Pawlenty in Michigan for Romney: 'We'll know soon enough' about V.P.
August 8th, 2012

Pawlenty in Michigan for Romney: 'We'll know soon enough' about V.P.

(CNN) – Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who's rumored to be among the top contenders for Mitt Romney's running mate, campaigned for the presumptive GOP nominee in Michigan Wednesday and beat back V.P questions.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The former governor replied that he's been back to Michigan "a fair amount," but "as to the vice presidential thing, we'll know soon enough."

Hank Choate, chair of the Jackson County GOP, asked him what his schedule would be on Friday, as some have speculated Romney's running mate announcement could come as early as the end of the week.

"My schedule Friday is I'll be in New Hampshire," Pawlenty said.

Weighing in further, Pawlenty said Romney has a crop of "unbelievably talented wonderful people" to choose from for his vice presidential nominee.

"You've got this tremendous new governor in Nevada Brian Sandoval. If you haven't heard of him, you will. He's terrific. Susanna Martinez in New Mexico, the first Hispanic Republican woman governor in the history of the country. Bobby Jindal in Louisiana, tremendous reformer, outstanding governor and leader. Marco Rubio, the rising star and senator from Florida," Pawlenty said.

He also listed South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman and House Budget Committee Chair Paul Ryan.

Pawlenty further added a new name to the V.P. speculation, saying Gen. David Petraeus, director of the Central Intelligence Agency, would be a good pick–one day after a spokesman for the CIA shot down reports that Petraeus would consider running for elected office.

The Petraeus suggestion originally came Tuesday from The Drudge Report, which is very popular and influential among conservatives.

"The list goes on and on and on," Pawlenty said. "So as you look to the future of our party and movement it's very, very bright. There's tremendous next generation talent coming up."

– CNN Producer Chris Welch contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 VP Pick • Michigan • Mitt Romney • Tim Pawlenty
  1. Rudy NYC

I think Pawlenty would be the safest pick that he could make. Paul Ryan would be the boldest pick. Neither one of them would be a sensible pick, and that goes for Portman, too. They are all establishment Republicans with far too much baggage, and do not bring anything to the table that will change the way Washington works.

August 8, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

I can't decide who is the lamer of the two. Willard should nominate himself as his running mate. 2004 Mitt will be the ideal for the flip-flopper.

August 8, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't think any VP will help Romney win. They don't add enough fun and policy understanding that Romney lacks. If it were the other way around and Romney were the VP, it wouldn't hurt the ticket much.

August 8, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Susan NO LONGER a REPUBLICAN

I live in Minnesota and Pawlenty was the WORST Gov. ever! We had a huge surplus when he was elected and he left the state with a HUGE deficit. Just like all the repubs do! Wake up people! These two would be the worst thing for America!

August 8, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

"At a Romney campaign office opening in Jackson, a woman in the crowd asked Pawlenty: "Are you going to come back to Michigan when you're vice president?"

Oh, look! A Tim Pawlenty fan!

Guess there's first for everyone ... including our boy Timmy.

August 8, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. cali girl

Who cares. Whoever it is will not have any value. Unless, of course it is someone just like Palin.

August 8, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Logic N LA

Too bad one of the "wonderfully talented canididates" wasn't able to be their nomnee ofr President!

August 8, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. Susan NO LONGER a REPUBLICAN

They look smitten with each other. Oh, ick...

August 8, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. BigTBone

Why doesn't he pick one of the right's national heroes?

Norquist? Rush? Walker? Scott? Ryan? Cantor? Bachmann? Zimmerman? Brevik?

August 8, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Indy

If Romney picks Pawlenty it would be hilarious,and it would keep Romneys going downward.Pawlenty was a disaster in MN and he is much like Mitts, the more you know about him the less you like so they are two of a kind that are not good enough to win the Whitehouse

August 8, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. Al-NY,NY

oh goody.....a spineless milqtoast who can't keep a solid position on anything and a walking tranquilizer that is about as boring as they come. Good luck GOP

August 8, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. kayla

tweedeldee and tweedeldum

August 8, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  13. Wake up people

The sad thing about Michigan is it is mired in racism. People think all racists are in the south, I beg to differ. Remember Willard only said"let Detroit go bankrupt" not Michigan. Oakland county is the largest county in Michigan and they are definite republicans. I bet most of you didn't know there is an actual town in Michigan where some of us can't even visit. And they had the nerve to put an outlet mall there.....As much as I love shopping, I can't even go there.

OBAMA 2012!

August 8, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. n

Romney and Pawlenty look like they are on a date. I'm just saying?

August 8, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. Woman In California

but "as to the vice presidential thing, we'll know soon enough."

Yes, we will, and it won't be you. Two weak people on one ticket would send independents running for the hills.

Now where are those tax returns?

August 8, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Mike

And doesn't Pawlenty look "excited"-the GOP-pers know it themselves that this is the biggest GOOSE CHASE of 2012.

August 8, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Woman In California

I meant it won't be Pawlenty.

August 8, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Joe

BREAKING NEWS! Alexithymic Mitt plans to tell us who the VP will be BEFORE the election, and not AFTER it.

August 8, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Romney=NO plan

I don't care who he picks. Robmey is not going to win with no plan and no tax returns. The republican party is running on empty

August 8, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  20. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Does not matter. Mitt the twit is not the solution. He's the problem. That's why he won't release his tax returns.

August 8, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  21. n

As I go to my window, once again, to see if Mitt released his taxes from years pass . . . looking at my watch as I tap my feet, I breath a sigh of boredom, I realize I kind of like the back and forth fights between the two Obama and Romney and I want more. Wait, I hear a faint voice in the distance saying I am the "Son Of Boss" Running to the kitchen to pop more corn. This is going to leave a mark on Romney's where the sun don't shine.

August 8, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. ltnet356

Show use the imigration forms where Oblamo got his citizenship back. He was registered as Indonesian and Muslem at Occideentel.

August 8, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |