Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. Jenn

Ugh if people would stop talking about her, then maybe she will go away!!!

August 1, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Lamar in Dallas, TX

LOL....The "lamestream" media made Sarah Palin the folk hero she is today. Sorry, Sarah....Cheney has knowledge of the big bad world outside of Alaska. YOU on the other hand could not even name a newspaper that you read!

August 1, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Georgie

Tea/Republicans used to only attack the Democrats. Now they go after each other. Political cannibalism–the sure sign of a bankrupted party.

August 1, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Doug

McCain said Palin was better qualified than Romney. Just saying.

August 1, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  5. Applepious

While I hate to agree with the man he is correct, she was not experienced enough to be VP and possibly president. Naturally Palin is going to puff up her chest and strut around, it keeps her in the news cycle and gaurantees that she can continue fleecing tea party and republicas for the millions that she left office EARLY in pursuit of. She'll never hold office again and she will be laughing her way to the bank the whole way.

August 1, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. lathebiosas

First time I ever agreed with Dick Cheney........

August 1, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Lynn

This is a sad GOP!!!!

August 1, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Chandra

John McCain, Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin. Is it a remake of old movie Mr. S, Y & ZEE!

August 1, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. keeth

Dick Cheney has been many things in his life, and I think he is a horrible man, but he has never been a quitter. Put Palin's intellect (ha!) to Cheney's any day, and he would clean her proverbial clock.

August 1, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. GH

Gawd, I never, ever thought I would agree with Dick Cheney......scary to think that McCain thought that Palin was a better choice than Romney:)

August 1, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Syd

This reminds me of high school when two absolute jerks would challenge each other to a fight after class period and I would spend the rest of the week on cloud nine.

August 1, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. GH

What a soap opera, Fox News in real life!

August 1, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  13. Mark

Blame someone Sarah. It's the republican way. It's never your fault. If you are that popular among republicans why did you drop out of the race? Oh wait. Quitting is what you do best.

August 1, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. Schwarzey

I always go to the comics first thing in the morning. This will have to do.

August 1, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. Doyle Wiley, MI

Couldn't finish reading this article. My brain can't take comprehending direct quotes from Palin.

August 1, 2012 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Rad

I am still disappointed that she didn't run for president. It would have shut her up once and for all. I don't have much love for Cheney but I do respect the man. I lost respect for McCain right after he picked her as his running mate.

August 1, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. W.

Are we having fun yet?

August 1, 2012 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. 4pease

Palin could not run the PTA, yet gullible teapubs will robtically do whatever she tells them, simply because she is pretty and likes to slam liberals. She is a diservice to our country.

August 1, 2012 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Evidently Palin is a Dimwit

“…evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

I guess we know todays word on Sarah's Word-a-Day calendar is!

August 1, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. bizarro25

She's the ball as in NUTBALL.

August 1, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. wonderabout

Heard her utter the confused and skitso comment on the radio a little while ago.... I actually laughed out loud at her continued slaughter of English or our version thereof! Wow – for the love of God, please someone put a muzzle on her – and as for the comment from Cheney – NOW, now, you give McCain and the world your wit and wisdom? Whatever! Obama 2012!

August 1, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. blindbear

This is like something out of the Wizard of Oz, complete with a Tin Man with no heart, a Scarecrow with no brain, and a cowardly Lion with no balls. And all this time I thought that the proper analogy was to George Orwell's 1984. Oops ( (c) 2012, Rick Perry), wrong literature comparison.

August 1, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Janer52

a spat between these two...a perfect reflection of the state of the GOP. zzzzzzzz

August 1, 2012 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. Lean Forward

Let me help out here. You we BOTH bad picks. (Cheney a 13% final approval rating enough said and Palin we dodged a bullet)
    Now go to your rooms the both of you and dont come out

August 1, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. Janer52

GH – isn't it even scarier that now Romney is 'the' candidate? neither one of these clowns are/were ready for a national, let alone a global stage.

August 1, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |