Weiner: No plans to run for mayor
July 18th, 2012

Weiner: No plans to run for mayor

(CNN) – Former Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner, who resigned last year amid scandal, said in an interview published Wednesday he had no immediate plans to run for office.

“I can’t say absolutely that I will never run for public office again, but I’m very happy in my present life. I’m not doing anything to plan a campaign,” Weiner told People Magazine when asked about rumors he was considering a run for New York mayor.

In June 2011, the former New York congressman left office in his seventh term after being caught sending lewd messages and photos to at least six women other than his wife, Huma Abedin, deputy chief of staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

It came to light shortly after his resignation that Abedin was pregnant with their first child.

Weiner argued that last year was “the best year of my life” and discussed his time of being a stay-at-home dad with their now 6-month-old son, Jordan.

“I’ve had enormous regrets about what I put Huma through, how I let my constituents down,” he said. “But it’s not like I sit all day replaying it in my mind. With a baby, it’s pretty easy to put things into perspective.”

Sitting alongside her husband during the interview, Abedin said she was “proud to be married to him.”

“My husband did a really stupid thing. It was an extremely painful time,” she said. “But there was love and a commitment to this marriage. … It took a lot of work to get where we are today, but I want people to know we’re a normal family.”

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Congress • New York
  1. Sandy

I really don't think he did anything that bad, at least not to the public. All he did was tweet pictures of himself in his underwear. The worst thing he did was lie about it because he didn't want his wife to know. Because he didn't do anything really bad, I was disappointed that the Democrats didn't stand up for him.

July 18, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  2. Really?

He wants people to know they are a normal family. Oh, so that's why he's the stay at home dad. Women's libbers have turned the men into a bunch of wimps and call it normal.

July 18, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. karen

He paid for his mistakes, I would vote for him. People do CHANGE. People do stupid things all the time. As far as im concerned, she is the one who needed to forgive him, and she did. Case closed!!!

July 18, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. realtalker2

realtalker.....don't be so narrow minded and sexist. The truth is "people" do stupid stuff all the time. Personally I know more women that have cheated on their husbands than men (mysemy wife included). If you're going to make a comment, make a correct one and one that useful.

July 18, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. Bob from Pittsburgh

at Really...

I would love to be an at home dad.. called what ever you want. is up to me and my wife to decide what normal to us is. And I would not feel like a wimp, I am very secure of who I am...

July 18, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. DIANA

I hope he reconsiders his decision and gets back in the game. He didn't do anything wrong, especially compared to what others have done – bathroom stalls, paying off mistresses husbands, Apalachin Trail.

July 18, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. CBR

It was a really stupid thing and did cause the politicos to go after him. It is easier, by far, to go political with a small scandal instead of doing the work the elected members of Congress were sent to Washington to do. Some members spent more time on this then on any legislation.

July 18, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Senior Citizen

I wonder if everyone on this post can look in the mirror and say they have not done something stupid in their life. I don't necessarly mean like what he did, but may shoplifing, pot, driving while drunk etc. No one is perfect and there are plenty on both sides of the isle who are far from perfect. He's paid dearly for his mistakes and there are those who haven't and are still in office. Shame on them. I'm happy that he and his wife have moved past this incident and it none of our business!!!

July 18, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. Daniel P. Hanover

So this dope obviously has NO skills to get a job.

July 18, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. davecu

We, the constituents, are happy too, that you have no plans to run.
    What a waste of money that would be!

July 18, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. Lizzie

Sandy, do you tweet pictures of yourself in your underwear or nude to people you just meet or know casually?

July 18, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Megs

It must be an open marriage. He could run again on that platform and fund it through Fruit of the Loom endorsements.

July 18, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. DonJuan1943

As a husband who's done a lot of stupid things, I am an expert on bad behavior. I can congraulate this couple for working together. Mr. Weiner is a man of courage, he was an excellent congressperson who represented his constituency competently. It shoudl be noted that Mrs. Weiner is a woman of courage and strong moral values. Her service to our country is admirable. Mrs. Weiner should ignore the noises from "the asylum wing" of The House of Representatives. Congressperson Bachman's charges are insane; and she is living proof that insanity is not a cause for removal from office. Every circus needs a clown.

July 18, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Reply to Really?

So taking care of your family is turning men into wimps? A mans only value to the family is based on how much money he makes. I think you need to reevaluate your definition of what a mans value is.

July 18, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  15. Pete

the one point that was made was when they asked him, "how were you certain that the person on the other end was not underage?"

– he didn't have an answer.

July 18, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Debra

Realtalker, I totally agree with you. He was a great Congressman and I would vote for him again. It was a great loss for this country when he resigned. So nice to hear that him and his wife are still together.

July 18, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. We_need_more_weiners

Just as we got use to not seeing Mr. Weiner, "He's Back!"

Like Nixon, denial is something Weiner and Nixon had in common.

He should listen to Hillary (his wife's boss) and stay out of politics. Democrated have enough to deal with, like Joe and Barry. The others on denial.

July 18, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. Jay

He'll run for something again and Dems will vote for him. See Charles Rangel. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

July 18, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. Sea

He is definitely slimy enough to be a politician for life. We all mess up but Huma is a real doormat.

July 18, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. ED FL

You have him and want him ,keep him This country doesn't need people like him to be in important positions that affect normality.

July 18, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. Reality Check

This article failed to mention that he is a stay at home father because no one will hire him. Additionally, he still has almost half a million dollars in his campaign war chest even today. There are plenty of fine, upstanding and intelligent citizens who could better serve their country as opposed to this egotistical, perverted deviant. Senator Charles Schmer needs to make sure that his protogee stays out of politics once and for all.

July 18, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. GI Joe

I had an 11 month contract in NYC when Giuliani was Mayor - believe me, Weiner is not 1/10th as bad as ole Rudy.

July 18, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. dman6015

People do stupid stuff like he did all the time. If his wife forgives him, who are we to argue. However, I'd advise him to just give up on politics. I think he pretty much burned that bridge last year. With a flame thrower.

July 18, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  24. Tom

Debra,
    It was a great loss for the country when he "resigned"? Really? Stay home and keep everyone happy, Mr. Weiner. I hope for your wife and child's sake that all of you are truly happy. Running for any office is not in the cards, Anthony-your actions after the scandal should disqualify you from consideration for any public office.

July 18, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  25. glorydays

What does it tell you that our elected representatives spend 365 times more effort in staying in their jobs as they do actually DOING their jobs??????

July 18, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |