

"Sometime soon, I will be choosing a vice presidential candidate to join our winning ticket," he wrote.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The e-mail from the candidate follows a similar one from his campaign manager, Matt Rhoades, on Thursday which invited supporters to donate to his campaign and enter themselves for a chance to meet Romney and his choice for No. 2.

"I would like the chance to personally introduce my running mate to you," Romney wrote in the e-mail.

The e-mail offered no indication of who he may pick.

"There are many incredible men and women who I would be lucky to have as a running mate," he wrote. "And that's why I'm so excited to invite you to meet him or her on the campaign trail with me."

The message, however, may offer a suggestion as to when Romney's decision could come.

Rhoades wrote in his Thursday email, "Every week until the VP announcement is made, one lucky supporter will win the chance to meet Mitt and his choice for VP."

But the candidate's Saturday e-mail requested donations and entries "before tomorrow at midnight" and made no mention of the contest continuing in future weeks.

There has been some speculation that Romney would announce his choice prior to his international trip later this month.

Romney was at his home in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, on Saturday and his campaign announced no public events for the day.

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Mitt Romney
  1. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Mitt(I have nothing to offer)McCain is on the run from our great President Obama. Nobody wants to go down in flames with him.

July 15, 2012 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  2. me

Pick Candy Rice and give the election to Obama.

July 15, 2012 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  3. Peter

Don't hold your breath folks. We may be in for a long wait, almost as long or longer than the release of ALL his tax returns.

July 15, 2012 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  4. Jack

This sounds like a stunt Donald Trump would pull. Republicans have no class these days.

July 15, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  5. RRJ25

Romney promised to cut every unnecessary government department. In other words, massive layoffs. That's what he did at Bain when they took over a company. How will that lower unemployment? And not just for government employees, but for any company who contracts with the government.
    It will be economic disaster.

July 15, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  6. Doug

He has oviously decided . Just look at who he appears with now.

July 15, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  7. Miki801

Everytime Romney looks at a person it implies that the ultimate choice is somehow better suited to serve as vice president. When we get involved in the choice as the public, we often forget that. Ms. Rice has had experience in running a university, which is a complicated business, and also international affairs. However, when you read many of the postings on blogs, she would never pass the bigot test regardless of her stands on the conservative tests.

July 15, 2012 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  8. Joan

While he's at it maybe Issa and Trump could help him decide how many tax returns he should provide. They seem to be pretty good at that kind of thing.

July 15, 2012 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Mitt Romney, the elitist and flip-flopper is such a dishonest person and a liar, its amazing that people in this country still supports him! First he shipped jobs to China and laid off American workers to make a profit, then he turns around and say other people at Bain and not he was responsible for outsourcing jobs! Now that the Obama administration is putting pressure on him to release more of his tax returns, I presume he will soom come out and blame someone else for investing his money in foreign banks!

July 15, 2012 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  10. BobAD Iowa

Just bring your tax returns with you.

July 15, 2012 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. ED FL

It is laughable to hear/read that Condi Rice might be considered as a Vice President contender.Everyday we hear GOP'ers takling about the President and his Africa American heritage. Excuse me the last time I saw Condi Rice I believe she was a person of color which is definitley a NO NO in the GOP personel requirements.I think that Romney is a GOP candidate.

July 15, 2012 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Its laughable when the media and some repiublican start to entertain the possibility of RIce being Romney's running mate! Yes its LAUGHABLE because as Romney's running mate, Rice would have to defend the Bush failed and tragic policies that she supported for eight straigt years. But then again, its laughable that Mitt Romney is still neck and neck in some polls with the President even though he has already endorsed, adopted and pledged to defend and protect the Bush policies to the best of his ability! Yes that is LAUGHABLE!

July 15, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  13. Peggy Munro

Anticipation, drum roll, yawn.

July 15, 2012 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  14. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

@ ED FL

What you said about Rice being of African heritage is right on cue! For three years the birthers have rediculed the President, referring to him as a Kenyan and not an American, but most African-American ancestors who came to America as slaves originated from East Africa and places like kenya and so did Rice's ancestors!

July 15, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

I have listened to all the republican candidates during the republican presidential primaries and I immediately came out with the impression that Mitt Romney was the onlyt decent, fair and objective of the bunch! And I still felt that way to a degree even when he made his gaffle about not being concerned for the poor because there's a safety net. However, when Romney went before the NAACP and referred to the Affordable Care Act as Obamacare, his disrespect for the President and congress just showed how low he can get. Furthermore, when Mitt addressed conservatives later that night and said to the American people, if you want free stuff and handouts, vote for the other guy, I was convinced that Mitt who I once respected to some degree has become as low as the rest of the republican establishment that has conspired to derail the Obama administration and undermine our democracy. Mitt Romney, I believe the stimilus packages passed by the Obama administration were done so out of NECESSITY to stabilized the American economy and create American jobs and these measures are not free stuff and handouts!

July 15, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  16. exrepublican

What a disgrace. To be a potential Romney VP in waiting means you are no more than a piece on the chess board. You are only being considered because your gender or race might be beneficial on election day. Your past accomplishments, if any are not an issue. Your only qualification needs to be, the number of votes you can get from the brainless people. So wipe away that fake smile Rubio. You are labeled by Romneys team "added latino votes" and nothing more.

July 15, 2012 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  17. SokrMom

I love the Romney-Condi idea, being a Democrat, and I look forward to seeing how it is received by Republican voters in November...

July 15, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

I will like to hear what Mitt Romney has to say about our Olympic uniforms being made in China! For three and a half years the GOP has accused the Obama administration of killing jobs and hurting small businesses! But in a time of economic crisis, wouldn't it have been nice to award a contract to a small-town American business to make our Olympic uniforms and put some Americans back to work? O' I get it, Ralph Lauren has the same business philosophy as Mitt Romney...that is if you wanna make a profit, ship jobs overseas where the labor is cheaper and the profit is vast!

July 15, 2012 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. Larry L

Romney's missing tax returns would show his attempts to hide his money and very well uncover shady deals he'd need to defend in court. Those returns will show the true Romney and that's something he wants to avoid at all costs.

July 15, 2012 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  20. GI Joe

I owned the company and took a really big salary. But I didn't do anything. Honest.

That's his business experience?

July 15, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. g

mitt and friends say making products in america would be to expensive ,not making products in the usa will be more expensive in the long run

July 15, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. JH

At least Romney was born an American!!!! Let's see if Obama will show his real birth certificate and all his returns. Romney has showed what tax returns need to be shown. Why are you folks stuck on this? Oh I know...you feel threatened just Obama does...I love it!!!! What's laughable here is just to sit back watch the LIBERALS....now thats a cartoon for sure.

July 15, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. Sarah

It's pretty obvious that he's trying to draw attention from the Bain fiasco, which keeps getting worse the more that Romney opens his mouth.

July 15, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. Larry L

"I want you to trust me to do the right thing and take care of all of the good, Christian, hard-working, middle-class folks. I won't give sweet tax breaks to the rich and help them avoid paying a reasonable share of taxes. You don't need to see my tax returns I'm hiding... Honest... Did I mention how much I like cheezy grits, NASCAR, and the rest of that stuff you people seem to enjoy? – Sincerely, Mitt"

July 15, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

@JH

President Obama was born in America too! O' wait, perhaps you're one of those Donald Trump type birthers who are still questioning the authenticity of the President's birth certificate? Hey, I have got an idea...what if you birthers show the American people your video tape of the President's mother giving birth to him in Kenya? Perhaps your video tape of the President's live birth will put the birther fiasco to rest once and for all! What dou ya say? Fool!

July 15, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |