Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. Graham

Hello! McFly! Not ready for the Presidency? Look who we elected. I'll take Palin's resume over Obama's any day. Cheney, you need to think before you speak. You're nothing more than a typical, sleazy inside the beltway politician. We haven't had a true conservative in Washington since Reagan. The entire new lot of Republicans are too scared to lose their lavish lifestyles to really try to transform our country. Can anyone really see the difference between a Republican and Democrat these days? I sure can't. All are soft on the border. Spend money like drunken sailors in a house of ill repute. And are more worried about steroids in baseball than the direction our country is taking. WAKE-UP!!

August 1, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. ssffww

With this woman, it's always someone else's fault. Typical mean girl behavior. Has she ever admitted she was at fault for anything? She either was not qualified or she simply did not do the work necessary when she ran.

August 1, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. wgf

"evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, "

Cheney's express reason for believing Palin was unqualified for VP was that she only served 2 years as governor. Was it unfair of the "lamestream media" to report she had been governor for 2 years ? Was it wrong for Cheney to believe it ? My God, you'd have to have a lobotomy in order to follow this crowd.

August 1, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. mcskadittle

does it help your cause to blame the media as you use them to get your point across?

August 1, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. FastBoat

More like "sometimes you're the windsheid, sometimes you're the bug". Palin is the bug.

August 1, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. Tom from Canonsburg

This is the only thing that I have ever agreed with Cheney on. Back when I heard McCain picked her I wondered if he was trying to lose the election. There were much stronger possibilities back then.

August 1, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Ken

Sarah obviously doesn't realize that almost everyone, except for Liz Cheney and John McCain, knew that she was not qualified to be VP. Poor Sarah, bless her heart.

August 1, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  8. Dyslexic Dog

the world's only living brain donor fighting with the world's only living heart donor. What a pair.

August 1, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. She loves Dick

Don't you think she would have been a great president. Getting her panties in a wad every time she disagrees with someones statement.

August 1, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. Vince

This woman is so irrelevant, I don't know why anything she says is printed.

August 1, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. Susan NO LONGER a REPUBLICAN

Can you imagine what a monster these two would create if they were to breed together!? I think she wuvs him!

August 1, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. Ron

It was the ONLY thing that the dark Sith lord EVER said, that I actually agreed with.
    But you Dick, you just won't shut up, and you're not in offce any more. Get over it.
    And worse, you've started that self important, unqualified, harpy flailing her gums again, too!

August 1, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Ramon F. Herrera

The best way to know when a party/campaign is in trouble when the circular firings squads enter the action.

August 1, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. She loves Dick

Graham

Graham: You would pick a governor that quit her post in the middle of her term over Obama ? You are a very sad individual.

August 1, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Pam from Iowa

Sarah – your blonde roots are showing!!

August 1, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. sactonana

Every once in awhile I think America dodges a bullet. Although McCain didn't win the 2008 election and is still living, had Palin stepped into the role of President of the United States for any reason, I can't help wonder if she would have resigned her post mid-way, like she did Governor of Alaska. Never quite understood the rationale behind her decision to do that, other than to make more money on a book tour and doing the Palindashian scene instead!

August 1, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  17. Ancient Texan

Steve in Texas- You're embarrassed for her? Have you ever bothered to listen to Joe Biden? She's 100 times smarter than the current VP.

August 1, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. Educator 36

That has to be one of the longest and most meandering run-on sentences I have ever read.

August 1, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. amf140

GO SARAH. What a fighter. Not afraid to take on the Old Republican establishment. She has taught the current Conservatives how to fight back – regardless who makes the baseless comments. I'd like to know if Dick Cheney ever sat down and talked with her so he could make his own decision on her capabilities and/or shortcomings. Even though that she's not running, she's working real hard in the Congressional and Senate (Texas) races. She is definitely a factor. KEEP ON FIGHTING SARAH and don't take anyone's BS. Please pass the Chick-Fil-A.

August 1, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. Joe B

Cheney......influenced by the media? Now that's a laugh.

Cheney influenced by his daughter and her dopey friends? Now that's more believable.

August 1, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. KP3205

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. Of course it would have been a mistake...for her bank account. She's done pretty well since she quit her previous job.

August 1, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. nightsun2k7

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball"...personally i see her as never being anything more then the catcher.

August 1, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. kimberly

SOOOOO, cheney said that her being gov for only 2 years was not enough to be president, and palin some how has turned that into the "lamestream" medias fault? WOMAN, you will NEVER BE IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES the teaparty loves you but you will never be accepted by main stream. I think its very telling of a person that calls it the LAME STREAM media, but wants to be taken serious. You are fox news puppet, nothing more and nothing less. I think she gets that, its made her millions, and shes happy as a clam!

August 1, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Sy2502

Lamestream media? Please Sarah, all we need is listen to your own words to know you aren't fit for office. Tina Fey's impersonation was more intelligent than the real life Sarah Palin.

August 1, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. Sam J

Wow what a literary masterpiece! Hail to thee Ms. Palin...

August 1, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |