Weiner: No plans to run for mayor
July 18th, 2012

Weiner: No plans to run for mayor

(CNN) – Former Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner, who resigned last year amid scandal, said in an interview published Wednesday he had no immediate plans to run for office.

“I can’t say absolutely that I will never run for public office again, but I’m very happy in my present life. I’m not doing anything to plan a campaign,” Weiner told People Magazine when asked about rumors he was considering a run for New York mayor.

In June 2011, the former New York congressman left office in his seventh term after being caught sending lewd messages and photos to at least six women other than his wife, Huma Abedin, deputy chief of staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

It came to light shortly after his resignation that Abedin was pregnant with their first child.

Weiner argued that last year was “the best year of my life” and discussed his time of being a stay-at-home dad with their now 6-month-old son, Jordan.

“I’ve had enormous regrets about what I put Huma through, how I let my constituents down,” he said. “But it’s not like I sit all day replaying it in my mind. With a baby, it’s pretty easy to put things into perspective.”

Sitting alongside her husband during the interview, Abedin said she was “proud to be married to him.”

“My husband did a really stupid thing. It was an extremely painful time,” she said. “But there was love and a commitment to this marriage. … It took a lot of work to get where we are today, but I want people to know we’re a normal family.”

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Congress • New York
  1. Leeford

Good for them. I am glad his actions did not destroy their family. Maybe this was God's plan that he be home with his baby.

July 18, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

That makes sense to me. It is still too close to the cause of his leaving office. Do something that is positive in the mean time.

July 18, 2012 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  3. King

the repubs got rid of the best little attack dog the dems had, sometimes I wish the dems unified stance was half as good as their rabid counter half is, but I guest they chose to chose country first, when the repubs chose their lunatic party.

July 18, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  4. yolanda

The fact that this clown has the cojones to be seen in public is astounding. What a total dirtbag.

July 18, 2012 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  5. Barry Soetoro

Wiener is the poster boy for rampant liberalism.

July 18, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  6. Thomas

I'm glad he worked out his issues with his wife and child.

However it would be better if he stayed out of politics , His actions caused to much damage and diversion in the house .

There are other opportunities then politics for him outside public service.

July 18, 2012 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  7. scranton

Huma, you are a saint. Your husband is a weiner.

July 18, 2012 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  8. Toby McDooogan

He supports Obama!

July 18, 2012 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  9. NJ Pilot

Good.
    A minor and personal matter that this couple has resolved.
    Let he who is without fault throw the first stone.......I won't, that's for sure.

July 18, 2012 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  10. Get a job Hippies

i note that they did not offer a video clip of this interview and i doubt they made it through this with a straigh face.

July 18, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  11. Maryellen

I wish them the best and hope that they can truely move past the stupid mistakes he made but I wouldn't vote for him if he ran for office.

July 18, 2012 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  12. Marie MD

This guy had a freat future in his wake and was too stupid to know better.
    Maybe he can come back at some time because he did fight for everyone in the house. He is partly responsible for the first responders after 9/11 to get medical insurance and money.

July 18, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  13. Willie12345

Creepy, just plain creepy.

July 18, 2012 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  14. hkirwin

She means they are a normal liberal famiily.

July 18, 2012 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  15. Mike

Typical liberal pervert.

July 18, 2012 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  16. Al-NY,NY

Barry Soetoro

Wiener is the poster boy for rampant liberalism.
    ------------

Mark Sanford....David Vitter (still in office)......John Ensign (still in office) to name a few so don't try to paint the democrats (who have plenty of issues of their own) as the only party with indiscretions

July 18, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  17. Evangenital

I'd vote for him again and again. In a MINUTE!

July 18, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  18. realtalker

They are not a normal family. They are an exceptional family. Truth is men do this kind of stuff all the time (please understand by this kind of stuff I do not mean the exact activity that Weiner participated in. I mean innapropriate stuff whatever that may be). They find it shameful themselves but they are sort of caught in a trap of impulsive behavior and are embarrased and scared of being judged negatively so they keep it to themselves. But eventually if the behavior continues it finds a way out. Someone is going to find out. His wife was hurt but was able to understand and forgive him. He has (I'm assuming) overcome this stronghold in his life and has become a good upstanding family man and his family is thriving. Most women would have immediately filed for divorce without any attempt at a resolution. Weiner is lucky to have such an awesome woman in his life and she is blessed to have a man who was big enough to humble himself and make the necessary changes in his life to restore his family.

July 18, 2012 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  19. pa2hunter

he was an a hole then he is an a hole now. I will never understand these liberal women that stay after things like this.

July 18, 2012 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  20. Edward

Wow, America is hung up about the weirdest things. He was an excellent congressman, but that doesn't matter. What matters is he sent some silly pictures of himself over his phone. In more mature countries we would look at his work rather than his personal life.

July 18, 2012 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  21. g

and some people would rather follow a unpatriotic thief like romney

July 18, 2012 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  22. Pamela

I really don't understand the hatred for Anthony Wiener. He made a mistake, clearly, but that's between him and his wife. If every person who made a mistake in their marriage lost their career our country would collapse from lack of workers. People who rip on him and say he should be ashamed to go out in public are just projecting their own bitterness and they sound ridiculous. I'd bet $10 they are the ones who go to church every week too.

July 18, 2012 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  23. Core republican Values

Huma has apparently made her peace with the bulge in the underpants.

July 18, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  24. Miroslava

There is always France...

July 18, 2012 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  25. Critical Thinking

KARMA, KARMA, KARMA..I love KARMA. This man, and I use the term lightly, got caught embarrasing not only himself but his pregnant wife in the process. And like most perverts, this is not the only time this occurred and I would bet not the last time. This guy is a disgrace.

July 18, 2012 09:28 am at 9:28 am |