America one step closer to President Roseanne
August 5th, 2012
2 months ago

America one step closer to President Roseanne

(CNN) – Exactly one year after announcing her White House bid on "The Tonight Show," actress and comedian Roseanne Barr won the presidential nomination of the Peace and Freedom Party Saturday in Los Angeles.

Barr's vice presidential running-mate is Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq and anti-war activist best known for her protest outside of then-President George W. Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Robert Yoon on Twitter: @robyoon

"Cindy and I are the ‘Throw the Bums Out’ ticket and the ‘Ballot Access’ ticket. The American people are sick and tired of this ‘lesser evil’ garbage they get fed every election year," said Barr before the party's convention vote, which was held at the United Methodist Church in Los Angeles. "Both the Democrats and the Republicans do the same evils once they’re in office."

Barr had originally sought the Green Party presidential nomination but lost that contest last month to Dr. Jill Stein.

As of now, Barr will not appear on enough ballots in November to have a mathematical chance of winning the White House or having much of an effect on the final outcome. The Peace and Freedom Party, based in California, historically has had little ballot presence outside the state.

However, Barr's campaign also serves as a high-profile voter registration drive to secure the party's ballot status for future elections.

Said Barr, "I’m here to tell the voters: if you want to tell the government and the two domineering parties that you’re sick and tired of all their evil, register in the Peace and Freedom Party and vote for me and Cindy."

Perhaps preparing herself for the rigors of the fall campaign, one of the Emmy Award-winning actress' first stops Saturday night after winning the nomination was to attend a Comedy Central roast in her honor, where her quixotic campaign was likely a topic. The roast will air on August 12.

Filed under: 2012 • Cindy Sheehan
  1. Snooky Lanson From the 12th street gang

She got bad ratings on her last show. She'll never make it, just pull votes away from the other two.

August 5, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Steve

CNN covers this but not Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party? I think I'll be getting my "news" elsewhere.

August 5, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  3. the Obvious

She hates the National Anthem, both the other candidates hate our entire country. It's a toss up who I care less about.

August 5, 2012 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. larry W

CNN you have got to be joking....I thought you was a credible news site.

August 5, 2012 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. James

Compared to what we've had for the past couple of terms, can't see her doing worse.

August 5, 2012 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  6. Norman

Wow...that would REALLY lower the Barr....

August 5, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. jack878

Which is worse in the White House someone who is a comedian or someone who is a joke.

August 5, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Dave

I agree with one thing Roseanne said–I too am sick of voting AGAINST someone rather than FOR someone. Being a 61 year old retiree in pretty good health, I would gladly run against the "Status Quo"! I have a college degree (in case that matters), I volunteer in my community just because it is the right thing to do, and I am not bought & paid for by any special interest groups! Sorry, I don't have overseas tax havens or tax shelters in other countries, I never sent jobs out of this country, and I have a birth certificate & tax returns, but I can work to overcome these differences vs. the others!!

August 5, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  9. lol

as usual we have nothing but Urine, Feces or Vomit to vote for

August 5, 2012 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. Blyden

Interesting that CNN chooses to cover the candidacy of Roseanne Barr, but does not cover the candidacies of Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Justice Party candidate Rocky Anderson, Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, or any of a number of other third party candidates, despite the fact that some of those candidates have potential to impact the outcome of this year's election. Why is it that CNN doesn't want to cover those candidates?

August 5, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. Craig

Romney should pick Roseanne as his VP. He's not going to win anyway and we could have a little fun between now & election day.

August 5, 2012 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  12. Marie MD

@gus – I take it that you are a friend of Barr or you were there when she was born. I don't remember her showing the world her birth certificate which the President has done ad nauseum.
    BTW – I WANT TO SEE THE TWIT'S TAXES FOR THE LAST 10-12 YEARS. This is what he showed mcnasty and look at the traitor he ended up with who completely destroyed any dignity he had left.
    @gride – so sorry that you were in a coma during #43's war criminal administration. Just thought you might want to know that the old farts of the supreme court appointed him president. He couldn't win it fair and square either!

August 5, 2012 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. works4me

We're in deep mitt!

August 5, 2012 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  14. Sister Theresa

She's got my vote.

August 5, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Taxpayer58

Celebrity? Spare me. Has been, perhaps. Self-important whiner, definitely. But celebrity, no.

August 5, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. Anonymous

@DrPaul

A country dumb enough to vote in Obama is probably dumb enough to vote in Roseanne.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I must assume you're planning to vote for a man supported by the same party that created the recession, started two wars and has spent over three years obstructing any progress. You might not want to put that on your application for membership in MENSA...

August 5, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Liz the First

Great! just what we need, another 3rd party candidate throwing a monkey wrench into the election process. if she does to Obama what Nader did to Gore, she should be horsewhipped. is she delusional enough to actually think she can be the leader of the Free World? what's she been smoking lately? and there are, judging from the posts here, people dumb enough to actually vote for her.

August 5, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. brian in denver

Why not? She's way better than any of the clowns on the Republican ticket!

August 5, 2012 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  19. clay

Please Please PLEASE, if you actually agree with the message expressed by the Peace and Freedom Party, enroll as a member of the Green Party and vote for Jill Stein in November. Ms. Barr is on an ego trip, and if she really wanted to engage politically in a way that would have had a positive impact on the progressive movement in America she would have respected the wishes of the Green Party delegation and begun campaigning on behalf of Jill Stein. Ms. Barr's campaign is completely counterproductive to the cause for progressive politics in this country. I don't belong to a campaign. I just want to see the movement that most clearly articulates a lot of the things that need to happen to make America better be successful. Ms. Barr is hurting that. Please support Jill Stein for President, and contact Ms. Barr and encourage her to do the same.

August 5, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. Peter

Roseanne Barr? A Celebrity? Roseanne? A Celebrity? Wow....what will them folks in Hooterville think of next. Roseanne Barr? A Celebrity? Roseanne? A Celebrity? Moooooooooove over Arnold!

August 5, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  21. lies from obama (and mabye his father)

Obama should pick her for a running mate if Biden ever runs out of stuipid stuff to throw at republicans. Dumb and Dumber 2012!

August 6, 2012 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  22. Nora

I consider myself very lucky to live in Australia where we have proper preferential voting, instead of being forced to choose between two parties like people with first-past-the-post systems are. The only truly democratic voting system is one which allows you to rank the candidates. There are different ways of counting after that point, but what matters is being able to rank all the candidates rather than having to pick one.

August 6, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  23. Anonymous

She would be so much better as president than either of the twin clown theater of Romney / Obama.

August 6, 2012 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  24. Thomas

@Gus
    Can't be any worse than Obama. At least she has an American birth certificate.

At lest Obama doesn't use over seas tax havens .
    Show us your tax returns .

August 6, 2012 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  25. Calamus Nomen

Run Roseanne, run!

Wouldn't President Roseanne that be the ultimate "Domestic Goddess"

August 6, 2012 01:27 am at 1:27 am |