Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) - Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, widely speculated to be a top contender to be Mitt Romney's running mate, said late Friday that he had not received a phone call from the presumptive GOP nominee about Romney's choice as news was breaking that Romney would announce his pick on Saturday.
"I did not get a phone call from him tonight," Pawlenty told CNN, adding that he's keeping his campaign schedule in New Hampshire on Saturday.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
Romney's campaign said late Friday night that Romney would announce his running mate pick Saturday morning at a 9 a.m. ET event in Norfolk, Virginia.
However, Pawlenty said he would not be in attendance.
"Tomorrow I won't be at the announcement. You can deduce from there that since I am keeping my schedule in New Hampshire, I can't also be in Virginia at the same time," said Pawlenty, who ran for the 2012 GOP nomination but dropped out in August of last year.
Romney called several of the Republicans on his vice presidential shortlist on Friday evening to tell them he has selected a running mate and to thank them for assisting with his campaign, a Republican familiar with the calls told CNN. Romney did not indicate on the calls who he had selected as his running mate, according to the source.
Asked if he knew which person Romney chose, Pawlenty said he was aware of the pick but would not disclose the decision.
"I can't say any more," he said.
Pressed further by reporters if he was disappointed, Pawlenty said: "I didn't enter this thinking I was gonna be the VP candidate. So I'm not disappointed and I'm excited about his candidacy and I'm excited about having him be the next president."
– CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby contributed to this report.