Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim
August 1st, 2012

Palin to Cheney: Careful where you aim

(CNN) – Don't expect to see Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney on an elk hunt anytime soon.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday for his assertion that it was a mistake to put her on the 2008 GOP ticket, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lamestream media."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

On Sunday, Cheney said in an interview he felt it was a "mistake" for then-GOP nominee John McCain to choose Palin as his running mate.

Cheney said Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back on Monday, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

Palin said Tuesday the real mistake would have been turning down McCain's invitation to join the GOP ticket.

"Here's where the mistake would have been, I believe. If I had not answered the call," Palin said. "I was honored to run for the vice president of the United States alongside Sen. John McCain. I was honored to accept the nomination from the GOP."

Citing her approval ratings as governor, Palin said it would have been easier for her to "have hunkered down, live that luxurious live, if you will, in Alaska."

Quoting lyrics from Dire Straits, Palin said she was being targeted by members of her own party.

"Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, baby, and sometimes you're the ball," Palin said. "Evidently, in these last months, per many many comments from those within the GOP establishment, I'm the ball."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. Amazed

Can someone please translate this for me? Sorry but I don't speak jibberish...

August 1, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. John

I think the Shrill just proved the poin tfor Chenney. He is looking amazingly better!

August 1, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. Pete

Jeez, does she need to respond to everything? try to act somewhat dignified...

August 1, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. demwit

If Palin were a progressive socialist.., CNN's staff would treat her different. Not that that means anything...

August 1, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. GFYSPDC

Throw down the gloves. Who will issue the challenge for a Duel? Winchesters at 30 paces!

August 1, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  6. gus

What an arrogant and stupendously stupid woman. She blames everyone else for her lack of qualifications for anything. She can't even speak the language correctly.

August 1, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  7. NOTAGOPFAN

"LAMESTREAM MEDIA"? She actually is STILL saying that? And she made that comment on the LAMEST media outlet EVER. Please please please, go away and leave us alone.

August 1, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  8. Doc Deb

She was getting beaten up in Alaska and the tide had turned against her. They were getting ready to go after her and she ran away. The fact that she stikll gets so much support from the GOP astonishes me.

August 1, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  9. HUNNYBUNNY

Palin is such a loser. This woman and her family love the limelight and each sucking dollars up in publicity stunts. Too bad the American people just don't ignore Sarah and family as this family ofare all nuts. Ignore them and hopefully they all disappear from the American spotlight. Sarah who?????

August 1, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. Tex71

The best thing about a battle between a schizoid mink with rabies and an aging hyena is that both are, temporarily, a bit less likely to be causing trouble for the other folks living around the waterhole. The harder these two go at it, the better for the rest of us.

August 1, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Beverly

Cheney wanted a PUPPET like he had with the "TWIG".....Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove and rest of background gang needed a "patsy" to enforce their agenda.....Vote Romernator in and you'll get the same thing again....Remember, "the power is always behind the throne" ....

August 1, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  12. ritmocojo

For once Darth Cheney speaks the truth. Must be that new heart.

August 1, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. uhoh

The party that can't even agree amongst themselves wants us to believe that they can unite and run the country again?! GOP = bad for US

August 1, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. anagram_kid

Palin and Cheney, poster children for one of the many things that is wrong with some members of the modern GOP – the inability to learn from one’s mistakes. They both seem obsessed with image rehabilitation and at this point it is hard to tell which is more of a failure at this effort. But by all means keep talking; there are some Americans who may have forgotten just how low the GOP has sunk.

August 1, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. Sargent Marks

I do not like Cheney, however he was spot on with his commentary. Did anyone think McCain would agree with Cheney? No way. He didn't want to look any more like an idiot than he already is by picking Palin. I can see Russia from my backyard...

August 1, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  16. BWooster

M: That looks more to me like a transcription error by someone who may actually have perfectly good grammar, but, working under the influence of proximity to Palin's actual statements (i.e., "...having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years..."), was powerless to avoid the live/life transposition. I'm trying to figure out why Palin's joke/dig at Cheney on the 'misfire' front wasn't a little better crafted. Would it not have been simpler and more effective to say "Oh, I see this as just another Cheney misfire" and leave it to the audience's imagination? Sigh.

August 1, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Let's face it, I'm no Palin fan but I'm surprise that the Palin bashers here are simply overlooking the fact that Palin is not so much complaining about the scrutiny over her lack of experience or readiness but rather over the way Dick Cheyney and the republican party used her to promote their agenda but is now turning against her because they lost the election. That is plain hypocrisy. I have a question to conservative women out there? Don't you feel Sarah's pain now? And do you still trust the GOP to represent your intrests and the interests of your family? And do you still believe the right wing propaganda that President Obama is against you and the GOP is for you? Better think twice!

August 1, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. justinstl

Why is ANYONE paying any attention to her?

August 1, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  19. verna heiberg

Why is this woman still in the news? She is irrelevant in every respect. Read "Game Change"-she is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

August 1, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. FormerMarineSgt

Palin is in such a state of denial that it's amazing.

but then so is Cheney.

August 1, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. sick of republican phonies

Her response-typically- sounds like that of a petulant, spoiled teenager. "Dick- excuse me, Mr. Cheney..." Of course she didn't rebut the claim or address its veracity. I don't see any republicans rushing to back her up, except for loser McCain who HAS to support her or else look like the fool he was for picking her.

August 1, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  22. rs

Two has-beens that are hardly news, perhaps with the single point that these two individuals demonstrate the fight for the Republican Party- between the mindless, ever rightward moving "TEA Party" and the clueless (and criminal) neo-Conservative faction. I just wish the Republicans could find the sane, sensible adults that used to be their hallmark.

August 1, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  23. dizzylucy

Nothing Palin loves more than playing the victim and blaming the media. It's never her fault and her critics are always wrong.

August 1, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. Bernie Margolis

Absolutely. That interview with Katie Couric in which Governor Palin was unable to answer "gotcha" questions like, "what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?" was a giant hoax perpetrated by the lamestream media. The fact that she failed to even serve out her full term as governor was also the fault of the lamestream media. I guess that Governor Palin is too busy attempting to see Russia from Alaska to spot her own faults. I was wholeheartedly behind John McCain until his choice of VP ruined my confidence in his judgement.

August 1, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Chris

Evidently, 'evidently' is her new favorite word.

August 1, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |