Former President George W. Bush to skip Republican Convention
July 20th, 2012

Former President George W. Bush to skip Republican Convention

Washington (CNN) - Former President George W. Bush has decided he is not going to next month's Republican Convention.

"President Bush was grateful for the invitation to the Republican National Convention. He supports Governor Romney and wants him to succeed. President Bush is confident that Mitt Romney will be a great President. But he's still enjoying his time off the political stage and respectfully declined the invitation to go to Tampa," his spokesman Freddy Ford told CNN after inquiries about his plans.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Since leaving office in 2009, the former president has tried to stay away from partisan politics.

In an interview this week with the conservative Hoover Institute the former president said "Eight years was awesome, and I was famous and I was powerful. But I have no desire for fame and power anymore."

He also said he thought it was not good for former presidents to be part of the political conversation. "I don't want to undermine our president – whoever's president – and a former president can do that…Either you're in or out of politics…you can't be that halfway."

Bush is still an unpopular figure with many Americans. In a May 29-31 CNN/ORC Poll 43% of those polled say they had a favorable opinion of the former president while 54% said they had an unfavorable one.

Eighty-one percent of those polled in a July 11-16 CBS/New York Times survey said the former president contributed some or a lot to the nation's economic downturn (48% said a lot while 33% said some).

Last week Bush's father, former President George Herbert Walker Bush's office announced earlier this week he and his wife Barbara would not be attending the convention because his mobility is limited by a disease called vascular Parkinsonism that makes it hard for him to travel.

Former Gov. Jeb Bush will be attending the convention.

Filed under: 2012 • George W. Bush
  1. Strategic Bob

I can't help but wonder if the invitation didn't also include a post-it note saying something to the effect of "Just Kidding. We would prefer it if you would stay away. We are hoping there are enough Americans who will forget about you by the time the election rolls around."

July 20, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  2. Orlando R

Im sure the RNC is relieved lol..

July 20, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  3. California Gary

What a pitiful looking character.......how in the world did we ever elect this guy.......twice? He did so much damage to this country.......I have softened a bit over the years though......I do think he "meant well"........I think he was just in way over his head and listened to the wrong people. But if I was the GOP, I wouldn't want him at the convention either.

July 20, 2012 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." --B. Obama

I would take President Bush over the uhbama any day.

July 20, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. amf140

Let's see – will Jimmy Carter be at the Democratic Convention?

Oh and by the way, compared to BHO, the Bush Presidency was OUTSTANDING and honorable. Just ask the troops and they will tell you which leader they prefer and that's good enough for me.

July 20, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. scuba45

I think the invitation probably read something like:
    "George, you DON'T REALLY WANT to come to Florida where the weather is now so HOT, right???

July 20, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. rs

He skipped a big part of his Presidency (most vacation ever of a sitting President), why in the world would he go to a convention?

July 20, 2012 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  8. Marie MD

Too bad. I guess he doesn't want to remind everyone of bushy no 2 if the bishop is elected?
    Actually, bush was more center conservative. The flip flopper goes where the wind blows and has no character.

July 20, 2012 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  9. kathy/Minnesota

Well, well, well this guy is toxic!!!! he was a horrible prez, he drove us into the dump and left us there, never even bothered to look back. And he has the nerve to get on natl. tv and talk about how great it was to be famous and have power, what a jerk!!!!

July 20, 2012 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. albert

"I was famous and I was powerful. But I have no desire for fame and power anymore." Anyone who get's into a position of leadership based on this thinking is a poor leader. Fame & power make for poor leadership. The company I work for has idiots like this and people are reigning left and right.

July 20, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  11. tracy

Romney's popckets are getting bigger and bigger on the backs of the uneducated. And it is very funny!!!

July 20, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  12. Whatever

You stupid liberals hahahahaha

July 20, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  13. Wake up people

Yeah right Shrub. You just want everyone to forget what a disaster you were. But the saddest part is, as bad as you were, I think Robmey would be worse. I can't believe I just said that.... I never thought anyone would be worse than the shrub.

OBAMA 2012!

July 20, 2012 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. Thomas

It's the last thing Romney wants , a reminder of himself !

July 20, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. Coflyboy

If I were Dubya I wouldnt show myself in public either. I'd worry about being shot. I'd worry about being arrested for treason or war crimes.

July 20, 2012 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  16. nintex

"I was famous and I was powerful" . . . .HUH ???? Try infamous and powerless under the puppet strings of Cheney, Rumsey, et. al. It would actually be pretty embarrassing for the Republicans if he were to attend the convention. How could they say anything nice or positive about him? Smart move, W.

July 20, 2012 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  17. the Situation

Like if Dubya was even invited to the convention! LOL!

July 20, 2012 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. egadsno

would not have looked good when all those Ron Paul delegates boo'd him off the stage.

July 20, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. Anonymous

"Eight years was awesome, and I was famous and I was powerful." Confirming WHY you ran for office in the first place. It was all about YOUR ego and America was your trophy. Thanks for SCREWING us for your personal entertainment, you jerk!

July 20, 2012 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. DarqueSide

"Eight years was awesome, and I was famous and I was powerful." Thanks for screwing us over so America could be your little trophy, you jerk! You and Cheney deserve to rot in h3ll.

July 20, 2012 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  21. Nonpartisan American First

I don't remember a convention for either party when a former President did not attend. I don't blame Former President Bush for not attending. Who wants to be around a loser and a bunch of haters.

July 20, 2012 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. iworkforaliving

You liberals are very misguided and so is your candidate. Obama is on a path to ruin this great Country. GOD Bless us all and I pray daily that this faithless man is not re-elected.

July 20, 2012 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  23. MikeB

Jeb Bush should skip it too. His father's 1991 'New World Order' speech that advocates the surrender of our National Sovereignty and Individual Liberties to the U.N. is destroying our Nation.

July 20, 2012 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  24. MikeB

GWB seeded new Powers to Obama. Just what will Obama do with even more powers in a second term.
    They're both 'New World Order' Globalist that are spreading our U.S.A. Wealth, Technology. and Jobs Globally.

July 20, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  25. Tam

Not attending the convention, Bush and Palin can put their heads together and come up with an atom of grey matter.

July 20, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |