Weiner: No plans to run for mayor
July 18th, 2012

Weiner: No plans to run for mayor

(CNN) – Former Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner, who resigned last year amid scandal, said in an interview published Wednesday he had no immediate plans to run for office.

“I can’t say absolutely that I will never run for public office again, but I’m very happy in my present life. I’m not doing anything to plan a campaign,” Weiner told People Magazine when asked about rumors he was considering a run for New York mayor.

In June 2011, the former New York congressman left office in his seventh term after being caught sending lewd messages and photos to at least six women other than his wife, Huma Abedin, deputy chief of staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

It came to light shortly after his resignation that Abedin was pregnant with their first child.

Weiner argued that last year was “the best year of my life” and discussed his time of being a stay-at-home dad with their now 6-month-old son, Jordan.

“I’ve had enormous regrets about what I put Huma through, how I let my constituents down,” he said. “But it’s not like I sit all day replaying it in my mind. With a baby, it’s pretty easy to put things into perspective.”

Sitting alongside her husband during the interview, Abedin said she was “proud to be married to him.”

“My husband did a really stupid thing. It was an extremely painful time,” she said. “But there was love and a commitment to this marriage. … It took a lot of work to get where we are today, but I want people to know we’re a normal family.”

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Congress • New York
  1. JohnW

So if he does make a successful return to politics, will we see headlines like "Weiner on the rise?"

July 18, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Kweso

The commandment said: "Thou shall not commit adultery." Three hundred years after it was written, King Solomon had a thousand wives. Mr. Weiner had one or two or three or four or.....wives. The new commandment says: Thou shall commit adultery until thou art caught.

July 18, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. xfiler93

the big Apple could have been the BIG WEINER!!! oh, the possiblities!!! LOL

July 18, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA has a FAILURE PROBLEM

Nick - He shouldn't have let the media throw him out of office
    ================================================
    Didn't throwing his weenie out in public throw him out of office?! Did you expect the press to ignore this members member especially after he lied about it, blamed others, etc.???

He proved he was not only a pervert but dishonest as well. I guess that make him the perfect Democrat!

July 18, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Donald in CA

Welcome back Anthony, the democrats need someone with a spine.

July 18, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. tom

To quote from Animal Hoise "That boy is a P I G."

July 18, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. Sharrr

Don't use your wife and baby as an excuse for ANYTHING ~ That is also DISGUSTING.

July 18, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Joan

Why is this CNN's top TRENDING story today? He's not even in politics now. Who cares about this? There are so many important topics to cover, why waste time on a silly topic like this? Another distraction story maybe?

July 18, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. overdose

the bigger question ... is anyone listening?

July 18, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. anticomm

weiner will no be erected again

July 18, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA has a FAILURE PROBLEM

Spitzer, Rangel and Weiner... the New York Democrat Pervert/Crook Trifecta!!! Pretty soon they be able to rename the jail in NY to DemoPenn!!

July 18, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Observer

He is now a private citizen. Let's respect that.

July 18, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. dave

And let's not forget on the other side we have Sen. Vitter, Sen. Larry Craig, Rep. Duke Cunningham, and Rep. Mark Foley. All high minded public servants as well!

July 18, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  14. Marla

Good for this little family! Both of them are very brave to work in politics and put up with the slings and arrows of their unworthy opponents. I hope that Anthony Weiner returns to politics and returns to being the strong Democrat that he was before. His past personal mistakes should be irrelevant – nobody was injured.

July 18, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. GG

I hope Weiner go back to challlenge the Republicans in the house.

July 18, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA has a FAILURE PROBLEM

Marla
    ================================================================================================
    Yeah.... just can't set that bar low enough for Democrats.

"nobody was injured".... did you ask his wife???

The last person this country needs is somebody with poor judgement and low morales like Weiner. Honestly Democrats, is this clown the best your party can come up with out of the entire state of New York?!!

July 18, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Larry L

I need to grow up... I just can't get past the "weener" jokes. I'd like to make some intelligent comment but the Jr. High mentality keeps winning out...

July 18, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Larry L

@BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA has a FAILURE PROBLEM

----------------------------------------------------
    Was that Newt Gingrich I saw in the Primary? Was that his wife? Is she feeling well?

July 18, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. 1olddude

Old news; who cares

July 18, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Frankly Speaking..

People do not have control over their thoughts, agreed but they certainly ought to have ample control over what lies in the mouth and between the legs. Especially people who wish to assume a job that represents the integrity, discipline and the core values of people he/she represents. If you cannot then move on, America has 300 million odd people, I am sure there are enough decent, capable people who can perform Mr. Anthony's job with dignity. So, MOVE ON and take a corner to sob if you will

July 18, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Don

It’s obvious that Weiner pulled out due to soft support and premature election.

July 18, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Robert - California

I wish Huma, Jordan and Anthony all the best in their marriage.

July 18, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. ronb

Republicans earning less than $1M a year are being played for silly fools by mittens. All he needs is your vote. Then, you're going to see what class warfare is all about if he wins! Where's the t-party with their guns and blood of tyrants stuff? This country is being bought by the rich and they, suddenly, are OK with that??? LOL what a bunch of bafoons... OBTW – Weiner's bride is amazingly hot!!! Her vs Bachman....I'm down with the brotherhood!

July 18, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. tellin it like it is

Weiner looking to get back into politics again? Why? Is he looking to meet more women again? I hope his wife had him fixed. Little remote control electrical Weiner collar might be needed.

July 18, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. paulm5545

You're a normal political family. Stay together for the image and keep all options open for a run at another political office. Stand by you man, and all that.

July 18, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |