Hoekstra wins Michigan GOP primary
August 7th, 2012

Hoekstra wins Michigan GOP primary

(CNN) – Former Rep. Pete Hoekstra’s closest competitor in Michigan’s GOP Senate primary conceded Tuesday evening, and called on his supporters to unite behind Hoekstra, a former nine-term congressman.

Hoekstra was up against attorney Clark Durant in the GOP race. On Tuesday, Durant told his followers they must “unite behind candidates who will focus on the solutions to our record debt and spending crisis which effects every man, woman and child in Michigan.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“This November, that candidate will be Pete Hoekstra and we should unite behind him,” Durant continued.

Hoekstra will go on to challenge two-term Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow in the general election in November.

While Hoekstra win Tuesday was expected, Durant received a few last-minute boosts from high-profile conservatives.

Last week, the Tea Party Express threw its support behind the Senate hopeful, followed by 2008 presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a tea party favorite, and former Republican presidential candidate Steve Forbes also threw their weight behind Durant.

Hoekstra, a former nine-term congressman, had a fund-raising advantage over Durant, bringing in $3.5 million this cycle compared to his competitor at $2.2 million, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

And while Durant claimed tea party support, Hoekstra also had the backing of several top leaders in the movement, including Rep. Steve King of Iowa, Gov. John Kasich of Ohio and Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

Nonpartisan political handicappers Charlie Cook and Stuart Rothenberg both rate Michigan's Senate election in November as "likely" Democratic and "favoring" to Democrats.

Polls closed in Michigan at 8 p.m. ET.

– CNN Political Report Shannon Travis contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michigan • Peter Hoekstra
  1. Donkey Party

Hoekstra is the Steve King or Louie Ghomert of Michigan. Stop voting for these clowns, educate yourselves America!

August 7, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Wake up people

God I'm glad this is over today. If I have to see one more ad with that bagger Durant, I swear I will scream. While Hoekstra is no prize, at least he's not a bagger. Or that Nancy Cassis broad too.

OBAMA 2012!

August 7, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Fair is Fair

"Or that Nancy Cassis broad too."
    -----–
    "Broad"??? Seriously?????

August 7, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. Wake up people

That's right. I said broad! It's a lot better than 99% of the things President Obama and his family have been called.

August 7, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  5. Fair is Fair

"That's right. I said broad! "
    ------
    I see. Well, at least we know you're living in mommy's basement. Now put down the keyboard and wash your hands... she says your mac-n-cheese is ready. num, num, num...

August 7, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. Wake up people

Sorry as usual there you are making assumptions about people. I am a 47 year old female with a B.A. I haven't lived at home since I was 20. And I never lived in anyone's basement.

OBAMA 2012!

August 7, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. PJ

Wow, anybody that has the backing of Steve King should keep it quiet. Ditto for Tea Party endorsements.

August 7, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  8. robert jay1

I read where Romney 's Hood was making fellow Republican look stupid! I just signed in to say this is absolutely not true -McConnel / Boehner/ Cantor/ Limbaugh etc.and the moron from South Crayoll-lina need absolutely no help in looking stupid! My goodness how you Republicans think is amazing! happy trails to You !

August 7, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. Doesn't Matter

It's all academic anyway. Nearly anyone with any sense and the ability to do so have left the state and those left on the "East Side" are still firmly under the influence of the fantasy-peddlers, (e.g. Stabenow, Levin Brothers, Grandholm, etc), so don’t expect any “change” here. Remember, this is the state that not so many years ago almost had a Tort Attorney as Governor, so high order cranial activity is not a common occurrence in this part of the country.

August 7, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |