Cheney: McCain's process was a mistake, not Palin
August 6th, 2012

Cheney: McCain's process was a mistake, not Palin

(CNN) - She wasn't a mistake after all.

A week after asserting Sen. John McCain made a mistake in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate, former Vice President Dick Cheney clarified he thought the selection process itself was at fault.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"It wasn't aimed so much at Gov. Palin as it was against the basic process that McCain used," Cheney said in an interview set to air on Fox News Monday, according to a transcript posted by TIME magazine.

Cheney continued, "My point basically dealt with the process in terms of that basic requirement, is this person prepared to step in to be president of the United States when they're picked? And it was my judgment – I was asked if I thought the McCain process in '08 had been well done or was it a mistake and I said I thought it was a mistake."

He added, "The process didn't meet the standards I would like to see our candidate pursue when they pick a running mate."

Cheney made his original remarks last Sunday, saying he thought Palin failed to meet the number one requirement for a vice president: a readiness to step into the top job if needed.

"Based on her background, she was only governor for two years, I don't think she passed that test of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

McCain himself pushed back the next day, saying he was proud of Palin and what the pair accomplished four years ago.

"I'm always glad to get comments four years later," McCain added sarcastically.

The former Alaska governor slammed Cheney Tuesday, saying the former vice president was being influenced by the "lame stream media."

Appearing to reference a now-infamous incident from 2006 when Cheney accidentally shot a campaign contributor on a quail hunt, Palin said sarcastically that Cheney was not known for his "misfires."

"Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney – never misfires, then evidently he's quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lame stream media, having been written, what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently Dick Cheney believed that stuff and that's a shame," Palin said in an appearance on Fox News.

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Sarah Palin
  1. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

You can't walk it back now Darth. The process was a mistake and her being selected was beyond a mistake. It was a catastrophe. McCain selected a numbskull and she got exposed for being just that. I swear, everytime Game Change comes on I watch it just laugh at that imbicil.

August 6, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Bill

Maybe he should have had a brain transplant as well. This is laughable and clearly the product of a diseased mind.

August 6, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. will never vote Republician again

GOP=Back pedal party

August 6, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. Myviewis

Well Obama has never even been a governor, not even a mayor and he became President of the U.S. Obama never even worked for a city or even a regular full time job. Obama worked what part-time Lecturer, community organizer part-time and 4 years full-time lawyer and that is it for Obama's resume and he got the job of president which means Sarah Palin more than Obama could have taken over if she would have had to.

August 6, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. where your nightmares end WILLARD begins

me thinks that Liz and Dick had a little chat behind the scenes and the older Cheney relented. I love how these guys walk back what they have said at first, epecially if it is not well recieved by the base of the party. I guess Dick Cheney ain't as tough as he seems, Sarah "punked" him out!

August 6, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  6. cali girl

I think ol' Cheney is back pedaling. Pain has the biggest gaffe of a choice, it just took a few days to realize. Then it was uh oh.

August 6, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  7. Darlene

Yep Cheney it's hard to put that genie back in the bottle isn't it.

August 6, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. MTATL67

Give me she didn't even complete her first term as governor. McCain unleashed an extremist on the country. No matter how much Cheney tries to back pedal on his comments. The truth is the truth. Selecting Palin was a mistake…that the entire country is now paying for.

August 6, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. Woman In California

Sarah Palin looks good to me now that we've all had the chance to meet the Romney's. While I would never vote for her, she comes with far less baggage than the Romney's (good God). Personally, I see her in a different light now and between her and Willard, I'd take Sarah anyday.

August 6, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Thomas

Now chrildren...

August 6, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. JohnW

And that nonsensical sentence (technically it's a sentence although it appears to be about three or four jammed into one) she says at the end of the article is an excellent example of why she shouldn't be in office. Any office.

August 6, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. MartiM

Whoa, Dick Chaney walked back comments about Sarah Palin? Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

August 6, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  13. Toby McDooogan

HAY EVERYONE!!!! LOOK OVER HERE. IT'S A PALIN ARTICLE. WE KNOW HOW YOU CAN'T RESIST THOSE.

******** Please don't pay attention to the economy!!!!! Obama 2012 ************

August 6, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  14. American People

The American People don't want to hear of "has beens" (or better yet "never beens") like palin. We want to see Mitt's tax returns for the last 20 years. We also want to know how many jobs he off-shored and how much he has hiddent in off-shore accounts evading taxes. Put up or Shut up Mitt!!!!!

August 6, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. ghostriter

Chenney.....backing down to Palin? And it only took him a week to cave in.

August 6, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Sarah is showing signs of age. Stop talking Sarah it does cause wrinkles. And all you do is wimper anyway. That is not talking that you do. You are beginning to look like cheney

August 6, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. labman57

Nice attempt at nuancing your way out of a partisan hole, Dickie.
    So what he now says is that, although McCain's vetting process and selection priorities were totally inane, he still managed to pick the right person as his running mate ... which Cheney previously insisted was totally unqualified for that position.

Perhaps Palin the Hutt used an old Jedi mind trick on Darth Cheney ...

August 6, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. AgrippaMT

Both Palin and Cheney were colossal mistakes. Cheney in particular has done vast harm to America. He should be in prison.

August 6, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. sonny chapman

He spoke the truth & then realized what he'd done:Ronald Reagen's 11th Commandment-Speak No Evil Against a Fellow Republican. That "Commandment" doesn't match up with any Commandments from True Deities that I know of. Repubs., take your pick, Ronald Reagen or God, Yahweh and Allah.

August 6, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  20. GI Joe

Uh-Oh – flip-flopping is contagious.

August 6, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. B.

Cheney spending his final years attempting to rewrite history in feeble attempts to change his terrible legacy in vain..

Pathetic.

August 6, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. drake mallard

the gop think putting tokens=the white house

former governor of alaska=women vote

fake plumber= blue collar vote

former godfather pizza ceo=bl ack vote

Lied About His Cuban Exile Immigrant Background"=A Cuban on the
    ballot means nothing to the general population of the Hispanic
    community.

August 6, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. Kris

Nice try at a walk back, but the cat's out of the bag...he didn't think this one would be ready to be President..period!

August 6, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. 93 Days until Obama is RE-ELECTED

Yet another open mouth remove foot moment for the Repugs. It's always great to see the Grand Obstructionist Party back-pedaling on their own misstatements...have a nice day.

August 6, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. DB in AR

I'm sorry I meant any selection process that would allow Sarah Palin to be part of it had to be a mistake. Palin, seriously? I'm just sayin'. Again she wasn't a mistake because I understand that she was planned by her parents but to include someone so woefully unprepared for the Oval Office into a selection process that ultimately wound up selecting her was flawed beyond all resonable logic. (This is what Dick was saying)

August 6, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |