Chelsea Clinton considers politics
August 14th, 2012

Chelsea Clinton considers politics

(CNN) - Despite her famed political lineage, Chelsea Clinton has adamantly refused stepping into the political arena. Now, however, Clinton's answer on her political ambitions is less definitive.

Asked if she would consider jumping into politics, Clinton - daughter of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton - is now saying, "I don't know."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Before my mom's campaign I would have said no. Not because it was something I had thought a lot about but because people have been asking me that my whole life," Clinton, speaking of her mother's unsuccessful 2008 presidential bid, said in an interview for the September issue of Vogue.

"And now I don't know. . . . I mean, I have voted in every election that I have been qualified to vote in since I turned eighteen," Clinton continued.

In the interview, Clinton talked about her relationship with her famed parents and unique up-bringing, noting how sometimes afterschool conversations focused on a budget fight and occasionally being pulled out of class for signings of international peace treaties.

"If there were to be a point where it was something I felt called to do and I didn't think there was someone who was sufficiently committed to building a healthier, more just, more equitable, more productive world? Then that would be a question I'd have to ask and answer," said Clinton, who is also a contributor for NBC News.

Clinton, who spent her teenage years in the White House, said of her celebrity status and previous reluctance to enter into the public eye, "Historically I deliberately tried to lead a private life in the public eye," she continued, "And now I am trying to lead a purposefully public life."

Clinton will moderate political panels at both party conventions in Charlotte and Tampa.

Her father is slated to enter President Obama into nomination at the Democratic National Convention in September, a high-profile speaking slot for the popular former president.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Politics
  1. ttt

She better jumps in now and stub for Obama/Biden

August 14, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  2. Darryl

I sure hope she will continue the Legasey of her parents. She has the ability to speak and presents herself extremely well. My guess is she will make a decission in 2016.

August 14, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Enough is Enough

What do you get when you cross a crooked lawyer and a sleazy politician Chelsea.

August 14, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. cali girl

This would be the Gen X to talk about.

August 14, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. Sammy

America is NOT calling you, Chelsea.

August 14, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. truth hurts

August 14, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. CEDDY

Hey enough is enough, Bite me.. You know that's not right.

August 14, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. MaryM

Chelsea., That would be great. Learn all you can

August 14, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. Sniffit

Oh look, more insipid gossip noise from an MSM outlet that can't help fawning over the "correct" familial connections. Nothing says "journalism" like "we drool over the name recognition a good old fashioned dynasty provides."

August 14, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"seriously democrats... you have got to be kidding!"

This is nobody's fault but the media's, pal.

August 14, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. SOUTHERN TWOTTEE

I'm sure she'lll make a very nice Whitehouse intern. Her family background qualifies her for that.

August 14, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Chelsea is a grown "WOMAN" and she can do whatever she wants and she should just to stop the war on women waged by the Republicans.

August 14, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. jstrue2u

Right now she is a bit young but give her time she could one day become the first woman president of the United states~you never know

August 14, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. v_mag

truth hurts said: "and her qualifications for office are???? her last name???? seriously democrats... you have got to be kidding! has she done ANYTHING that her mommy and daddy haven't greased the wheels for? let's hear all those accomplishments.... hahaha"
    Change she to he, her to his, and Democrat to Republican, and we're talking about George W.

August 14, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. A not-so-stupid former republican

There are sure a lot of retarded republican "christian" haters here! What do you get when you cross a republican with anything? Creeping Crud!!!

August 14, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Anonymous

People are just down right rotten on here. People put in the claws!

August 14, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. No more Clintons

Chelsea, Don't do it. Look what happened to Caroline Kennedy.

August 14, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. Norma Torres

She does look like her mom. These days, that's enough to get you in.

August 14, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. Peggy

The only surprise about Chelsea Clinton entering politics would be if she annonced she is a republican. Could you image that?

August 14, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. jon

If I was her, well anyone in the CLinton family I'd stay hidden out of shame. Bill Clinton didn't do crap after the first WTC bombing. First was carried out by the same guy that done the second and final. I'd say she learned to be as much of a coward as her old man. 3k lives hangs on her daddies head and no one cares.

August 14, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. lorie

She should run for office. She is a very well-educated young lady and would have a great career in politics.

August 14, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Four and The Door

There's plenty of time to think about it. Following the election in November I think Obama will have sunk the Democrats in the national political scene for at least 8 years, maybe 16.

August 14, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. wv gary

start small ....say a state leg seat...pay your dues.....your chance will come

August 14, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. Republicans - "The Not Intended to Be Factually Accurate" Party

Bad idea, kid. Even your mom entering the fray was a stretch [as the wife of a former President] but she pulled it off.

You haven`t paid your dues and won`t be respected. You might be a smart kid but there are hundreds of thousands just like you that are better suited and more qualified.

And this is from a Democrat.

August 14, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. California Gary

If she has her mother's brains and her father's political instincts, she could certainly develop into a fomidable candidate for office. Hopefully, she'll get some seasoning in a local venue before attempting to run for a major political office. It would be a mistake to try and jump too high too soon. And as for you, truth hurts, were you one of those that embraced the nomination of Palin for VP in 2008? If so, don't talk to me about "qualifications"......

August 14, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |