Where does Romney stand on the Ryan plan?
August 11th, 2012

Where does Romney stand on the Ryan plan?

(CNN) - As Mitt Romney unveils Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate, questions over the House Budget Committee chairman's budget plan will likely become a hot button debate topic this fall.

Romney announced Ryan as the vice presidential candidate at a campaign event while kicking off a bus tour Saturday morning in Norfolk, Virginia.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

First put forward in 2011, the so-called Ryan Plan is a $3.5 trillion budget that would lower tax rates and cut spending, while reforming the Medicare and Medicaid government-run health care programs for senior citizens, the disabled and the poor.

READ MORE: Democratic attacks on Ryan focus on changes to Medicare and Medicaid

The budget has drawn fierce criticism from the left, particularly President Barack Obama, as Democrats claim the plan is too heavy on entitlement cuts. While the measure passed the Republican controlled House of Representatives in both 2011 and 2012, it failed to pass last year in the Democratic-controlled Senate and has no chance of making its way through the chamber this year.

But what has Romney said about the proposed GOP budget?

The presumptive GOP nominee has stood by the popular Republican plan but does not mention it as a frequent talking point. In the past, he has described the plan as "bold and exciting" and applauds it as an "excellent piece of work," one that he compares to his own economic proposals.

While appearing with the Wisconsin congressman at a Milwaukee campaign event in April, Romney said Ryan's plans on the tax code "are very similar to my own." And when the House passed the plan in March, Romney released a statement calling the bill "progress."

"Owing in no small part to the leadership of Paul Ryan, (the House) has put conservative fiscal principles into action and passed a bold budget that directly addresses the drivers of our nation's spending crisis," the statement read. "The House budget and my own plan share the same path forward: pro-growth tax cuts, getting federal spending under control and strengthening entitlement programs for future generations."

READ MORE: Romney camp prepares Medicare defense after Ryan pick

Also in March, the candidate said in a tele-town hall with Wisconsin voters that he thinks the legislation should become law.

"I think it'd be marvelous if the Senate were to pick up Paul Ryan's budget and to adopt it and pass it along to the president," Romney said.

In early April, President Barack Obama mocked Romney for using the word "marvelous."

"He said that he's very supportive of this new budget and he even called it marvelous, which is a word you don't often hear when it comes to describing a budget," Obama said.

Romney also brought up the budget at a GOP presidential debate shortly before the South Carolina primary in January, which he lost to opponent Newt Gingrich.

Romney said he would lay out a Medicare-like program that "allows people to buy either current standard Medicare or a private plan."

"And this is the proposal which Congressman Paul Ryan has adopted," Romney said, according to a transcript of the debate. "It's a proposal which I believe is absolutely right on."

In terms of the election, a CNN/ORC International poll released last month indicated that 39% of Americans view Medicare and Social Security as an "extremely important" issue, with more respondents saying the economy, health care, education, terrorism and the deficit rank higher on a list of issues.

A majority of Americans–57%–said in May that they oppose a Republican plan to change Medicare (similar to that of Ryan), while 34% said that are in favor of such a plan, according to a separate CNN/ORC International survey.

Last November, a majority of Americans–51%–said they opposed major changes in the two entitlement programs, while 41% are in favor of changes.

– CNN's Gregory Wallace and Tom Cohen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Debt • Deficit • Paul Ryan
  1. ROFLMAO

Merry Christmas President Obama. Sorry they started a month late. Christmas in August. See you at your 2nd Inguration in January 2013. Dress warm :-)

August 11, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. Leonard Axelrod

By picking a darling of the Teaparty Romney just gave the election to Obama. Ryan's plan on the economy will turn off most seniors and probably any one who benifits from the new health care laws

August 11, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. Ron Stoessell

Paul Ryan's plan will reduce Medicare and Social security benefits and strongly reduce Medicaid for future generations of Americans. The interesting thing about this plan is that lower income people, who really need these programs, will vote overwhelmingly Republican and then suffer the loss of their own medical and retirements. They do this because they so hate Obama, the first black president, that their personal loss is less important than removing him.

August 11, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. ROFLMAO

Merry Christmas President Obama. Sorry they started a month late. Christmas in August. See you at your 2nd Inauguration in January 2013. Dress warm :-)

August 11, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. mcrusa

The GOP has officially sold it's soul to the Tea Party & the Koch brothers.

August 11, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. pat carr

dumb pick mittens. isn't this the same ryan that wanted to cut everything.....and increase the defense budget? maybe when we're all broke we can eat bullets

August 11, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. JM

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

August 11, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Killdeer

Ya just lost the independant vote Mittens. I wouldn't vote fro Ryan for dog catcher...just tooo radical

August 11, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  9. bcrunner

Apparently he made his decision the day after he came back from his disastrous trip. He realized how bad he did, that the Bain and tax return issues will not go away and figured he had to change the conversation. Well... he started a huge conversation now... Let's see how he defends turning Medicare into a voucher system and have seniors pay a whole lot more for their medicare. Also, both want to cut taxes and government by huge numbers... which by the way increases the deficits for many years before they come down again... Are you kidding me??

August 11, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Tea Partier

Let the new american revolution begin.

August 11, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. Tea Partier

The tea party rules.

August 11, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. JM

Sandra will be backing the ticket to crush Americans.

August 11, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. JennyTX

Mitt Robme has just confirmed he's not interested in the middle class vote. Or the Catholic vote. A group of Catholic bishops scolded Paul Ryan, a Catholic, for his budget, saying it hurts the sick and the poor.

August 11, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |