August 7th, 2012

This cycle's viral video? Gotye parody hits Obama

(CNN) - In a political twist off of the music group Gotye's chart-topping summer hit, 'Somebody that I used to know,' some supposed supporters of President Obama are now singing the political blues.

A group called "JustNewProductions" posted the four-minute "Obama that I used to know" video on YouTube on August 4 with the video description: "We could have been so much more than just friends with healthcare benefits."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Opening with the president's 2008 "Change" speech, the lyrics start by reminiscing about the euphoria many Obama supporters felt following his Election Day victory.

"When you won I felt so happy I could die," says the male singer - seemingly not clothed - in the style of the original Gotye video. "It felt like change, and it's a hope I still remember."

Remarks from Obama's speeches are interspersed throughout the video.

"You can get addicted to a certain kind of message," sings the man.

"But college ended, had to pay my rent," he continued. "At least you're the first gay president. But the change I got was that I moved in with my mother."

While the lyrics note some of what the Obama administration cites as his accomplishments, the video is nothing if not biting.

And they don't leave Mitt Romney out, though still focused on what they see as Obama's failure to help the young generation find jobs.

"You took Obamacare so far but you left me like a dog strapped on Romney's car."

"Now you're not Obama that I used to know," the chorus chimes.

Then the woman singer, wearing body paint like the real video, joins, also singing her criticisms of Obama. The male singer is now wearing the body paint too.

"Sometimes I think the peace prize winner shouldn't have a 'kill list,'" she sings. "But you dumped Bin Laden in the sea so maybe it's all good."

She continues by referencing the stimulus package as a metaphor for a failed physical relationship. You get the idea. That segment ends with Obama's now-famous singing of the "I'm so in love with you" by Al Green.

The two singers then turn to face each other for the final chorus.

"In 2012 I need Obama that I used to know."

The video ends with a sound bite from president speaking seemingly about himself, but actually out of context as it comes from Obama's answer to a question about another famed music star, Kanye West: "He's a jackass."

Gotye's hit has received almost 300 million plays on YouTube, with the parody far back but getting attention with almost 20,000 since its debut on Saturday.

CNN's Dashia Starr and Tim McCaughan contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Malory Archer

In other words they're plagerizing Gotye's music. Hope Gotye sues their backsides off!

August 7, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  2. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

Right wing propoganda. Now flip the script. Where's the Willard Milton Romney we used to know who said Romneycare should be a model for te nation? Or the Willard Milton Romney who said he will never infringe on a woman's right to choose? Better yet, the Romney who was a self proclaimed moderate now a severe conservative? Give me a break. Do me a favor right wing propoganda machine, tell Willard Milton to RELEASE HIS TAXES!!!

August 7, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  3. RealityBites

No worries Gotye, Obama will have more space for you.., after his re-election.

August 7, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. i want a mega rich Mormon who hides his money overseas, and a master tax evader as presiden

Oh please. Go vote for the middle class job killer in rob-me.

August 7, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. sonny chapman

When Man's aspiration for a better world runs into the reality of those who have a vested interest in the staus quo, the aspiration parade slows down. So, does that mean we should QUIT ? The human head is harder than the heart. Keep BANGING AWAY. The doors will open. ever so slowly. This is the HISTORY OF MANKIND.

August 7, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. n

Where are those taxes?
    Romney you have yet to answer to a lot of conflicting claims and issues concerning your professional life as a business man and politician that are very disconcerting. And it behoves me to the point that I am compelled to pose the question as to why half of this country and news media seem to turn a blind eye to getting to the bottom of the old bait and switch game. From congress to the so called journalist, no one seem to be doing their jobs. This country is going to the dogs and we the people are being taken for a car ride on the roof tops of lies locked in a cage.

August 7, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Thomas

The Only Art the GOP knows !

Spin Art .

August 7, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Sniffitt

Successful people are the root of all evil and should be punished for their accomplishments!

((((( Obama 2012 ))))))))

August 7, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Really?

@IF YOU SIGNED.... Hey, at least Romney changed for the better; Obama has always been a traitor . BTW in regard to a woman'sright to choose – how about a babies right to choose. And get off the Romney taxes. Let's have Obama show his college transcripts.

August 7, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. Sniffitt

Successful people need to understand that we are the ones making them successful. They are just riding on our backs. They didn't build anything. We did.

------ Obama 2012 -----------

August 7, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. sCOTT

I like it, makes Obama the joke he is, as a President he has been one of the most corrupt Presidents we had, arming drug lords, giving stimulus money to overseas companies, taxing the middle class with his Obama care. Obama cares nothing about the middle class except how to exploit them for his own gains.

August 7, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Squigman

And this is relevant, how?

August 7, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

"Mankind will never be truly civilized until we can get rid of the need to say, 'What if....'." - Arthur C. Clarke

August 7, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

@ Really?

College transcripts? Really? What's next? You want a hair and urine sample too? Give me a break. How many more conspiracy theories will you morons come up with? I see the true colors of the republican party. A party of bigotry and hate.

August 7, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  15. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

It's a satirical parody. Get a dictionary out for goodness sake!

August 7, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

sniffit wrote:

1) ((((( Obama 2012 ))))))))

2) -- Obama 2012 ---–
    ---------------------
    I'll take a number one, please.

August 7, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Sniffitt

((((( Obama 2012 ))))))))

August 7, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |

You're not the real Sniffit, you moron. You added an extra t. As if we wouldn't notice. Whom do you take us for? FOX NOISE bloggers?

August 7, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@udy NYC
    sniffit wrote:

1) ((((( Obama 2012 ))))))))

2) - Obama 2012 -–
    -------
    I'll take a number one, please.

August 7, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm
    ***************************************************************************************************************************
    It's not the real Sniffit, posting but a GOP/BAGGER troll.

August 7, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. truth hurts

>"But college ended, had to pay my rent," he continued. "At least you're the first gay
    >president. But the change I got was that I moved in with my mother."
    >"Because you won and then you cut me off, now your speeches never soar as high as unemployment."

classic lines.... face youngsters. you were conned by obamas speeches into believing he knew what he was doing. you weren't the only ones. learn from your mistakes. don't double down on failure in 2012. or living in your mom's basement will be the highlight of your life.

August 7, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. Fair is Fair

"I see the true colors of the republican party. A party of bigotry and hate."
    -------
    I want to know what the Obama supporters would say if John Boehner went to the floor of the House of Representatives and said "The word is out that the President flunked out of Occidental College". Would the only way to prove such a thing untrue would be for Obama to pony up the records?

Returns as complex as Romney's are routinely audited... if there was anythng illegal, we would have known by now. If there's nothing illegal, why do you care?

August 7, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Brooke

Is that all you got......go back to the drawing board..... seems to me that it's Unfit Mitt many faces.........

August 7, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. ghostriter

Not so fair, republicans have said much worse. Are you asking for Bachmann to provide proof of her islamaphobic claims? How about we have Allen West tell us who the 78-81 congressmen that are members of the communist party?

August 7, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Larry L

@sCOTT

-----------------------------------------------------
    Try to say something you don't repeat from Fox News lies. Want corruption? How about starting a war with one of the few countries of the region that didn't participate in 9/11? Start that war with false intelligence and then give no-bid contracts to sweetheart companies like Haliburton. Don't even put the cost of the war on the books. Over 4,400 Service members die in that war – plus a couple of hundred thousand civilians. Cut taxes for the wealthy and as revenue shrinks – pass the resulting recession on to the middle class while the fat-cats send their money offshore. Keep subsidizing big oil when they're making 20% profits. Now that's big-time corruption.

August 7, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Donkey Party

Why do you sub-human, ignorant, racist right-wingers so desperately want a draft-dodging tax-cheat in the White House? What do you think Willard Romney is going to do for you? Fools.

August 7, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |