July 23rd, 2012

After Aurora, Bloomberg urges elected officials to offer solutions

(CNN) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg continued Monday to call on the nation's political leaders to clarify their positions on gun rights, following Friday's movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colorado.

"I have a responsibility, just like you do, just like everybody does in this country, to try to address the key issues," he said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." "You and I can't solve the problem, but we can demand that those elected officials who are – or want to be in charge, have a solution to the problem."

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg • TV-Piers Morgan
  1. TJ O'Hara

Perhaps if the networks would host an independent Presidential candidate who offers specific solutions rather than Party candidates who only offer sound bites, the American public would become more aware of its alternatives. Nothing will change until the media coverage changes.

July 23, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. Bonnie

Well said, Mayor Bloomberg....Thank you.

July 23, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  3. M. Desaulniers

Thank you Mayor Bloomberg for being the voice of reason
    and being a politican with some guts. Our gun laws are a disgrace
    to our nation.

July 23, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. Mitt Witt

I'll bet the GOP has a solution. Here it is........"More tax breaks for the rich to create jobs in India and China!" That HAS to work!!!! It's work WONDERS so far!!!!!!!

July 23, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. CanadaONE

Per Day there is more shootings in the USA than Syria

July 23, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  6. chuck

why is it that when something like this happens idoits like you want to take away my guns .arent you forgetting something guns dont kill people.the person holding the gun kills people so why punish me huh.so let me finish by saying this you fight for the death penilty and ill fight for better gun laws.this guy is guilty beond dought when he appeared in court today the jugde should have sentence him to hang on friday.

July 23, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  7. T'sah From Virginia

►After Aurora, Bloomberg urges elected officials to offer solutions◄
    Don't hold your breath – we can't even get a conversation on global warming or pollution

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

July 23, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It is the magazines in weapons and the accessories like body armor needs to be kept track of just like the weapons they go with.

July 23, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  9. Larry L

He's making bold recommendations to a group of politicians too afraid of the N.R.A. to take a crap without their permission. We are the most violent nation on earth and it's getting quite difficult to feel good about America.

July 24, 2012 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  10. Orwell sees it, again & again

Bloomberg, next you will want to prohibit my right to own a personal nuke. As long as I can afford it, what is the problem?
    My right to strategic arms is not negotiable.

Bishop Romney is now reading his amended GOP script to be POTUS:, no gun limitations.
    Obama can't the republicans to cooperate on anything, excepting legalizing automatic weapons, SAMS, and IEDs.

July 24, 2012 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  11. GonzoinHouston

I don't have the answer but I do have the question: How do we disarm the people who should not have firearms (criminals and mentally ill) without disarming, or grossly inconveniencing, the law-abiding citizens? Extremists on both sides have told me it's impossible, so I'm convinced it's the right approach. After all, anything that infuriates the far left and the far right more or less equally is probably the right answer!

July 24, 2012 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  12. Phyllliis G

One Solution is 'New Hearts' in the Nation. They must know that using Guns only destroys themselves and gets them
    into the L:ake of Fire (Revelation 20: 14-15). Loving their neighbors gets them to the Street of Gold (Revelation 21: 21).

July 24, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  13. macddm

I am gun owner and I want common sense gun control.

For every 100,000 people the U.S. has 10 gun deaths.. The U.K. which has strong gun control has .46 gun deaths per 100k, people. Are we just more homicidal than that other people or could the fact that for every 100 people there are 88 guns be a factor. The UK has 6 guns for every 100k people. We have the highest per capita rate of guns of any country, period. I'm a gun owner, but I'm for common sense gun laws. Home protection and hunting are great.. but I want laws to make semi automatic Assalt weapons like AR-15s and AK-47s unavailable like they are in other industrialized and safer nations..

July 24, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |