Gov. Haley's husband to deploy to Afghanistan
July 30th, 2012

Gov. Haley's husband to deploy to Afghanistan

(CNN) - South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley's husband received orders from the South Carolina National Guard on Monday and is expected to deploy to Afghanistan in January, a spokesman in her office said.

1st Lieutenant Michael Haley will deploy to Afghanistan, spokesman Rob Godfrey said.

Michael Haley said in a Monday statement that "this deployment is the reason I joined the National Guard."

"It is important to me to be able to give back. So, in that regard, I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve with a great team from South Carolina," he continued.

Gov. Haley said it is an "an honor to watch him serve our country" and said it is natural to worry about her husband's well-being.

"There's not a military spouse that doesn't worry," she said. "But there's not a military spouse that doesn't have an amazing amount of pride for the fact that these men and women, it's what they do. It's what they love. It's just an amazing willingness to put country over self. And so It's hard to feel anything but pride and, you know, do you worry? Yes, of course you worry.

"But I also know that we've got a very strong military force," she continued. "I know that our training is second to none, and it's like I tell all my military spouses when I speak to other deployments: all needs to be well on the homefront. And so we will be fine here and he just needs to take care of himself when he's there."

She was elected in 2010 with tea party support and has been suggested by some as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. In an April interview, however, she said that she enjoys her job and "would not accept" the spot.

Michael Haley added that "the only thing that gives me pause is the year long deployment away from family.

"But in the end, I can't help but to think giving one year along with my fellow soldiers, as many have done before me, to secure a life of freedom for my family is well worth all that comes with it," he continued.

– CNN's John Branch contributed to this report

Filed under: Afghanistan • Nikki Haley • South Carolina
  1. Thomas

Oh by the way , it was congress that oversees these projects !

Hundreds of millions of US taxpayer dollars may have been wasted on poorly managed infrastructure projects in Afghanistan, a report to Congress says.

July 30, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Rosslaw

He's going to war and she's spending all of her time making sure that as many Americans as possible cannot vote so that she can prevent nonexistent voting fraud. I don't think she's quite grasped the concept of what this country is all about. Best of luck for Lt. Haley though and come home safe.

July 30, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I would never vote for your wife or Mr. Romney.

But I thank you for your service and wish you a safe return Lt. Haley.
    ------------------------------------------------–
    Ditto that Thomas.

July 30, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Thomas

@ Mr. Myviewis

Dont compare Apples and Oranges .

Ask yourself !
    If you supported a war as the Romney's did. And had five sons who avoided voluntary service during that war . Would you feel proud of yourself as a Father ? And how would your feel about the Father who lost his only son ?

I have a book you should read about Gettysburg !

July 30, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. AZ Dem

July 30, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Don't care for Nikki who should never been elected in a position to dictate the voting or citizenship rights of any individual in this U.S., her parents are both immigrants loyal to their religion Indian religion and so is she.

July 30, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. proudmemberofglobalzero

Agree with AZ Dem!

July 30, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. rs

Myviewis- Generally, service these days for most politicians came from the Viet Nam era- there was a draft back then. Yes, Cheney, Romney and Clinton all used deferments. G.W. Bush did a year in the ROTC and on a Senatorial campaign. Others like John McCain did serve- and paid the price. Mr. Obama at the time was probably 9 years old. The draft didn't take children.

July 30, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Myviewis

Thomas

@ Mr. Myviewis

Dont compare Apples and Oranges .

Ask yourself !

I have a book you should read about Gettysburg !
    ------------------------------------

I think 2 Democrat presidents who did not serve in the military makes for a better book. Nice spin or excuse.

July 30, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. n2video

Will she still feel pride if her husband is killed over there? Or will she feel remorse and anger like so many war widows do?

July 30, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. once upon a horse

if the two Democrats that did not serve in the military ran and hid to keep from doing so, OR had sons that did not even choose to serve the country then I would have an issue with them too. Both have daughters. Clinton did not dodge the draft and Obama was not old enough to serve in Vietnam. Romney nor his own father chose to serve..and that is their decision. But my son now is old enough to go to war and I do NOT want him going if Mitt's boys were too good to go. I also bet like most Republicans you attacked Clinton back in the day for not serving in the military. But now it's ok for Mitt. Typical right wing selective memory.

July 30, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. Fara

“those people who are outwardly notable for science and piety, but who are inwardly subservient to their passions and lust. (Baha'u'llah,Hidden Words)

‘O faithless ones! Why do ye outwardly claim to be shepherds, while inwardly ye have become the wolves of My sheep? Your likeness is like unto the star before the morning, which is apparently bright and luminous, but really causeth the misguidance and destruction of the caravans of My city and country.’“(Baha'u'llah,Hidden Words)

July 30, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"Ok...so this is news? A lot of men and women are being deployed. I don't see their names in the headlines!"

BINGO.

July 30, 2012 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. Claudia, Houston, Tx

No man who has five(5) sons should open his mouth to say he is willing to send anyone's son to war when not one of his sons serves and for that matter not one generation of Romneys have ever served our military. I personally had six(6) brothers and all but one(1) served, two are deceased; I bured the Vietnam Veteran 2 yrs ago and the other 3 weeks ago, they were both younger than myself. My Brothers Served this Country Honorably so I have no praises for Romney and his sons.

July 30, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  15. Ricke1949

They are so hateful They left out polygamy.

July 30, 2012 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Doc_Hollywood

What's the deal? Want to bet that he never gets near front line action? Or in fact, any dangerous area at all? That's just how it works.

July 30, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. str8whtguy

I don't agree with Gov. Haley or her politics in the slightest. But Mr. Haley, we true Americans thank you for your service, do the best you can, and get home safe!

July 30, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. Marie MD

I still think she is a complete falure in SC and she made it because that mutant from the center of the Earth was popular at the time with the teapublikkkans who have shown us that they will take the country down regardless of what they need to do.
    I applaud her husband for serving. Maybe this governor can ask mitt the twit next time he swings by her state why he didn't serve during Vietnam or why none of his five sons served. They have had plenty of time to do so instead of spinning why not which they never really answered during Handelsman interview.

July 30, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Mike

It's too bad that these wars have absolutely nothing to do with keeping America safe or preserving freedom. If anything, our freedoms have eroded since 9/11 due to increased government, which these Tea Party people were supposed to be against. You've got both parties supporting the Patriot Act, which effectively drops the 4th amendment. We're dropping bombs on countries we haven't declared war with, killing civilians with each drone strike, and wondering why they hate us. If a bomb were dropped on your family's house, and you survived, you'd become a "terrorist" too. You've got the TSA molesting grandma while DHS is adding six year olds to the no-fly-list, and enforcing it with a straight face. Our freedoms are eroding, and it's not because of foreign enemies, but domestic ones. I'm an Iraq vet myself, so I mean no disrespect to this LT, but it's a simple fact that his service is not actually serving us.

July 30, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. marty

One visit to a Veterans Administration hospital would do more to the psyche than all the silly bantering we read in these blogs.

July 30, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  21. Dave, Central Illinois

Yeah Rosslaw. How dare those Republicans – wanting to enforce those pesky laws requiring that only US citizens vote. What about the illegals, dead people, and phantom voters that make up a valuable Democrat voting block.

July 30, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  22. California Gary

You're missing the point myviewis.......the Democratic presidents you refer to as having not served, also did not the support the wars at hand and believed that nobody should be called on to serve in them. The legacy of Republican Presidents like GWB (and his VP Cheney) and now Romney as a candidate is that they fully supported "other" people going off to fight the war, all the while taking steps to make sure that they, and their families, did not have to fight. There is a clear difference there........

July 30, 2012 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. Russ

Wow, what a break for Nikki. If she thought she was free to fool around with other men before, with him gone for a year she will be in HOG heaven. Wild times in the old town stating in January. I'll bet she can hardly wait.

July 30, 2012 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  24. Lizzy10

Thank you Lt. Haley for your service. That's all that needs to be said on these boards.

July 30, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. markiejoe

Boy, she's got some schnoz on her!

July 30, 2012 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |