Emotional homecoming for Ryan
August 12th, 2012

Emotional homecoming for Ryan

Waukesha, Wisconsin (CNN) – The Republican presidential ticket capped off a whirlwind swing-state tour with an emotional outdoor rally Sunday night in Wisconsin.

Supporters in Rep. Paul Ryan's home state gave their native son a hero's welcome, prompting the vice presidential candidate to wipe away tears and let loose a stream of local references that delighted his audience.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"My veins run with cheese, bratwurst, and a little Spotted Cow, Leiney's and some Millers," he proclaimed, listing off Wisconsin-made beers to audience laughter.

Standing alongside Romney, who has been criticized for lacking a common-man approach, Ryan continued: "I was raised on the Packers, Badgers, Bucks and Brewers. I like to hunt here, I like to fish here, I like to snowmobile here. I even think ice fishing is - interesting."

The campaign said multiple thousands of people attended the outdoor event, where sophisticated camera equipment suggested the two men's appearance could make its way into a future commercial.

Romney - who said he and his wife Ann also choked up to see the support for Ryan - seemed to feed off the energy of the audience.

When a protester disrupted the event, Romney thundered back in response.

"You see young man, this group here is respectful of other people's right to be heard," Romney said as the audience chanted "U.S.A." in his support. "And you ought to find yourself a different place to be disruptive, because here we believe in listening to people with dignity and respect."

Romney continued his escalating attacks against President Barack Obama's re-election effort.

"There's no question if you follow the campaign of Barack Obama, he's going to do everything in his power to make this the lowest, meanest, negative campaign in history," Romney said. "We're not going to let that happen. This is going to be a campaign about ideas, the future of America. This is a campaign about greatness, about America's future for your children, for the world."

"Mr. President, take your campaign out of the gutter and talk about the real issues that America faces," Romney declared.

After the event, Ryan and Romney were slated to campaign separately. Ryan will visit the Iowa State Fair Monday while Romney will continue his bus tour in Florida.

In a conversation on their campaign bus before the rally, Romney and Ryan appeared to feel the first pangs of separation anxiety.

"Do we ever get a chance to campaign together or is that like, we've now experienced that...?" Romney asked.

Ryan responded laughingly: "Does that ever happen again?"

"Do I get to see him until the inauguration?" Romney chuckled in return.

CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Mitt Romney • Paul Ryan • Wisconsin
  1. Thomas

Paul Ryan and John Boehner , pass me a handkerchief !

August 12, 2012 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  2. BadgerFan21

WAUKESHA?? Ryan is from Janesville. Oh wait, there's high unemployment there and he doesn't really represent them anymore. At least not the ones making under $500K a year

August 13, 2012 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  3. SafeJourney

The majority of the good people of Wisconsin will fight you all the way Ryan. After what Walker did to Wisconsin and you backing him is all Wisconsin needs to fight you

August 13, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  4. Anonymous

lol, this is funny at the end!

August 13, 2012 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  5. Razorking

They look pretty gay to me (as in happy)

August 13, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  6. AmericanWaxwing

YES YES YES. I'm saying YES to the Romney Ryan ticket. These guys have a lot to offer America. It's time we take a deep breath and be honest with the situation in our country. We need new leadership. Let's not be afraid to say YES to new, smart leadership!

August 13, 2012 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  7. Carolyn

Romney and Ryan have my support! What a wonderful thought.....keep the key topics in the election....and get rid of the dirty politics! God Bless America!

August 13, 2012 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  8. sigmond seamonster

Look! The photo op suggests that they have both "just finished" doing some kind of manual labor because their sleeves are rolled up. Just regular guys like you and me! Obama and Biden roll their sleeves up for photo ops to show they "piddle around the house" too! Boy, just two "regular old simple folk" just like you and me. Workin' hard, just basic good ol' guys like my neighbors and me.

August 13, 2012 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  9. Doug

I considered voting Romney, but once I see how he played the loop holes and let the rest of the country pay taxes is not my idea of a man I want to run my country.. Mitt, you can play it like you're this good Morman, but we all know better.. I'm voting for Obama..

August 13, 2012 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  10. Dolly

He can stay in Wisconsin.

August 13, 2012 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  11. ErnestoL

Politicians are pathetic–all of them.

August 13, 2012 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  12. sbssue1

Romney's response to the intruder was absolutely brilliant. Romney has what it takes to be a man and a President. Ryan was an excellent choice. Good Job! Obama's negative ads are just exactly how he's running our country. He's just trying to divide us all apart for the good of only himself.

August 13, 2012 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  13. Marie MD

They still can't bring a big crowd together can they?
    According to the newspapers yesterday a lot of folks in the browman's district really don't like him. One older fellow went as far as to say that he likes him but he wouldn't vote for either of them.
    It's funny (not really ha, ha, funny) that the vp nominee had to show the twit bully bishop his taxes but he won't do the same for the country. WHAT IS THE BISHOP HIDING IN HIS TAXES??????? Why the vp nominee but not him!!!

August 13, 2012 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  14. CanadaONE

Could you imagine ?

These two guys running YOUR COUNTRY – SCARY!!!!!

August 13, 2012 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  15. FedUp

Obama has no issues to talk about – that he can back up with successes.

August 13, 2012 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  16. trex

The Ryan plan REPLACES THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COMMITMENT TO ITS CITIZENS.......with a VOUCHER to cover a PRIVATE COMPANY PLAN.....and that VOUCHER WONT PAY FOR THE COST OF THE INSURANCE............would you invest in a company that specializes in HEALTH INSURANCE FOR 85 YEAR OLDS?...........and makes NO PROFIT?.....................of course not

August 13, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  17. trex

These two guys are LAUGHING....................and the JOKE is on US seniors and near seniors. These two "clubmen" want to require Grandma to eat up to TWO MEALS A DAY, so that we can get a couple brand new aircraft carriers.......and keep Haliburton, Martin Marietta, and GE FEEDING ON OUR TAXES .....while paying ZERO TAXES THEMSELVES................great SCAM, ISNT IT.............

August 13, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  18. mgc

This is really misleading. As a wisconsite let me tell you paul ryan does not have the backing of most of the state, he is seem as extremist in his policies. His area is janesville, a mostly rural area that is democratic leaning. He was liked in this area as a nice guy until he put forth his budget plan. Then his town halls turned hostile. Don't let this reporter fool you, he is not wisconsin's favorite son. This crowd?? mostly friends, family and romney imports.

August 13, 2012 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  19. Fair is Fair

"They still can't bring a big crowd together can they?"
    -----–
    According to reports, the latest Oblamer fundraiser couldn't sell 1000 seats at $51 a pop. The shine has tarnished a tad.

August 13, 2012 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  20. dd

August 13, 2012 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  21. DIANA

I don't know why but that picture gives me the creeps. Ryan crying crocidile tears and what exactly is Romney laughing at? Is it becasue they were able to get these idiots to show up and vote for them?

August 13, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. sbssue1

Folks today already have voucher Medicare; I don't know what you all are upset about. We need more educated people running this country for the good of all, not just those standing in line for a handout. Vouchers are already paying the premiums for many in the current times. If you don't know what you are talking about, be quiet and listen, you may learn something.

August 13, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. Michael

I AM CRYING TOO! I AM CRYING FOR AMERICA! Repuglican spin machine wants us to forget how they left this country, and makeit a non-issue, like the, evaporation of 1/2 trillion surplus, -8.9 GDP, 11 trillion national debt, 1.3 trillion deficit, 2.8 trillion in tax cuts (unpaid for)2 Wars (unpaid for), Medicare prescription plan (unpaid for), 3 trillion borrowed from China, a Wall Street, Banking, Auto, Mortgage crisis’s, losing over 800,000 jobs monthly and a economy on the brink of depression when President Obama took office! Repuglican spin is that this economy belongs to Obama! Well, when this country is out the economic pitfall started under George Bush, I will agree!

August 13, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  24. GI Joe

Vulcher/Voucher on steroids.

August 13, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  25. Expat American

Ryan to Romney:
    “I need to borrow one of the onions that you keep in your pants to pretend like you have a pair so that I can make myself cry….”

August 13, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |