America one step closer to President Roseanne
August 5th, 2012
2 months ago

America one step closer to President Roseanne

(CNN) – Exactly one year after announcing her White House bid on "The Tonight Show," actress and comedian Roseanne Barr won the presidential nomination of the Peace and Freedom Party Saturday in Los Angeles.

Barr's vice presidential running-mate is Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq and anti-war activist best known for her protest outside of then-President George W. Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Robert Yoon on Twitter: @robyoon

"Cindy and I are the ‘Throw the Bums Out’ ticket and the ‘Ballot Access’ ticket. The American people are sick and tired of this ‘lesser evil’ garbage they get fed every election year," said Barr before the party's convention vote, which was held at the United Methodist Church in Los Angeles. "Both the Democrats and the Republicans do the same evils once they’re in office."

Barr had originally sought the Green Party presidential nomination but lost that contest last month to Dr. Jill Stein.

As of now, Barr will not appear on enough ballots in November to have a mathematical chance of winning the White House or having much of an effect on the final outcome. The Peace and Freedom Party, based in California, historically has had little ballot presence outside the state.

However, Barr's campaign also serves as a high-profile voter registration drive to secure the party's ballot status for future elections.

Said Barr, "I’m here to tell the voters: if you want to tell the government and the two domineering parties that you’re sick and tired of all their evil, register in the Peace and Freedom Party and vote for me and Cindy."

Perhaps preparing herself for the rigors of the fall campaign, one of the Emmy Award-winning actress' first stops Saturday night after winning the nomination was to attend a Comedy Central roast in her honor, where her quixotic campaign was likely a topic. The roast will air on August 12.

Filed under: 2012 • Cindy Sheehan
  1. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Thanks. I needed that.

August 5, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. Pander Express

She'd be better than Romney

August 5, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. Reddog9500

Roseanne Barr is an embarrassment. The way she butchered the National Anthem was disrespectful to her fellow Americans and those who died defending her right to do so. She's not even funny.

August 5, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. mikrik13

At least there would be a people's candidate. President Obama doesn't know how and Mr. Romney doesn't care how.

August 5, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Winning

It's too bad that a third party can't come together and field a serious candidate. All of the other parties (Green, Peace and Freedom, American Independent, etc.) have crazy platforms and always have nut bar candidates. I almost think that they are fake parties created by the Dems and Repugs simply to give the illusion of third parties that will never be able to compete with the two main ones.

August 5, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. TS

Two things... (1) NO ONE is required to put their hand over their heart for the National Anthem. The "hand-over-heart" is only for the Pledge of Allegiance. So, if the President does not put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, it is perfectly fine and does NOT show a lack of respect.
    (2) Roseanne would probably be better than Insane Clown Paul and Anti-Jobs MA Governor Romney. It's simple: WRITE-IN!

August 5, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

American politics need a little humor and levity. Too much doom and gloom coming from the extreme right and left.

August 5, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Yeahona

The inmates running the asylum or just a normal day in politics? We report, you decide.

August 5, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. Rob

She would be a better choice than Romney.

August 5, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. Noreen

You just can't make up stuff like this!

August 5, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Gride

After the destruction Obama has purposely bestowed on this country anyone would be better.

August 5, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. PraiseTheLard

Since I can't in good conscience vote for either Obama or Romney, she'll have my vote – even if I have to write it in...

August 5, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Thomas

Why me lord ?

Lord grant me a one day pardon from the insanity of celebrity .

It's Sunday , I don't need to know about Roseanne Barr and Clint Eastwood illegitimate 60's love child !

August 5, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Gus

Can't be any worse than Obama. At least she has an American birth certificate.

August 5, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. yes!

You got my vote and many others i know, Roseanne and Cindy!

August 5, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Mike

Barr/Sheehan 2012

My shoes have a higher IQ than the two of them put together.

August 5, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Nonpartisan American First

@Gus and Gride: Why don't the two of you run you seem to have all the answers. It sounds catchy Gus/Gride 2012.

August 5, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. J-Man

Why does anyone listen to this horrible woman. She is crass and just plain annoying. I thought we got rid of her 10 years go. She just needs to go away and never be heard from again.

August 5, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Lee Downie

Pat Paulson... where are you now when we need you?

August 5, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Rob

Better than Romney! Thanks to Mittens, I now know the word "Dressage". That's a word I never wanted to know and frankly, I can't afford to know.

August 5, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Pablo

Open the debates to include Barr and Jill Stein and then we may be able to say we live in a democracy.

August 5, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. Dean

My two dogs are smarter than Cindy and Roseanne......Better looking too.

August 5, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. David

Today, I'd vote for Bozo before I'd vote for Obama.

August 5, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. lynn

how would you like to see that face in your rearview mirror .

August 5, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. Wes

Sorry, but I'm sticking with that "Mayhem" guy from the insurance commercials. He looks presidential and seems to know how to handle any disaster. And we sure have a lot of disasters working in congress, on Wall Street and on "K" street. Gary Johnson would have been okay, but when he was our governor his cheese slid off his cracker long before Rosanne's ever did. In fact I don't think there is any landscape on Roseanne that anything could slide off of. I feel bad for Cindy Sheehan, but she should have realized long ago that we did not have the draft, and nobody seems to have found a cure for stupid. War and stupidity are codependent functions. You go to war you get what you sign up for. It is horrible.

August 5, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |