Chelsea Clinton considers politics
August 14th, 2012

Chelsea Clinton considers politics

(CNN) - Despite her famed political lineage, Chelsea Clinton has adamantly refused stepping into the political arena. Now, however, Clinton's answer on her political ambitions is less definitive.

Asked if she would consider jumping into politics, Clinton - daughter of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton - is now saying, "I don't know."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Before my mom's campaign I would have said no. Not because it was something I had thought a lot about but because people have been asking me that my whole life," Clinton, speaking of her mother's unsuccessful 2008 presidential bid, said in an interview for the September issue of Vogue.

"And now I don't know. . . . I mean, I have voted in every election that I have been qualified to vote in since I turned eighteen," Clinton continued.

In the interview, Clinton talked about her relationship with her famed parents and unique up-bringing, noting how sometimes afterschool conversations focused on a budget fight and occasionally being pulled out of class for signings of international peace treaties.

"If there were to be a point where it was something I felt called to do and I didn't think there was someone who was sufficiently committed to building a healthier, more just, more equitable, more productive world? Then that would be a question I'd have to ask and answer," said Clinton, who is also a contributor for NBC News.

Clinton, who spent her teenage years in the White House, said of her celebrity status and previous reluctance to enter into the public eye, "Historically I deliberately tried to lead a private life in the public eye," she continued, "And now I am trying to lead a purposefully public life."

Clinton will moderate political panels at both party conventions in Charlotte and Tampa.

Her father is slated to enter President Obama into nomination at the Democratic National Convention in September, a high-profile speaking slot for the popular former president.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Politics
  1. Workers Unite !

After Mommy and Daddy explain to here how to bilk the system for millions of dollars she will certainly reconsider.

August 14, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. The REAL Truth...

@truth hurts – and what exactly are Mitt the Twit's and Ryan's qualifications ? WEALTH??
    After 10 yrs in Congress, Ryan voted FOR the GM bailout, AGAINST the Bowles-Simpson deficit-reduction act, FOR the deregulation of Banking (which caused the TARP bailout), and his TWO major accomplishments:
    1. renamed a post office in his own district;
    2. passed in December 2008, lowered the excise tax on arrow shafts;

Romneys own words have been his own enemy throughout this entire circus of a GOP campaign.

"I was not responsible for what happened at Bain Capital after I left" – Mitt Romney
    "I was the sole shareholder, sole Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer and President of Bain until I resigned retroactively [huh?] in 2001" – Mitt Romney

"The Arizona immigration policy is a good model" – Mitt Romney
    "I didn't really support the Arizona immigration policy" – Mitt Romney

“The Massachusetts healthcare plan should be a model for the nation” – Mitt Romney
    “Healthcare reform should be left to the states” – Mitt Romney

"Let Detroit go bankrupt" -Mitt Romney
    "I'll take a lot of credit for saving the auto industry" -Mitt Romney

“I believe Roe v Wade has gone too far.” – Mitt Romney
    “Roe v Wade has been the law for 20 years ... we should sustain and support it.” – Mitt Romney

“I respect and will protect a woman’s right to choose.” – Mitt Romney
    “I never really called myself pro-choice.” – Mitt Romney

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.” – Mitt Romney
    “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and represent our country there.” – Mitt Romney

“I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.” – Mitt Romney
    “Ronald Reagan is … my hero.” – Mitt Romney

“I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.” – Mitt Romney
    "There’s no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.” – Mitt Romney

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” – Mitt Romney
    “I did not see it with my own eyes.” – Mitt Romney

“I would like to have campaign spending limits.” – Mitt Romney
    “The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates without burdensome limitations.” – Mitt Romney

“I supported the assault weapon ban.” – Mitt Romney
    "I don’t support any gun control legislation.” – Mitt Romney

August 14, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Sniffit

Let's all check the care-o-meter, shall we?

Uh oh, looks liek the public really couldn't give an everloving crap about the MSM trying to prop up another person based solely on whose uglies bumped in order to create them.

August 14, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Larry L

@Sammy

America is NOT calling you, Chelsea.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Wrong! She would be a great public servant just like her folks. By the way... I haven't seen "W" mentioned for the Republican Convention... wonder why?

August 14, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Bob Mills

She be lookin' good!

August 14, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. billy houlihan

Chelsea: If you are are 20% as effective as your mother, throw in your hat. She is a wunderkind, and I am certain you will be the same. You have one big supporter here in California.

August 14, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Foolmeonce

August 14, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. The REAL Truth...

@Foolmeonce – Everybody in office was a nobody before they ran for office.
    ----------------------------
    And some still ARE!

August 14, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. BlkPwr817

SHe's already better than Romney, Ryan & Palin...lol

August 14, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. Observer

I think she will make a very smart politician. Chelsea has a smart head on her shoulders. You go girl!

August 14, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  11. Four and The Door

billy houlihan
    Very few politicians strike me as being less effective for the nation than Barack Obama, but Hillary Clinton is in that special group. The nation really needs her to retire and go home. She has zero qualifications for Secretary of State and she goes out of her way to make that obvious at every opportunity. What was he thinking?

August 14, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. Woman In California

You can count on one less vote from me.
    Thank you.

August 14, 2012 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. Peggy Munro

Chelsea would be both an effective politician and an outstanding parent. She got both from her parents. They may not be perfect but they have always demonstrated love and devotion where she is concerned. You go girl!

August 14, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"Truth hurts – She's young and has to start somewhere. Everybody in office was a nobody before they ran for office."

That's the point though. The MSM is trying to pretend that she's not a nobody because she has a certain last name and fell out of a certain set of loins. And yet, she IS a nobody. She deserves no special treatment...which is what an article like this one is...solely based on her parentage...which is precisely the reason this article exists.

August 14, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Jasmine in Germany

Give it up, Chelsea. Become a real person and do real things on your own. And stop with the superficiial cosmetic improvements. Just be yourself and move on with your own life. Love, Jasmine in Germany

August 14, 2012 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. Slightly Left of Center

All the haters saying Chelsea is just a nobody with a famous name would be the first to embrace an uneducated dolt like Bristol Palin for political office.

August 14, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  17. not me

She's more qualified than Caribou Barbie.

August 14, 2012 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  18. T'sah From Virginia

Oh, oh Chelsea – When you say, "I don't know," it means you do know. Your mom is saying the same thing about 2016 – Hmm, could it be you do know you will be campaigning for your mom in 2016????

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward – Clinton/Warren 2016 – The Only Trusted Way to go even Further!!!

August 14, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. James Huffer

This woman has seen the worst of the beltway and is well qualified to represent real American people with real change for the working class stiffs that carry this country and the poor little rich kids on their backs. Sarah Palin she isn't, thank God!

August 14, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. anthony76

If she starts now.. Republicans should start trembling in their boots.

August 14, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Jerry

Young Lady, really, really good luck. However, your father's/mother's idiocies may have ruined it for you (or at least made IT extremely difficult). If you don't "Bend Forward" (like your father/mother), as a life-long "disenchanted Democrat, I would probably consider supporting you.

Either way, best of luck.

August 14, 2012 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  22. El Tejano

Good for you, I hope you do and you alreay got the latino vote.

August 14, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. TotalMahem

It's rather disappointing news, to be sure. America had hoped that THIS Clinton-Rodham would have chosen the path of an honest day's work, not that of a politician or lobbyist. Alas, the acorn falls not far from the oak tree.

August 14, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  24. Peter Griffin

How come rich people never know when to leave the seen and just enjoy their money

August 14, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. FedUp

Oh wow! That will make 3 politicians in one family. I'm so sorry the Clintons did not raise their daughter better. It really is a shame that such a nice young lady would even think of going into politicis. Guess Mommy and Daddy need their names in the spotlight a little longer.

August 14, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |