Morgan Freeman gives pro-Obama PAC a million
July 19th, 2012

Morgan Freeman gives pro-Obama PAC a million

(CNN) – Actor Morgan Freeman, currently starring in the latest installment of the Batman franchise, donated $1 million last month to the super PAC supporting President Barack Obama, the group's filings with the Federal Election Commission will show on Friday.

In a statement, Freeman listed the accomplishments he said spurred his donation to Priorities USA Action.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Pres. Obama has done a remarkable job in historically difficult circumstances," Freeman wrote. "He ended combat operations in Iraq, put in place sensible reforms of Wall Street, saved the auto industry and protected the health care of every American. He has led our nation to be more tolerant and placed impressive, accomplished women on the Supreme Court."

The actor said he was "proud to lend my voice – and support – to those who defend him. Priorities USA Action is doing a great job of protecting the values I believe in. I am happy to help them and I hope others will join me."

Other Hollywood names have also donated to the pro-Obama super PAC, who has lagged behind rival groups supporting Republican challenger Mitt Romney in fund-raising. Jeffrey Katzenberg, the chief of DreamWorks, has donated $2 million to Priorities. Steven Spielberg and Bill Maher have also donated to the group.

Freeman, who won an Oscar in 2005 for his role in "Million Dollar Baby," currently stars as Lucius Fox, the man who builds Batman's armor, in "The Dark Knight Rises." He donated $2,300 to Obama ahead of the 2008 election, according to filings with the FEC.

Filed under: 2012 • Priorities USA
  1. Padraig

Good for Mr. Freeman, if that is his choice thank God he is in a country that he can choose what he would like to do with his money.

It is really entertaining reading some of the bloggers comments. The difference between most conservative bloggers versus the liberal bloggers is the conservative bloggers most of the time make a statement on a current issue. Bloggers like "blah blah" come out with the most stupidest comments to post. Clearly an uninformed knob.

July 19, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. ObamaJoe

What I'm wondering is why the people giving to Obama's super pacs seem to be proud of it and reveals who they are when Romney's super pac investors want to hide who they are?

==========because we may want to see their tax return :)

July 19, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. CAL USA

Why is it that conservatives rail about entertainers who support Democratic candidates, but revere the ones on their side? Reagan, John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Miller, Jon Voight (and of course Ted Nugent) are all icons to the Right. Do liberals retain the same rights of free speech, or is that reserved for conservatives?

July 19, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Thank-you, Morgan Freeman. I remembr watching the Electric Company with my kids.

July 19, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Mike

mk1, you said this:
    "Still doesn't even come close to the 100 plus million that Sheldon Adelson is willing to spend on Romney's campaign. We hear that just 190 or so people might donate to the GOP this year to a tune of 1 billion dollars. If that isn't trying to buy the election I don't know what it is. Dems are going to be outspent in this election big time no matter what people like Morgan Freeman donate. Really pathetic."

Apparently it is only acceptable to outgain your opponent when you're a Democrat huh?

July 19, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. Nathan

Where are the donations from athletes and other stars. These people make millions and know that helping Obama is the right thing to do since most of them came from beginnings of thepeople Obama has been trying to help.

July 19, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. pflatman

Morgan's cool. I wish he could afford to donate millions, just like those wobbly old rich white guys and their Super PACs glorifying Mittens, who are outspending Obama 5 to 1.

Romney is sooo done in November.

July 19, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

CAL USA

--------------–
    Good question. I think it is due to one or more of the following:
    1. Selective Recall.
    2. Selfish Ignorance.
    3. Gross Hypocrisy.
    4. Limited Brain Capacity incapable of original thought.
    5. All Of The Above.

I say 5 will get you 10.

July 19, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Miroslava

J : Ronald Reagan was your President once or twice, (twice if you didn't know!) – wasn't he once a movie star?
    Yes, he was a HOLLYWOOD star.
    Enough said!

July 19, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. AustinMom

Thank you, Morgan Freeman.

July 19, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. rosaadriana

Good for him. I wish I had a million to give but isnt the point of these PACS to stay secret? Why is this known?

July 19, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. zaggs

"He ended combat operations in Iraq,"...a more accurate statement would be "Obama carried out the status of force agreement signed by Bush".
    "put in place sensible reforms of Wall Street"...if by "sensible" you mean no sensible that helped out his cronies and still didnt cover Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, well then you are correct.
    "protected the health care of every American"...until we have to make the austerity cuts to cover it.
    " placed impressive, accomplished women on the Supreme Court."....WTF? Kagan was never a judge, just a far left hack. Sotomayor at least was a judge, but not the most impressive female one out there.

July 19, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  13. judith

God bless you Morgan. We have to reelect this President and keep an advocate for ordinary people.

July 19, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Nietodarwin

That's a nice list of what Obama has done, for all the comments on here that like to ask, "What has Obama done?" It will take four more years of Obama, and 16 more with the dems in power to clean up the Bush/Cheney mess, and it just may happen .........this republican party is in shamble.

July 19, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. concern citizen

not surprising.. he did say (something like) he support Obama becuase he is black. ..I guess country policy does not matter to him

July 19, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. Alina1

Thank you mister Freeman! Because it looks like my $20 is a little help to Obama camp, thou I know that they are in need of any penny.

July 19, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. Kevin

I agree with CNN – huge monetary donations to Obama should be portrayed as "good"; huge monetary donations to Romney should be portrayed as "evil". Good for you Mr. Freeman.

July 19, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  18. James, AL

Mike, you wrote, "Didn't seem to bother you when Obama outgained McCain and outspend McCain four years ago by wide margins.
    I have names for people like you but they are best left unsaid. I hear Russia is looking for circus acts by the way. Ever consider that as a career option?"

You fail to understand that it was more than 2 million small donors that gave President Obama the financial edge, and not less than 200 rich people. If Mitt Romney had that kind of donor power, then I would say democracy is working. No single person democrat or republican should be allowed to contridute more than the middle class donor. I think that $2,500 should be a limit across the board. The decision of the Supreme Court was TOTALLY absurd!

July 19, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. sammieb51

Funny you don't hear about Sheldon Addleson's $100 million PLUS contributions to Romney and his PACs, but $1.0 million from a movie star? OMG, the sky is falling. Good for Mr. Freeman, I wish I could contribute more and he can so he does. And Cal USA - you left out a big one, The Terminator!!

July 19, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. mk1

Mike....Oh never mind, it's useless.

July 19, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. guest

CAL USA

-----------
    why is it ok for dems to receive from superpacs , but not repubs ???

July 19, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. A True Centrist

The real list:

Unemployment up since Obama took office
    Number of people on food stamps up since Obama took office
    Debt up BIG since Obama took office
    Gas prices up BIG since Obama took office
    Median income down since Obama took office
    Home prices down since Obama took office

The list could keep going but I have to get back to work. His number of accomplishments can be counted on one hand. The reality is he is probably a nice guy in WAY over his head. He's not a leader, he's not a decision maker and he's not a uniter.

July 19, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  23. Anonymous

P L E A S E ... if Obama wasn't African-American, Morgan Freeman wouldn't be giving him a dime.. Celebrities could care less about the economy, health care, or anything else because they are too busy making millions. None of the problems effect them because they don't live in the real world. You people should really wake up. You're in denial if you think YOUR president is actually doing a good job.. unless you're an illegal immigrant, a baby-killer, or sitting at home collecting on welfare and foodstamps, you can't sit there and tell me that Obama is actually helping americans.
    I know I'm not one of them. My hours have been cut to part-time, I can't find a job because they would rather hire immigrants who get paid less, I'm spending $150 a month on gas alone, my employer switched to a no-good health insurance company, and now I'm lucky if i don't lose my house. So yea Morgan Freeman, unless you have any of those problems.. don't give a speech about how great your Obama is when he really isn't.

To think I use to like Morgan Freeman... I won't make that mistake again!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012 ... DEFEATED!

July 19, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |