Palin will not speak at GOP convention
August 12th, 2012

Palin will not speak at GOP convention

(CNN) - Sarah Palin will not speak at the 2012 Republican National Convention, the party's 2008 vice presidential nominee said in a statement Sunday.

"This year is a good opportunity for other voices to speak at the convention and I'm excited to hear them," Palin wrote. "As I've repeatedly said, I support Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan in their efforts to replace President Obama at the ballot box, and I intend to focus on grassroots efforts to rally Independents and the GOP base to elect Senate and House members so a wise Congress is ready to work with our new President to get our country back on the right path."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

In her statement, Palin did not say whether or not she would attend the convention, which is to take place in Tampa at the end of this month.

Palin spoke at the 2008 convention as the vice presidential nominee, and charged in her Sunday statement that her "predictions made about the very unqualified and inexperienced community organizer's plans to 'fundamentally transform' our country are unfortunately coming true."

READ MORE: Palin makes brief mention of Ryan, Romney in V.P. statement

Mitt Romney's campaign and the Republican National Convention have unveiled a partial list of the convention's primetime speakers and have promised to release more, as some major names - including Palin's - have been absent.

The announcement comes the day after Romney announced House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan as his running mate.

– CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby contributed to this report

1. Just Me

I would not miss her. Good riddance.

August 12, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Jack Ieo

She's not speaking, all I can say is Yeeaaahhhh!!!!

August 12, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. Hillcrester

Of course, a party's previous VP nominee would never speak at the next convention, would (s)he?

No wonder the GOP hopes we forget there ever was a Sarah Palin.

August 12, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Kris

My gawd, what could this woman possibly say with meaning or intellect? After 4 years of dishing out canned one-liners, like "drill now", "I can see Russia from here", and "the oil spill is good for the gulf" it seems the only one biting is Faux News.

Every time this woman speaks, I literally shudder to think she was inches form holding the office of Vice President.

August 12, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. Kris

When will Sarah finally realize the real reason cameras follow her around is that 99% of Americans are drooling to hear the next stupid thing she may utter.

August 12, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  6. thewhimsicalmuse

How gracious her considering she wasn't asked.

August 12, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  7. Earl Genter

In other words...she wasn't invited ...

August 12, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  8. thewhimsicalmuse

That's so very gracious of her considering she wasn't asked to speak.

August 12, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  9. Bob

This is the first wise decision Palin has ever made, although I doubt it was by choice.

August 12, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  10. Senility Club

What a pitty. I guess I will have to rely on Comedy Central for my kicks during the GOP convention. Oh, sorry. No I won't. There will still be plenty of other comedians and clowns speaking at the GOP convention. What a hoot!

August 12, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. SurRy

Hmmm, wonder who got to her and what she was promised? Seems to be toeing the GOP line now and not getting all maverickey...

August 12, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  12. RayJacksonMS

In other words, even the GOP knows this harpies 15 minutes are up.

August 12, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  13. Paladin Knight

Shucks, I was soooooo looking forward to that comic relief!!!

August 12, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  14. Clear and Present Thinker

Thanks for the heads-up, CNN. Now, without Palin cluttering the landscape, I might watch the GOP wacko rodeo just for the entertainment.

August 12, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  15. Earthling

This article would be so much better if the story was just "Sarah Palin will not speak."

August 12, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. movinman

THis news ruins my night, I on't know how I can go on. I'll just have to live with 24/7 CNN coverage of Paul Ryan and his dreamy blue eyes.

August 12, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  17. drake mallard

Sarah Palin is an American embarrassment. she is a joke, a laughing stock. It's entertaining. Sarah Palin is mean spirited and completely phony, a quitter,

I wish people would stop calling her Governor. She only served a half term at best before she quit. Seems like she gave up that right. As I recall, she said she quit because she could not do her job with all the law suits that were being filed against her. she bankrupted the town and didn't have a thing to show for it and was mired in scandal

August 12, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  18. lewtwo

That is unfortunate .... Palin could have had the chance to alienate even more voters.

August 12, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  19. bassman

How sad is it that this good and honest public servant will not be speaking. Our media trashed her, her family, her marriage, her record, and even her special needs boy. Why? Because our media was in the tank for Obama.

August 12, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  20. Galaxy Prime

"Palin will not speak at GOP convention" – No surprise here, you don't toss an anchor to a drowning man.

August 12, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  21. Steps Forward

This women was an insult to the concept that a Vice President was actually a President in waiting – picked by a 70 year old man. The sooner she goes away the better....

"i understand foreign policy, I can wake up and look at a foreign country every day.."

What a dolt.

August 12, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  22. Gregg

Thank God. McCain had my vote in 2008 until he picked Palin. Palin should not have a voice in any important political event.

August 12, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  23. us_1776

Wow, that's pretty much a non-endorsement by Palin.

August 12, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. disgustedvet

Beautiful Lady. So NOT LIBERAL.

August 12, 2012 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  25. JesterJames

Thank God for small favors....

August 12, 2012 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |