Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. anagram_kid

And yet the question remains, if she were qualified to be POTUS, why didn’t she run?

August 1, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. kit8

I seldom agree with anything Cheney says but in this case he is stating the obvious. Palin wasn't ready then, isn't ready now, and will never be ready to step in as president. Cheney on the other hand was to ready to step in as president and some was ague he was the defacto president in the Cheney administration.

August 1, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. 97 Days until Obama is RE-ELECTED

Wait a minute.. isn't Failin' Palin EMPLOYED by the lamest of the lamestream media she so denigrates ??
    I forgot that Faux Noise is an entertainment network.. so I guess that doesn't count, eh ?

August 1, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. Expat American

Palin attacking Cheney is like Peggy Hill throwing chicken mcnuggets at Pol Pot.

August 1, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Chedar

Breaking News! The Tea Party told Romney to pick Palin as VP.

August 1, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. canniwander

Don't kid yourself Sarah, you'll never be more than a tool. That makes you the bat; the tool used to strike the ball, in case you have to go look it up.

August 1, 2012 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. Dave

Sorry Sara has made a lot of money with the visibility given to her as a VP candidate. wish she had just stayed in Alaska.

August 1, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  8. bill

no palin, I believe what dick came to realize is what America already knew 4 yrs ago, that you were a mistake then and unfortunately you continue to remind us today.

August 1, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. wjchucklebutt

Can anyone diagram this sentence?

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame."

August 1, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. Roger

I love it when all the snakes start eating each other.
    Obama 2012 and turn the House.

August 1, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. David

It's as if Palin and Cheney are vying for the position of greatest has-been, also-ran. The two couldn't be less important today and it's killing them both inside.

August 1, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. David Trembley

Im waiting to see,what she has to say about Romney when he does not pick her as his running mate.

August 1, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. swing state voter

she is hilarious.

August 1, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. vulpecula

I'm an independent, and in in the GOP runoff in 2000, Voted for McCain. But once It was decided it would be Bush vs. Gore, I voted Gore. In 2004 Bush vs. Kerry, I voted Kerry. In 2008, I was very prepared to vote McCain, when he picked Palin as VP, I had to go Obama. Now the GOP had a clown party for 2012. Santorum? No. Bachmann? No. Gingrich? No. Perry? No. Paul? like some of his ideas, hate others, No. Edwards? Edwards was the GOP runner I might would have voted for. But the GOP is stuck with Romney. So, It looks like I'll be voting Obama again. I want very much to see canadates that offer me a choice. But the GOP seems to want to cater to the far right instead of the majority in the center. I have to wonder if the GOP is about to go the way of the old Wig Party.

August 1, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. Jared

I thought her credentials as an Alaskan beauty queen or the umpteen year diploma she worked for in journalism qualified her to be Commander in Chief. You betcha she was some good on that there reality TV show. Real presidential-like she was. Even though she don't read real good, she seemed to learn us all lots about death panels...lol. Honestly, is this even news? Palin was, is, and will forever be a JOKE.

August 1, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. KennyEee

Isn't chaney out of office now and not doing anything but getting a heart transplant at the age where it is to late for everyone else unless you have a lot of money?

August 1, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  17. Jim, San Antonio

Sorry Sarah, a baseball is smarter than you are!

August 1, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  18. dcase20

It was a mistake. But what else are they going to say? John McCain accomplished absolutely nothing by choosing her. Unless loosing is an accomplishment. Hey Sarah, real patriots give up money to serve their country. People like you give up service to their country for money. You are a pathetic accuse for a patriot. My daughter will learn about you alright.

August 1, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. Ambrose Smith

"Lamestream media! Squawk! Lamestream media! Squawk!" Is that the best she's got?

August 1, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  20. NorCalMojo

Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

Even Palin haters have to admit that's awesome.

August 1, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. jamdfh

Can you say, "Celebrity Boxing?" Bring it!

August 1, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  22. winky

Can we all just get along!

August 1, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. Al-NY,NY

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball,"
    --------------–

oh how Freudian Simple Sarah!! I bet you love both!

August 1, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Cap'n Rita

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney"
    Seriously, how juvenile can you get? This GOP reality circus is even more low-class than Jersey Shore.

August 1, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  25. Dave Jaipersaud

Sarah! Go run after a male moose in heat. He might find you interesting.

August 1, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |