Romney risks playing running mate hand too early
July 17th, 2012

Romney risks playing running mate hand too early

Washington (CNN) - Mitt Romney has a reputation for pragmatism, deliberation and playing it safe.

But if Romney reveals his vice presidential pick this week, as the latest round of campaign chatter suggests, he'll be throwing out the traditional campaign playbook that says a running mate should be announced around a national party convention for maximum impact, just as voters are starting to pay attention to the campaign.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Mitt Romney
  1. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

It doesn't matter who he picks as his running mate. His running mate won't distract us from what we want to see and that's Willard's taxes from 1999-2002.

July 17, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. Lionel

How about Romney releasing 12 years of tax returns. Now that would be nice before the summer so that voters can see why he wants to be president. This guy is hiding something.

"Putting Jobs First" – how about Republicans pass the Jobs bills in congress so that we can add the 1 million in new jobs to the economy. They need to stop sabotaging the recovery.

He needs to apologize to the American people why he lied about leaving Bain in 1999 when in fact in sworn testimony to the SEC he is listed as the CEO of Bain.

Obama / Biden 2012

July 17, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Romney wants to announce a pick now so that he can cut and run from Bain and tax returns.

July 17, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. ja

this man should be disqualified due to hidden money overseas, the gop should have vetted its canidates, sad day for america, when a canidate can hide money and be nominated despite

July 17, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. NVa Native

RoMoney is desperate to change the current focus on how when at Bain he outsourced thousands of US jobs to create more personal wealth ~ so he will do and risk anything to change that.
    So you ask how bad it is – guess how many private sector jobs were created last year?
    More than all the private sector jobs created during the eight horrible years of the Bush admin.
    It would be terrible if RoMoney was in office and implementing the same Bush policies that almost destroyed the US as RoMOney has said he will do.

July 17, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. I was not laid off in 2010, I "RETROACTIVELY RETIRED"!

Mittens knows what he is doing, the GOP clown car is in a deep ditch, and he HOPES it will take some of the heat off of his lies about Bain.

Not going to happen.

July 17, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. The GOP's "trickle down economics" has only provided pools of cash to the Caymans!

Oh, Mitty just announce you want Paul Ryan and then just fold the tents for 2012.

July 17, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Expat American

It seems that much of his support need an extra shot of espresso to really get energized about his campaign. How many of his support are actually voting for him, and not just against the President? Romney hasn’t taken a stance on anything at this point, and his platform remains quite vague. Voters from either party affiliation can say “So you have 3 or 4 super rich friends who give you money, and you pump out these silly high school AV club attack ads, but what else can you do but bully and cower?”
    I think the VP choice will be crucial to Romney as he will undoubtedly learn from the John McCain’s unexplainable momentary lapse of reason that brought us Miss Alaska Bikini Buffoon. Most likely he’ll need to rehash the Bush administration to choose his VP but that is a great risk.

July 17, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Marie MD

It's that what bullying, lying and cheating is now called "reputation for pragmatism, deliberation and playing it safe."
    I still think there's something wrong with this guy's brain. Maybe it's the pressure from his daddy and his church to make it to the WH. A job he doesn't want.
    Let's face it. This guy has done as little as possible in the real world while making millions. Why would he want a 24/7/365 job where he really HAS TO WORK?

July 17, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. ST

I do think it doesn't matter whether too early or too late. It depends on how capable the picked person is. Sarah Palin was not picked too early, still it didn't take days her weakness was exposed.

July 17, 2012 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. vote the Tea Party Out in 2012

it appears that if a topic comes up that the Romney camp is not very comfortable with such as
    Illegal immigration
    Healthcare
    Gay marriage and now Bain Capital and the tax documents instead of confronting it head on they seem to want to "change the subject". So of course Mitt making his pick this early would get people to stop talking about this tax stuff and start talking about the pick, especially since now the outcry is coming from certain Republicans to release his forms along with Democrats. If this is the type of person the majority of Americans pick to want to run our country then so be it. I will be at rest with myself knowing if that happens Nov 6 it won't be because I had anything to do with it.

July 17, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  12. just_a_moderate

Murdoch is right. The Romney camp looks like a bunch of amateurs.

There were moments when the primaries weren't even a lock for him and that was running against guys who were failing to get onto ballots and getting outspent 10:1.

Now he's in the general and, like him or not, Obama's got an exception team. This simply won't work. He's been on defense, in a complete stumble, for almost two weeks.

July 17, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  13. Sniffit

Playing runnng mate hand? Is that why his campaign orders so much lotion?

July 17, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. Thomas

Romney risks playing running mate hand too early.

Romney is a risk , and we don't need another risky leader , we had one for eight years.

Romney / GW Bush
    2016 , are you ready to do it again ?

July 17, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. Woman In California

Personally, I don't care who he picks, what he does with his dirty money or where he is, as long as he is NOT in the White House in January. I'm looking forward to the debates so the president can prove to the American people just how ignorant and low this guy is and also for those who can't seem to make up their minds, this will be an opportunity for them to finally realize we have the right man in the office at the right time and hopefully, they will get behind us and help re-elect our hard working, brilliant and respected President, Barack Obama.

July 17, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. Governor 47th in Job Creation (excluding jobs off-shored to China)

Willard is following the adage that desperate times call for desperate measures. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding his taxes and his retroactive retirement. He can't run on healthcare, he can't run on immigration, he can't run on his private sector experience, he knows that once the Olympics are scrutinized that will be a sore subject too, what's left? Ahh yes the VP.
    Show the tax returns Willard!!

July 17, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

If Romney can "retroactively retire", does that mean we can "proactively retire"? If so, I will announce my retirement in 2020. Meanwhile, I sit on my butt, collect my hard earned money, and use it to buy penny stocks in a company that I where I am the sole owner and investor. I purchase those penny stocks using my IRA. Overtime, I will add money and value to the corporation so that my penny stocks increase in value for pennies to Benjamins. That way I can inflate my $50,000 IRA of penny stocks to $50 million, AND NOT PAY ANY TAXES ON IT. In fact, as a double bonus I can invest in my company, those investments become a tax deduction off of my gross income. I am paying myself to pay myself!

July 17, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Bill

The Romney campaign continues it slow implosion. Great stuff.

July 17, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. B.

It doesn’t really matter who he picks,it is about him and the fact that people do not know or trust him!

He has not defined anything concerning working peoples concerns. It is all about his helping out the wealthy and powerful that own him.

He is a corporate Puppet like Bush was. Casino billionaires and Corporate entities he is owned buy would drive his decisions for themselves.

July 17, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

Governor 47th in Job Creation (excluding jobs off-shored to China)

---------------
    Romney is stuck between his own words and his own words.

July 17, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |