First on CNN: Atheist group targets presidential candidates' faith with billboards
August 13th, 2012

Washington (CNN) – A prominent atheist group is using this month's Democratic National Convention to take aim at the presidential candidates' religion, planning to put up billboards targeting Mormonism and Christianity in Charlotte, North Carolina during the week of the convention there.

“Our political system is rife with religion and it depends too much on religion and not enough on substance," said David Silverman, the president of American Atheists, which is sponsoring the ads.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Belief Blog • Mitt Romney • North Carolina • President Obama
  1. Thomas

Paul Ryan used insider trading:

"Ryan attended a closed meeting with congressional leaders, Bush's Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on September 18, 2008. The purpose of the meeting was to disclose the coming economic meltdown and beg Congress to pass legislation to help collapsing banks.

Instead of doing anything to help, Ryan left the meeting and on that very same day Paul Ryan sold shares of stock he owned in several troubled banks and reinvested the proceeds in Goldman Sachs, a bank that the meeting had disclosed was not in trouble."

August 13, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Seattle

I'm sure even some atheists would find these "facts" laughable. How desperate are they?

P.S., there is no 30,000 versions of the truth. There is one, and it was the original, with different religions coming after. I'm sure a 4th grader could tell them that.

August 13, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

Religion has no place in politics. If I want to live in a theocracy, I'd move to Iran or I would have voted for Ayatollah Santorum.

August 13, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Sniffit

I'm not exactly a religious fellow, and I certainly agree with some of the underlying sentiment about the idea that institutionalized religion (something far different than actual faith and spirituality) has been misused as a tool for manipulating the masses and an excuse for atrocities un-numbered throughout history, but there's a better way for this group to be making its points.

August 13, 2012 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. aster

"Promotes "hate", calls it "love""? Way to misrepresent a religious doctrine. Whatever this atheist group is, they certainly don't speak for all atheists. I don't believe in God and don't adhere to any religion and in general think that such beliefs are nonsense but I would never stoop so low as to claim that Christianity (as a philosophy) promotes "hate". You never win any arguments by distortion, and I hope "atheists" who put up these ads, realize it soon.

And by the way: no guts to put up one ridiculing Islam? Oh yea, only Christianity "promotes hate".

August 13, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  6. DB

When things go bad, people blame themselves or feel being 'tested', when things go great, they thank god. God always gets brownie points.

August 13, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. Sandy

Wow. I've never seen anything like this before. I'm not sure I like their tactics to try to get people to join them. I agree with their sentiment though. Religion can be evil.

August 13, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Workers Unite !

atheists are now nothing more than another pseudo religion. Another group wanting to make a quick buck off of you.

August 13, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. DR

They haven't even ask the question about Mitt and the temple ritual he went through and the blood oath! Look it up, the words have changed, but the ceremony is the same. It makes the Rev. Wright story an absolute joke! The blood oath is an oath against the government by the Mormons for the spilled blood of the prophet Joseph Smith!

August 13, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. PaMom

How rediculous. Where is tolerance and the founding principles this country was founded on? Why must the average person have another individuals opinion pushed in our face? Political correctness is killing a moral society. Do people not understand socialism removes religion from the masses and gains control. I may not be a religious person but I do object to being forced to read and listen to their rhetoric!

August 13, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Marie MD

Our founding fathers have to be rolling in their graves!!!
    Separation of church and state.
    I won't make comments on religion as they are all cults.

August 13, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Fair is Fair

Why was there nothing about Islam? Oh that's right... it's "protected".

August 13, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |