George W. Bush: Presidential afterlife is ‘awesome’
July 18th, 2012

George W. Bush: Presidential afterlife is ‘awesome’

(CNN) – George W. Bush says the “afterlife” of his Presidency has been, simply put, "awesome."

Bush’s wife, Laura, used the term “afterlife” to describe life after the presidency as documented by Bush in his book, "Decision Points," published after he left the White House. Asked by interviewer Peter Robinson of the Hoover Institution what Bush wanted to accomplish in his “afterlife,” Bush said contrary to the name, the “afterlife” has been “awesome.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I don’t want to undermine our president, whoever is president, and a former president can do that, and I think it’s bad for the presidency itself. And so I’m pretty content. The afterlife – really what she should have said was we’re now getting ready to start a new chapter in our life - afterlife being the afterlife of the presidency - but afterlife kind of gives the sense that you’re dead. And I have found that life after the presidency is awesome,” said Bush.

Bush discussed presidential life and work at the Bush Institution coinciding with the launch of the former president's book on economic growth - "The 4 Percent Solution: Unleashing the Economic Growth America Needs."

“Eight years was awesome, and I was famous and I was powerful but I have no desire for fame and power any more,” said Bush referring to his presidency.

Bush, who has been relatively absent from public life since leaving office, said he feels "a certain sense of liberation" stepping out of the spotlight.

"Well the other person who has served as a role model for me for a long time was George H. W. Bush, who famously said once you leave the stage you stay off the stage, and I thought long and hard about that. And decided that not being on the stage was something I am comfortable with," said Bush.

Filed under: George W. Bush
  1. Sniffit

I bet. He must be so psyched that he can watch Saturday morning cartoons once more.

July 18, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Bush needs to share some of that "awesome" with Dick Cheney. Cheney is the most disgraceful former executive this nation has had in our lifetimes. Cheney needs to retire and stay retired. He needs to live the awesome afterlife like Bush is doing. It would probably do his heart a lot of good, to boot.

July 18, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. NateUTA

See you at the Rangers game Bush!

July 18, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  4. Obama 2012 - MOVE Forward America, NOT another round of DUBYA's FAILURES

Due to Dubya and the GOP's economic policies, many of us wish he'd never been voted onto the stage by the SCOTUS. He should stay [permanently] gone – along with Mittens – so we can let Obama finish his job of cleaning up the economic trash heap he inherited.

July 18, 2012 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  5. difoderit

There is a lot of blood on your hands there dubya – so glad to hear your life is so "Awesome" though!

July 18, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Bush tax cuts, Bush unfunded wars, Bush unfunded TARP, Bush unfunded drug program, asleep at the wheel on 9-11, Hekkuvah job Brownie, Mission Accomplished, $4.6 trillion added to the national debt, and a near depression. Do you miss him yet?

July 18, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  7. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

Thank you for staying out of the public eye. Now tell that to your VP.

July 18, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  8. slkwly

So, the person whose 8 years in office led us to the financial crisis is writing a book on economic growth? wow...forget the immediate joke about his ability to write, but the fact that he chose to write about the economy is oxymoronic at the least and hilarious at best. I guess after you screw something up and leave scot-free with no more responsibility, a guaranteed pension and "government" health insurance and security protection for life, life is pretty awesome.

July 18, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

I wish George would call up Mitt and tell him that he will never win if he doesn't release more taxes. Say! If Romney did win the election, do you think he would release returns during his years in office?

July 18, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. Lizzie

Wire......if Pres.Clinton would have listened to the warning signs we would probably not had to deal with 9/11, if the democrats would not have dismantled the intellegance community to the bare bones, we probably would not had to deal with 9/11, etc. etc.

July 18, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Sorry GWB, we don't want another Bush in the WH, that means Jeb or anyone else with the last name Bush or even remotely related to a Bush.

July 18, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Christy

If Obama can't fix the bad economy then Bush didn't create the bad economy. You cannot have both libs!

July 18, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He was given 8 years too many as far as I am concerned. He engaged in a war that wasn't needed (Iraq) and took from the war that was needed (Afghanistan) to do it. He cut taxes during a time of conflict which caused more debt. There was the Medicare addition that wasn't paid for when enacted. This is a short list.

He did help spur new funding for AIDS. That is a good thing he did.

July 18, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. once upon a horse

Counter to some of my buddies on the left, I do not dislike GW Bush at all......I think he was a good man, not a good president and his policies were made by the likes of Cheney and Karl Rove. I would not mind sitting down and even chatting with him one day. Karl Rove or Dick Cheney on the other hand I wouldn't open my door or walk out my house to see them if they were visiting my street.

July 18, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. n

Yeah, after you and your cronies raided america and tanked the economy, I quest it is awesome for you. Next!

July 18, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. edpeters101

George W. Bush: Presidential afterlife is ‘awesome’. Imagine how awesome it is for us! the only thing that would be better is if he moved in with his old VP, on an isolated place so nobody would ever write about either of them again (which only brings back memories of some of the darkest days the US has endured)!

July 18, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Hmmph. I wonder if Bush is doing today, exactly what he did during his terms of office. Lay low, and kick back. He did spend at least 2 months out of every year on "working vacations" in Texas or Camp David. I am beginning to suspect that he laid low, while Cheney was calling the shots, leading from behind Bush.

July 18, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Proud Conservative Veteran

Are you better off now than you were four years ago?

July 18, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. Expat American

Bush, Cheney, Rove, and Rumsfeld – they should all be in jail.

July 18, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. ST

Anyone can look cool, but awesome takes practice. Well done "W", you have practiced a lot not to engage yourself in public matters. You deserve respect, your former VP doesn't.

July 18, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  21. g

after collecting all his blood money from off shore banking–life is good

July 18, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Kristenacious

Go on, GWB Haters – get it all out – get all your frustrations out – you'll need your head for the coming economic collapse with higher food prices, and the jobs you'll lose...and you can't balme it any more on GWB – you can thank your ridiculously smug Prez ...Mr Almighty Obama.

July 18, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Four and The Door

I went to an event put together by our Chamber of Commerce where George W. Bush was featured. I can tell you that there was a full turnout and he was received like a star. It was set up as an interview/ discussion and he was brilliant and it was great to hear him talk about all of the challenges through his terms. This was not a Republican event... primarily business people, but he was 100% welcomed and enjoyed by the audience. Huge show of support for him.

July 18, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. Hale

Probably snickering every morning at our current loser of a President.

July 18, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. donnie

at least he has enough class to keep hismouth shut when it comes to the presidency. Unlike the rest of his crowd.

July 18, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |