Gov. Haley's husband to deploy to Afghanistan
July 30th, 2012

Gov. Haley's husband to deploy to Afghanistan

(CNN) - South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley's husband received orders from the South Carolina National Guard on Monday and is expected to deploy to Afghanistan in January, a spokesman in her office said.

1st Lieutenant Michael Haley will deploy to Afghanistan, spokesman Rob Godfrey said.

Michael Haley said in a Monday statement that "this deployment is the reason I joined the National Guard."

"It is important to me to be able to give back. So, in that regard, I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve with a great team from South Carolina," he continued.

Gov. Haley said it is an "an honor to watch him serve our country" and said it is natural to worry about her husband's well-being.

"There's not a military spouse that doesn't worry," she said. "But there's not a military spouse that doesn't have an amazing amount of pride for the fact that these men and women, it's what they do. It's what they love. It's just an amazing willingness to put country over self. And so It's hard to feel anything but pride and, you know, do you worry? Yes, of course you worry.

"But I also know that we've got a very strong military force," she continued. "I know that our training is second to none, and it's like I tell all my military spouses when I speak to other deployments: all needs to be well on the homefront. And so we will be fine here and he just needs to take care of himself when he's there."

She was elected in 2010 with tea party support and has been suggested by some as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. In an April interview, however, she said that she enjoys her job and "would not accept" the spot.

Michael Haley added that "the only thing that gives me pause is the year long deployment away from family.

"But in the end, I can't help but to think giving one year along with my fellow soldiers, as many have done before me, to secure a life of freedom for my family is well worth all that comes with it," he continued.

– CNN's John Branch contributed to this report

Filed under: Afghanistan • Nikki Haley • South Carolina
  1. Imvotingforobama

He is probably support and not an actual combat troop so he will be safe and sound on the FOB until he comes back.

July 30, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. bilbo

Can't we send Barney Frank instead?

July 30, 2012 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. thinkingperson

Any chance that he can take his wife with him? Our state would be OH-SO-MUCH better off!!

July 30, 2012 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. tylenol

lol hope he got his peeling potatoes skills up,, seriously,, you go now when they closing shop? pleeeeze

July 30, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. moonghaelela

Never fear this guy will never see any action.

July 30, 2012 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. CBR

The article was about Lt. Michael Haley. Yes, he is married to the Governor and yes she has made public her view of the U.S. military. She is correct that the U.S. forces are second to none. We should all be proud of every service member. This article did not necessitate these comments that have nothing to do with the Haleys.

July 30, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. Bootstomper

Not much difference between south Carolina and Afghanistan,Taliban in both places.

July 30, 2012 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. scarf

Romney has great admiration for military veterans. That's why he wants to creat so many more with their service in Iran.

July 30, 2012 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  9. Andrew Botwin

Funny how Mitt and his sons managed to avoid all combat, isn't it?

July 30, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. Loubies from S.C.

I have a better story on Nikki Haley. The State Newspaper and The Charlotte Observer recently ran an expose on the nepotism being practiced by our fine governor, everything from getting her husband a government job, her brother-in-law a state job at MUSC, her chief of staff's wife a $50,000 a year PART-TIME job, to creating a 30 hour a week position in the state house gift shop for her 14 year old daughter (a position that was never advertised and for which other workers had to take a cut in hours). Once Haley got wind of it, both papers were ordered to take the stories down. Maybe CNN could run the story and let's see if she can get them to do the same.

July 30, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. kplear

No doubt they'll assign him in the safe zone.

July 30, 2012 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. john

These are the kind of people the America needs in political office, along with the military. Time to vote out the arrogant self centered elitists that occupy so many political positions. These folks walk the walk.

July 30, 2012 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  13. Anonymous

vote republican most of the time and have done 2 tours in afghanistan, 1 in iraq as a Marine. All the fools blowing hot air about repubs and repukes not serving, show me your service and then I might consider you qualified otherwise you are self righteous oxygen thieves benefiting from the risk of others who give you the right to be morons. And FYI didn't see POTUS or much of his administration rushing to serve.

July 30, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  14. Old Artilley Man

As a citizen of the South Carolina, I ask is there any way he can take her with him?

July 30, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  15. Eligible Voter

I respectfully won't be voting for Mr. Romney or Mrs. Haley, however, I fully support our military and the selfless service of these men and women. Many have no other political affliation than the red, white and blue and civil rights for all.

God Bless our military and grant wisdom and discernment to all in leadship positions.

July 30, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. wieth

He's probably just a pog and will be protected due to his position. By the time this guy gets there, the war will be over as far as actual combat. Way to hold out til the fighting is all done then go and brag about it.

July 30, 2012 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. Lizzy10

why

July 30, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  18. Steve

Haley's going to get some while old man is away.

July 30, 2012 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. Chipster

Thank you for your service, Lt. Haley. Come home safely. I'll be voting for Democratic candidates but I will remember you and Gov. Haley in my prayers. I know that, as a serviceman's wife, she serves double duty. God Bless both of you.

July 30, 2012 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  20. Shardik

"I think 2 Democrat presidents who did not serve in the military makes for a better book."

I assume one of those was Clinton. I have a hard time figuring out the other. Jimmy Carter was a naval officer and Obama was too young to have been eligible for the draft. Care to elaborate?

July 30, 2012 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  21. Tell It Like It Is

Best of luck to him. Just like the rest of those deployed, pray he returns home safely. God bless all the troops for their service.

July 30, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. FedUp

Good luck, Lt. Haley. Stay safe. Thank you for serving your country.

July 30, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  23. Tim

Both Obama and Biden were to chicken to serve in the Military. ..

July 30, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. Doyle Wiley, MI

Can he take Nikki with him?

July 30, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. Dumbpolitics

Thank you Lt. Haley and all the other troops God speed a safe return.

July 30, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |