Romney hits July jobs report as a 'moral failure'
August 3rd, 2012

Romney hits July jobs report as a 'moral failure'

North Las Vegas, Nevada (CNN) – Mitt Romney said Friday in Nevada that a monthly jobs report showing the unemployment rate rising from 8.2% to 8.3% proved President Barack Obama had failed to stem the suffering of 23 million Americans still out of work.

The same report showed 163,000 jobs were created in July, a statistic the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said represented only one element of a larger, disappointing record.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'm not going to look so much at every monthly statistic, as much as to say this continues a pattern of American families really struggling, having hard times, and the president's to blame for not having gotten the economy back on track," Romney said after a campaign rally in Las Vegas. Nevada is a battleground state whose unemployment rate is well above the national average.

"A lot of people are suffering in this country," Romney continued. "I think it's an extraordinary failure of policy, a failure of leadership, and I think it's a moral failure for a country as successful and prosperous as our own to go now four years in a mode which feels to many people as a recession."

READ MORE: Obama touts job record, says more remains to be done

Speaking at his campaign rally, Romney offered his own five-point plan as an alternative to what he said were Obama's failed policies.

"These numbers are not just statistics," Romney said. "These are real people, really suffering, having hard times. Twenty-three million Americans out of work or stopped looking for work or under employed."

"This is an extraordinary record of failure," the Republican candidate continued. "The president's policies are not working because he thinks government makes America work. He is wrong."

Romney's plan, which he rolled out Thursday at an event in Colorado, is a simplified campaign message that utilizes traditional conservative stances he says will "get the middle class working again."

The proposals include ramping up domestic energy production; increasing trade and job training; focusing on deficit reduction; and boosting small businesses, with Romney promising that, if elected, he would deliver on them to unleash the full potential of the U.S. economy.

Taking questions from the press following his event, Romney responded to allegations from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that he has not been paying his taxes, reiterating his call for Reid to "put up or shut up."

"Harry, who are your sources? Let's have Harry explain who that is," Romney said.

The candidate said firmly, "I have paid taxes every year, and a lot of taxes, so Harry is wrong."

Asked to weigh in on a pair of culture clashes within the GOP - the growing debate about Chick-fil-A, and its president's opposition to same-sex marriage, and Rep. Michele Bachmann's effort to find Muslim extremists within the federal government - Romney demurred.

"I'm not going to tell other people what things to talk about. Those are not things that are part of my campaign," Romney said.

CNN's Shawna Shepherd and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: Jobs • Mitt Romney • Nevada
  1. Lisa P

Obama/Biden – 2012 – Slightly Better than the Great Depression

if obama gets re-elected who will he blame for his failures in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016???? will he still blame everybody else??? honesty people, four more years of this crazy blame game? are you serious???!!
    August 3, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    If Romney is elected will he quit wasting our time by pointing fingers and making up lies about President Obama? Will he come up with an actual plan that he will actually implement, and admit to implementing? Or will he cry "Victim!" and try to weasel out of it at the first sign of disapproval or opposition? Who's skirt will Mitt Romney hide behind if he doesn't have Barack Obama to kick around (or, really, *pretend* to kick around - Obama's smart and tough and more than a match for Mitt) anymore?

August 3, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. truth hurts

>Rudy NYC - Meanwhile, coming out of the other side of the mouth, they're saying, "It;'s my money.

yes, money they make is their money. it is not the governments or yours as much as you would like to think that.

>I worked hard for it.

yes, they did. and in the process provided jobs for 1 or maybe hundreds of thousands. it was not an easy thing to do.

>The government has no right to it.

they have a right to what the laws of the country demand. no more, no less.

>I'm keeping it."

well it is their money right? right?? aren't people or companies allowed to do what they want with their own money?

August 3, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. once upon a horse

Hey Mitt that moral failure just boosted the Dow up 217 points. ROFLMAO!!

August 3, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. MrRickinNH

Good job Harry!! Make this POTUS wannabe show us what is really going on! New hires by the private sector have doubled expectations. I guess if U are ultra rich... this is a moral failure. More GOP logic for ya!!

August 3, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. mogran

Brian I think Obama's failures are reason enough to fire him next election...where are those Jobs he promised, why is the debt in the trillions of dollars, why is unemployment so high, why have thousands been added to the welfare roles...after nearly 4 years, he's still blaming bush...priceless.

August 3, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Nonpartisan American First

I was taught it is a moral failure to belong to a cult and not pay your taxes.

August 3, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. v_mag

mogran said: "At the very least Mitt knows how to balance a checkbook, a skill Obama seems to be seriously lacking!"
    President Obama got that checkbook, and a seriously damaged economy, from George W. Bush. Rob-money is Bush's clone. Electing Rob-money would be equivalent to re-electing Bush, and no sane person wants that to happen.

Romney = Bush = disaster

August 3, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Lisa P

mogran

August 3, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    How would you know? Mitt hires people to balance his check book, invest his wealth, hide his money, pay (or not pay) his taxes, fire his employees, train his horse, run his campaign... Why would you ever think that Mitt Romney knows how to do anything by himself, without paid help and advice? Not that knowing how much you have even matters when you're as rich as Mitt Romney - he's the John D. Hackensacker III of political candidates.

August 3, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. justthesame

unbelievable. I'm going to pat myself on the back for unemployment over 8% and rising again. What's next.... do we get the "it would be worse i f i wasn't here line".... again!

August 3, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. 4pease

Romney is a moral failure. Sending jobs overseas, not paying any taxes, taking a $70 deduction for a dancing horse, and not being straightforward about plans to cut our medicaid benefits and raise our taxes. Horrible man.

August 3, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. John P. Tarver

Obama is Bush's third term.
    It is a simple choice this year, rhubarb pie, or cow pie.

August 3, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. Obama/Biden – 2012 – Slightly Better than the Great Depression

Rudy NYC
    False assumption. What makes you think that I am speaking solely for myself? I am selfless. Conservatives are defined by their greed. "Are YOU better off today than YOU were so many years ago?" Shouldn't that question be about "WE" not "YOU"? And that explains why the 'job creators' are sitting on nearly $2 trllion playing the "economic uncertainty" card. They've used the GOTP to play the entire country for fools
    =========================================================================================
    America is about personal achievement and success. We are not the Borg collective you wish to be. I suggest you head on over to Cuba if that is the system you wish to live under. I don't work my butt off to make sure YOU live better. I work my butt off so I can provide for myself and my family. The government chooses to take more than it leaves me and my family only to give much of it to others would do nothing but demand more. There are too many of you feeding off my pay check. I will not get rid of one of my kids in order to support 5 more of you free loaders. Start fending for yourselves or at least try. You are pulling the rest of us down with you.

August 3, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  13. Thunderbolt

You guys need to get off the coolaide and do some research. Romney is right.....I know, don't you hate it! And evan tho you push it everyday ,everyone knows that its the dem led senate that is blocking everything. The house has put Bills before congress that Harry Reid hasn't evan let on the floor to be debated. The senate will fulfill Obama's first term without ever creating a budget.....what??.....crickets. All the deceit and lies told by this administration are going to catch up with it in a few months. I don't understand why issues like Fast and Furious, Solyndra, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. and on and on and on. I thought you people were against the type of corruption seen in the Bush days. Oh, but only if your guy is the corrupt one. Well, you got that one right. Obama makes Bush look like a toddler in pre-school. I wouldn't vote for this guy if we had 100% employment simply for the way he has chosen to do things. Division, lies, deceit, pay-offs,bribes, extortion, and the hunger to destroy anyone who has a different idea. The attack on our Freedoms, and the lies about taxes. I actually seen him say that the healthcare Bill couldn't raise taxes, if it did he would veto it, then after Pelosis got her Bill she never bothered to read , passed. its packed full of taxes on everyone. What a sham, what a loser and chief. Yeah its all Bush's fault for things like Acorn, and again here comes the etc. for all the different organizations the dems have created that sucks the worth out of everything. If you really want to get the country on the right track, start with giving ther senate to the republicans. I bet it won't take them two and a half years to show the economy turning around. Nor will it take them two and a half years to start working on it..........geeeez, Did I forget to mention the borders, Or Obama's tearing down of what legal means we have to deal with it. Giving this man another term would be like burning your house down, rebuilding it, and setting it afire again. I just don't see anything positive in his first four years.Why risk it?

August 3, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Bob

@onceuponahorse

One day of stock growth does that erases the previous day's slide. If I am not mistaken, doesn't Obama vilify Wall street? You can't claim credit for gains while simultaneously blaming for losses.

August 3, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. v_mag

I'd like straight answers to these 3 simple questions from the wingnuts:

1. How is Rob-money ANY different from George W?
    2. If Rob-money is not any different, why would anybody actually vote for him, other than racism?
    3. Why would anyone vote for a congress person who did nothing but bloviate for 2-4 years and pray for the economy not to recover?

August 3, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. LBAM

According to a study released Wednesday by the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, Romney's plan would provide large tax cuts to the very wealthy, while increasing the tax burden on the lower and middle classes.

Romney's tax cuts would produce a $360 billion revenue loss in 2015, and offsetting that would require a reduction of 65% of all available tax expenditures, according to the study.

The end result is that individuals who make less than $200,000 would actually have to pay $500 more, on average, in taxes - a 1.2% decrease in after-tax income. Meanwhile, the after-tax income of individuals who make more than $1 million would increase by 4.1%

August 3, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Jeb

The true moral failure is Romney's record of shipping American jobs overseas.

August 3, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. rs

Thunderbolt-

I think that if you look at the Senate you'll see that one Mitch McConnell has his fingerprints on all of the filibusters. The Senate has set a record for the number of filibusters in the last two years.
    As far as the GOP-run House, yes, they have been very productive: 33 votes to repeal the ACA, and more than 120 bills on birth control and abortion. Face it- the GOP is oute of its collective mind!

August 3, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |