McCain, Liz Cheney push back on Palin 'mistake'
John McCain and Sarah Palin attend a campaign rally at Pima County Fairgrounds on March 26, 2010 in Tucson, Arizona.
July 30th, 2012

McCain, Liz Cheney push back on Palin 'mistake'

(CNN) - Dick Cheney's assertion that it was a "mistake" for John McCain to put then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on the 2008 Republican ticket drew some pushback Monday from the Arizona senator.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain said sarcastically on Fox News. "I respect the vice president. He and I had strong disagreements as to whether we should torture people or not. I don't believe we should have. The fact is I'm proud of Sarah Palin. I'm proud of the job she did. I'm proud of the job she continues to do. Everybody has their own views and I respect those views. But I'm proud of what we did."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Sunday, ABC News aired portions of an interview with Cheney in which the former vice president detailed what he felt was the most important quality for a vice presidential candidate: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on [Palin's] background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said.

Cheney, who said he knows and likes Palin, argued that considerations about which demographic a potential candidate could help pull in clouded the 2008 decision to put Palin on the ticket.

"Those are important issues but they should never be allowed to override that first proposition and I think that's one of the problems that McCain had," Cheney said.

Cheney's daughter also pushed back against her father's assertion Sunday, writing on Twitter she disagreed with the assessment that picking Palin was a "mistake."

Both Palin and Liz Cheney are paid political contributors on Fox News.

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. biologixco

Almost as big a mistake as the War in Iraq...

July 30, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. Joi Gibson

Dick Cheney was and is a mistake. The man is horrible and has no class.

OBAMA/BIDEN/FIRST LADY MICHELLE 2012!!!

July 30, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. Keith A. Sillsbury

Of course failin palin was te Right choice... you lost didn't you!?... Right choice, For AMERICA!

July 30, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

datablade

"But based on her background she'd only been governor for what, two years."

..and Obama was only a senator for what, two years....who spent the two years mostly campaigning. While an Illinois senator he voted "present" 189 times, and did little else but campaign for the US Senate. Of course that is all Obama is doing now.
    ----------------–
    Two years? At the time when it was announced that Palin would be the VP pick she had been governer for only half a year, and would eventually resign after 18 months on the job.

Barack Obama won the Senate Election in 2004, and was sworn in January 2005. He served 3 terms in the Illinois state house between 1997 and 2004.

July 30, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Thomas

Liz Cheney needs to find a life outside politics .

I think the department of Corrections is hiring !

July 30, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. Best VP Ever?

What she meant to say was that Sarah Palin as VP would have made her dad look like a fabulous VP. I guess Thomas Jefferson just didn't make the cut for Liz Cheney. Did we think that one through at all, Liz?

Stupid is as stupid does. I always wondered what that really meant. I guess Liz Cheney proclaiming Sarah Palin was more qualified than Obama and Biden combined just about explains that one for me.

July 30, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. Lizzie

Senator Obama:
    Same then, same now.

July 30, 2012 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. Jules

I think John McCain is getting senile and Liz Cheny is an extreme right winger who is looking to run for political office so she will go against her unpopular dad and stick up for the tea party favorite.

July 30, 2012 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. Ron

I am a moderate independent and have not made up my mind who I will vote for this fall. Why on earth would a strong, conservative republican figure bring up what most Americans already know – Palin was not ready for the Presidency- when Romney will be making his selection for Vice President soon (probably right after the olympics). It seems he is polarizing his party and creating more in-fighting within his own party. I don't think this is good for the republican party or America. The past is the past and hopefully both political parties and all politicians will learn from there mistakes without people like Dick Cheney stirring the fire.

July 30, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  10. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

"Sarah Palin can't name a Supreme Court case whereas Barack Obama was a constitutional law professor." – Steve Schmidt

July 30, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. sonny chapman

Liz Cheney ? Isn't that Dick's "Love Child" that he used as an excuse that he used to avoid fighting those Evil Commies in Vietnam ?

July 30, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. Mike

McCain said, "He (Cheney) and I had strong disagreements as to whether we should torture people or not. I don't believe we should have."

Mr. McCain, you obviously agree with Cheney on the torture issue more than you think. Introducing Palin to the mainstream political stage has been its own form or torture that keeps on giving and giving and giving.

July 30, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. Lizzie

Rudy NYC, yes and he was the one who called Pres.Bush UN-American for spending increasing the Natl. Debt by 4 trillion over 8 years, he called creation of 300000 job a failure, now he says it's great to spend trillions to repay fundraisers and unions and creating 80000 jobs. He became the campion of filibusters in the senate, but would not vote yea or nay on anything, because it could be held against him. Axelrod pulled his strings then and still does to this day.

July 30, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. truth hurts

palin would have been an improvement over the empty suit currently in the whitehouse. she certainly wouldn't have run up 5 trillion in debt and played a lot less golf.

July 30, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Al-NY,NY

Just when you think McCain might be waking up (by his comments last week about Bachman and "sharia law") he reverts back to his comatose status by defending the worst possible candidate in history for VP. The vapid diva from Alaska was an anchor that sank his campaign

July 30, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. cali girl

Seems like the GOP is imploding on themselves.

July 30, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. Frank Fata

Sarah Palin, and I know it's easy to say this after the fact, but she was a huge mistake for John McCain. Who ever thought that an inexperienced female Governor from Alaska was the right fit for the Republican vice-presidential ticket obviously, in my humble opinion, made a huge boo-boo. She was there, just like Obama, with a rock star approach to politics, except Palin struck out and Obama hit the ball out of the park.
    Good luck to Mitt Romney in 2012. I think Marco Rubio would be a great choice.

Frank from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

July 30, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. NOT BACKWARD into the GOP FISCAL ABYSS

@Lizzie – "[I]f you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters," ,"If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from."
    Same then, same now.
    --------------------------
    So how's this working out for the failed trickle-down economic policies (instituted by the great necon Reagan, who raised taxes 18 times and raided SS during his tenure) of the Grand Obstructionist Party lemmngs.
    We do NOT need to go backwards to failed fiscal policies of McCain and Failin' Palin !!!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. clarke

This is the one and only thing that I have agreed with the former VP on. But did he just wake up, that was four years ago, where has he been.

July 30, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. vic , nashville ,tn

Father and daughter disagree on Palin
    Palin so powerful in GOP , unbelievable

July 30, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Doyle Wiley, MI

Liz, you must not have ever listen to Palin for more than a minute.

July 30, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. ThinkAgain

McCain's is proud of the Alaskan Quitter/Liar/Mooch? How can anyone be proud of that mistake?

July 30, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  23. Thomas

@Lizzie
    Senator Obama:
    Same then, same now.

Lizzie ,
    You wouldn't know a new idea until it becomes old ! You want another GW Bush ?

July 30, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. ThinkAgain

"Why on earth would a strong, conservative republican figure bring up what most Americans already know"

Because Dick is trying to cut the Quitta from Wasilla off at the knees, in the hopes of keeping her from disrupting the convention.

July 30, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Rachelle

Proud of Palin? That's like being proud of having a gaping hole in one's head. Duh...

July 30, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |