Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. billy

If we just ignore Palin will she go away?

August 1, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Tom

I have several republican friends that voted Obama because of fear that she would possibly be called to step up. Now, with the flip flop gaffer Mitt, they're debating whether to vote Obama again.

August 1, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. jonvi

Careful where you aim? Was this befor or after she saved us from a Soviet invastion?

August 1, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. snowdogg

Love it... more bickering and back-stabbing between GOP !!!

August 1, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Jon

Evidently, someone just taught Palin the word "evidently" and she's evidently going to use it as much as possible.

August 1, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. Carbone

Dick C. was right, Sarah was not prepared.

August 1, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  7. Bryan

Why is she blaming the "lamestream media"? Its almost as if she tries to be unfit for political office. She's a mouthpiece. She's like the redneck neighbor with a house full of kids who all play shirtless in the front yard while she and her muscle shirt wearing husband sit on an old floral patterned couch that rest on their green astro-turf covered front porch watching an old RCA TV with rabbit ears on top of an aluminum TV tray. There's 5 cars missing hubcaps in the driveway when only two people drive, along with a 1976 brown conversion van with 2×4's behind the wheels that hasn't run since 1987.

August 1, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Expat American

Sarah Palin suffers from MAMSMGS

(Middle-Aged Middle School Mean Girl Syndrome)

August 1, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. She hurts my brains

I am still trying to get the fact she had a reality tv show out of my head.....when does SHE do dancing with the Stars?? Her kid is doing it again....Why America????? WHY???

August 1, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. cali girl

Too funny, I have my popcorn ready and my comfy chair. It is lovely to see the GOP imploding on themselves.

August 1, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. Blue

Tit for tat! At least she wasn't given the chance to destroy our country as Cheney did.

August 1, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. John

The truth hurts, doesn't it Sarah? And lamestream media? I believe Cheney's thoughts also appear in Fox. Ouch!

August 1, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  13. Martin

Wow, the former Governor lacks so much class.

Fox News repeatedly refers to her as "Governor Palin", even though she barely finished half a term.

Apparently Governor Palin isn't smart enough to realize that when she doesn't refer to a former Vice President by their title, she's not disrespecting the person, she's disrespecting the office of the Vice President. Sean Hannity does the same thing when he refers to President Obama as "The Annointed One", it's not disrespecting Obama, it's disrespecting the office of President of The United States, but Hannity isn't smart enough to realize this.

She's calling him "Dick"? Instead of "Former Vice President Cheney"? Even if you don't like the man's politics (which I don't), he's earned the right for respect.

August 1, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Robert

"Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon."

Who would go hunting with Dick Cheney? Especially with big game rifles.

August 1, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. Martin

Another comment to be ignored from the reality show Governor.

August 1, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. Jack in Florida

I love it when Mama Grizzley's go after their own.................for once, I agree, and I can't believe I am saying this, with Dick Cheney!! She was a waste.....had McCain picked someone competant and capable of running this country in his absence, I would have voted for him. Palin is the reason I did not vote for Mc Cain. Too bad, so sad.

August 1, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. jackson

Dumb and dumber.

August 1, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. Phoenixman

Man...this 'blame it on the media' "lame-stream media' Gets so old.

August 1, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. HR

She is the reason I wouldn't vote for McCain in the first place. He's as old as dirt and no way could she step up and be president. She couldn't even finish her term as governor so what does that tell you.

August 1, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. duffey

To both Pailin and Cheney: Now now children. Both should just grow up.

August 1, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Snooki Palin is warming up for her Rove wingnut tea potty civil war at the convention in Tampa. They will have their guns strapped on.

August 1, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  22. boyamidumb

Let's put the two of them in a cage and they can fight it out.

Better yet, let's put them in a pool of their own B.S. and see which one drowns first.

Even better let's export them to China and let them run for office there and embarrass the Chinese as much as they embarrassed the U.S.

or even better, let's put Cheney in jail where he belongs. And put her in the Kardashian reality program with the rest of the............

August 1, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. conoclast

Let's face it, Palin's sole marketable asset was her good looks, but now cynicism has taken its toll on even that. Lately she looks hard and bitter with disappointment. See ya, Barbie! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

August 1, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Romin2003

I can't stand either one, but the misfire quote is truly hilarious.

August 1, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Fireflyed

Ever notice Palin can never say anything without adding words thats connect to guns?

Ever notice Chenys lips never stop clapping always on words of anything connected to warmongering but then again how could anyone not notice that ?

August 1, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |