Obama 'loves' the Olympics, might watch Romney's horse compete
July 27th, 2012

Obama 'loves' the Olympics, might watch Romney's horse compete

(CNN) – His wife is leading the American delegation to the London Olympic Games, but President Barack Obama will be watching the action closely from back home, according to his press secretary.

"He is a sports fan, as everyone knows," Jay Carney said at Friday's press briefing. "He's actually very, I heard him the other day. He's like, 'I love the Olympics. I can't wait for the Olympics to start.'"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Carney said Obama was well versed in many Americans competing in London.

"His interests are very broad and he's read up on a lot on our athletes and on the upcoming competitions and looks forward to catching as much of the games that he can, his schedule, being what it is," Carney said.

One American athlete, Ann Romney's horse, Rafalca, will be on Obama's radar like everyone else, Carney said. Rafalca is a dressage horse co-owned by the wife of Obama's Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

"He is interested in seeing every American entrant perform well and he'll follow every event," Carney answered when asked if Obama would watch Rafalca compete. "If his schedule allows, I think the answer to that question is yes."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. md22mdrx

Now ... I guess the REAL question is ... "Is this horse American"? Where are its papers? Or is it yet another one of Romney's FOREIGN investments?

July 27, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  2. Clint, Wa.

Put you're money on my horse, I 've got inside information, but don't tell anyone.

July 27, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. JerseyGirl

@Wire Palladin, S. F.: "How do we know what Mittens did in the Olympics, he shredded all the records of the payment from the $1.2 billion in government bailouts?"

DIDN'T YOU KNOW, he conveniently had left the Olympics already to run for the governship in Mass, just like he had conveniently left Bain "before" Bain began their "pioneer outsourcing." And the prancing horse conveniently belongs to his wife, not him.

Poor Willard, there is alot to learn of this clown prince before the elections. The Obama team has alot of ammunition to run a hundred more ads on Willard Mitt Romney.

July 27, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Northern Homley

That horse is yet another example of what false conservatve is! Dressage is clearly a sport for gay horses and if Romney was a real conservateve (like Rick Perry) he'd never associate with an animal like that.

July 27, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Dominican mama 4 Obama
    @ SOUTHERN HOTTIE
    We're in fight mode today! lol!!

July 27, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
    ******************************************************************************************************************************

I guess so! ! !
    Oh well.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

July 27, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Martin

Of course Obama will support Romney's horse. The rider would be classified as an AMERICAN wouldn't they?

Obama has shown consistently he will do what's right for AMERICA, regardless of personal feelings.

As President, he should be supporting any of the athletes, regardless of politics.

July 27, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. md22mdrx

$77k for a tax deduction with this horse .... and that's more than the average American makes in a year .... Why are we not hitting Romney more on this? Tax deductions for the ultra-rich's dressage HORSES?!? Tell me how that's fair. Tell me how shady tax deductions and loopholes like this are not part of the PROBLEM with out debt.

July 27, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Richard

nope... it is a German import ! Romney is even sending hundreds of thousands of dollars out of the country .... but he would have to buy a working cow horse made in America – they dont do dressage that well. He DOES own several Cadillacs though ( as do most of us ????)

July 27, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. Woman In California

Debby

I will watch Dressage is so beautiful! Marie MD you are so ignorant about the support.

Marie works for a living and I'm sure the same can't be said about you but by all means (taxpapers), please enjoy the Dressage event while we continue to take care of you and Willard's "tax deduction".

July 27, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. AKMHorse

Marie MD-
    Please educate yourself about dressage before making a comment about it. Those horses are not tortured at all to do those gaits/movements. It takes years of training. I can comment on this because I've owned/trained a dressage horse.

July 27, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. Woman In California

@ Northern Homley

That's funny.

July 27, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. g

how come when romney exits anything, money disappears and shredders come out

July 27, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. SoCal Chubby1

@Northern Homley

Great post. Made my day :-)

July 27, 2012 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. Me

It is really sad to see how much you are all bashing Romney, just shows how jealous the American public is. I take advatange of EVER tax break I can and would do no matter how much money I make. I would bet millions that ALL YOU people do the same and would do the same if you made that kind of money!!! (And if you say any different you are lying to yourself cause you don't know how you would act if you were worth millions, money changes everyone, EVERYONE!!!!) Just sad that someone who is sucessful in life is bashed on because they are worth a lot of money!!! All you want is hand outs and not to have to work for yourself! I am not a huge fan of Romney but after the do nothing president we have, anyone would be better! If I am able to make it big in life (haven't yet) I don't want the government to take it all away from me to give to someone else. We should all pay a FLAT tax, that is the ONLY fair way. Rich will pay more because they make more, poor will pay less because they make less! Why should I be punished because I worked my butt off to become rich (I currently work 50+ a week and go to college), makes no sense??? I would vote for anyone but Obama, repub or libral!

July 27, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  15. Benny

I hope that horse wasn't tied to the roof of the plane when it was flown over to the U.K.

July 27, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. i want a mega rich Mormon who hides his money overseas, and a master tax evader as presiden

Im still lol about some Guy saying dressage horses are gay. I love this forum.

July 27, 2012 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |