Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. Steve in texas

I feel almost embarrassed for her. The sixth grade level sarcasm and over-defensiveness makes me worried for her.

August 1, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  2. optimistica

I wouldn't give her the time of day let alone this much space on your site. Both have had their day and should be ignored.

August 1, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Steve in texas

If in doubt, blame the Media.

August 1, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. ty

lol lol lol..hard to pick the bigger jerk in this cat fight one had a brain but no heart, the other has neither...

August 1, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. vic , nashville ,tn

Palin gave smart answer

August 1, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  6. Rhea

It's impossible to take sides on this one. Both Palin and Cheney were huge mistakes. If GDub would have picked anyone else his presidency would not have been as complete a disaster as it was putting him in history of the worst president this country has ever had. If Romney gets elected he will put Bush as the second worst President in US history.
    I will say that Sarah and Bristol seem to think that "the haters" don't like them because of the lamestream media. People don't like them because they are incompetent and undeserving. Nothing personal. In fact I think the media has been kind to the Palin's.

August 1, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. DarqueSide

Sarah is intimately acquainted with 'lame'. As much as I despise Cheney, little Caribou Barbie is by far the least intelligent person to be foisted upon the American political stage in HISTORY! A pox upon you, John McCain for giving this vile creature the national microphone!

August 1, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. TomGI

Anything Cheney says is suspect.

August 1, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Tr1Xen

For once, I actually agree with Dick Cheney on something. It was a mistake for McCain to choose Palin as his running mate. She certainly didn't do him any favors.

August 1, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. Anyone but a Democrat

It is the laimstream media. They are in love with Obama for what reason I do not understand. He is not the Ruler of the Unted States which is what he would prefer. He was elected as the leader, thank heavens we can ditch this mistake in November. Cheney would be a better President than Obama any day. I do not want a Fascist government, I want a free economy, with limited government. Palin was not ready to be VP, but why vilify her. Just because she is intelligent and conservative doesn't mean you need to hate her. Find that combo in a democrate female.

August 1, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. Patriot

Republicans at their best.

August 1, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. V

___________________________________
    Does anyone but me have trouble understanding what she is trying to say here? All I'm getting is that she learned a new word – "Evidently". BTW – "lamestream media" is about at old as that hairstyle she continues to wear. Sarah, stay in Alaska. They need you up there . . . (hehehehehe). Oh, and one other thing – the "false narrative" is when you open your mouth!

August 1, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. pjl

News Flash – you are the baseball not only to the GOP – but to nice folks as well

August 1, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. mdesan

WOnderful to see the GOP eating thier own. Self-implosion time...

August 1, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. W.

This is just too easy. I cannot begin to start with the sarcastic remarks, they are far too many. I guess all I have to add is that among the two is Dick and one who wants one.

August 1, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  16. Ambrose Smith

Sarah still believes that Paul Revere on his stealth midnight ride was ringing bells (ting a ling!), firing warning shots (pow! pow!), and banged and clanged on pots and pans warning the British that "we can see Russia from our front porch so you better watch out"!

August 1, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  17. Pat

Really Sarah, it truly is a shame that even Dick Vader sees through you BS. Go back to your smow machines and get lost in the woods. PLEASE.....

August 1, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I love it! Go to your respective red corners and come out fighting."

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the right wing extremists have all painted themselves into their corners. Might I interest you in some front row seats for watching them resort to painting their clown shoes?

August 1, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. chuck

She is such a pathetic has been, the eptiomy of ignorance-why is she in the news. And yes the hairstyle and 3 inches of greasy makeup are getting old........as she is....history.

August 1, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. LJ

Oh, Mama Grizzly, it is time to ask your speech writer for some new witty, catch phrases! Your phrases "lamestream media" and "false narrative" are getting old. Remember that cool day when NBC used you to get back at Katie Couric? That was so cool! That day, Sarah, you were part of the "lamestream media", and I don't think Matt Lauer was a happy boy to have you there.

August 1, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. mikesurf

no fan of Cheney but to accuse him of being influenced by the media is pretty dopey...

August 1, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. jack

You proved yourself as completely lame not only with the media, but every time you opend your mouth,proving the point to the rest of the world. I have nothing but disdain for Cheney, but he is right. You were the least qualified person for the job. Now please leave us alone.

August 1, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. Mike W

I love Ed's comments....esp. "Cheney would turn at 9". Ed, you sure did capture their persona's, however simple they are!!

August 1, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Ronda in Houston,TX

She blames all her faults on the "lamestream media". She just wishes they would give her a job. What a dope. Please Palin, go away!

August 1, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  25. Rebecca

I agree with V completely. If you look at transcripts from speeches or interviews she gives (pick one, any one), she doesn't make sense. She strings words together that don't have any coherent thought or vision behind them. She doesn't SAY anything. Moreover, I don't care if you're being maligned in the press, I expect better linguistics than "lamestream media" from a former candidate for the Vice Presidency. Bush was no orator, to be sure, but his difficulty mastering the English language was just that, difficulty with the English language. Referring to the media as "lamestream" does nothing but cement your status as a snarky reality TV star who thinks sarcasm and pessimism is the way to lead.

August 1, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |