Conservative group launches new ad with former Obama supporters
August 14th, 2012

Conservative group launches new ad with former Obama supporters

(CNN) – A major conservative, nonprofit group on Tuesday released a new television ad, featuring voters who backed President Barack Obama in 2008 but have since changed their minds.

Americans for Prosperity, partially funded by industrialists David and Charles Koch, will shell out $7 million for the one-minute spot titled, "Has President Obama Earned Your Vote?"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

In the commercial, voters express regret over casting their ballots for Obama four years ago.

"I had hoped that the new president would bring new jobs–not major layoffs, not people going through major foreclosures on their homes," one woman says in the ad.

Another voter adds: "He said he was going to cut the deficit in his first term. I've seen zero interest in reducing spending. He inherited a bad situation, but he made it worse."

Piling on, a third voter says: "I still believe in hope and change. I just don't think Obama is the way to go for that."

The group says the ad will run beginning Wednesday on broadcast and cable in 11 battleground states: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

The new ad comes one week after Americans for Prosperity, which has already spent tens of millions on ads critical of Obama, launched another commercial blaming the president for the rising debt. At the time, the group told CNN it would spend up to $27 million total to run spots on TV, as well as social and new media, over the coming weeks.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • President Obama
  1. Sniffit

Did I not tell you yesterday that this was their "new" (not so new, but you know what I mean) angle of attack? People who believe in the freedom of choice, that the middle-class needs a leg up, that the wealthy should pay their fair share, that corporations are not really people, THAT RECOGNIZED AND WERE ANGRY ABOUT THE GOP/BUSH POLICIES THAT PUT US IN THIS MESS BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE....those people are not suddenly going to change their minds and suddenly decide that repeating the GOP/Bush policies with Mittens will magically fix everything instead of breaking it this time.

These people are paid actors whose votes from 2008 cannot and will never be verified as proof of their "change" of heart...and none of them can prove that they've actually done this strange, sudden and complete and utter about-face in every one of their core beliefs that they claim, which is what it would represent for someone to have voted for Obama in 2008 and suddenly be supporting Mittens in 2012. This ad is designed solely to sow disaffection and disillusionment among Dems and liberal voters and thereby suppress Dem votes. It's the Limbaugh PUMA thing all over again....like that was believable either...yeah, strong woman supporting a strong woman suddenly voting for candidates who want to take away reproductive freedom? Please. This is all staged nonsense designed to create a skewed and false perception.

August 14, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. Dems Need to Grow a Pair

No....time to move on without him.

August 14, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. T'sah From Virginia

►Conservative group launches new ad with former Obama supporters
    If the voters are BLACK it's the same ones Romney imported to NAACP meeting as distorter
    Or maybe it's Rush Limbaugh's conservatives who he told to "crossover" and vote for Obama
    We're not stupid and most Americans remember; especially where there are LIES and a lot of flip-flop drama

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward

August 14, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. Donkey Party

Paid GOP liars, all part of the Romney circus. Next act please.

August 14, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. s.positive

TOO staged, Next...

August 14, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  6. Bugl3t

KOCH brothers: $7M on this ad buy. Ryan: voted for 5.1 TRILLION

August 14, 2012 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. rs

We'll probably find out these folks are actors, just like one of the earlier Republican gutter ads.

August 14, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  8. Bugl3t

Ryan: voted for 5.1 TRILLION that the BUSH administration wanted. That's Trillion with a T, folks. Are Americans so stupid that they believe this guy is a FISCAL CONSERVATIVE? Fiscal Conservative = someone who thinks you don't deserve anything for YOUR tax dollars unless the Greed Over People party approves of it.... oh, wait... I forgot! If Dems decide to support GOP ideas then they don't like those, either, even if it was their own idea in the first place.

No wonder the American public detests Congress. And lest we forget, Ryan is the budget LEADER in the House of Representatives. What's their favorable rating these days? 13%, 14%??

August 14, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Hap

Translation: If you'll just give up hope and let us finish the job we'll drop some crumbs on you. You just need to give up, give in, you can't win we control everything. Their plan is a quick fix shell game that we'll end up paying for down the road, easy come easy go. Vote the kochbaggers out!

August 14, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. AL in West Palm Beach, FL

Hey Koch,
    I supported the OBAMA in 2008 after watching what 8 years of tax cuts for your kind brought us.
    I supported OBAMA in 2008 after watching what 8 years of deregulating walls treet caused.
    I supported OBAMA in 2008 after watching what 8 years of tax breaks for outsourcing AMERICAN jobs brought us.
    I supported OBAMA in 2008 after seeing what the REPUBLICANS idea of free market meant for the WORKING-CLASS

sorry BROS....

I WILL SUPPORT OBAMA AGAIN.

August 14, 2012 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. Obama Cares

Yes, he has earned my vote!!! I will never support a lying republikin.

August 14, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  12. Four and The Door

Beginning Wednesday, the ad will run on broadcast and cable in 11 battleground states: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
    Great ad. Seriously, having 3 1/2 years dealing with exactly the same issues that we have in 2012, it seems Obama would have an advantage of pointing to any progress he has made. But he doesn't because he didn't. And that's quite a message all on its own. Romney/ Ryan 2012

August 14, 2012 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  13. Sal

That "dog" ain't gonna hunt, Mitt. What a waste of money.

August 14, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Republicans - "The Not Intended to Be Factually Accurate" Party

The Republicans talk a good game.

In year 1, I`d like to see tax loopholes in the tax code closed and nothing else and then see what the revenues are.

August 14, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  15. Jay

Why don't the Koch brothers openly state they are scared to death about their oil subsidies and their tax breaks running out under a second Obama term instead of creating these fictional ads these past few months

August 14, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Luke,AZ

President Obama deserves 4 more years just for killing Osama bin Laden during his administration. Romney/Ryan however only want to kill Grandma.

August 14, 2012 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Ernest

Yeah, Obama did not send me a birthday card.
    He promised me a rose garden.
    I thought my acne would clear up when I voted for him.
    He did not kill Osama soon enough. He did not choke Osama out with his bare hands.
    I want the new Chevy, but I still do not have a job.
    Obama still has not visited Israel. I am not Jewish, but that really pisses me off.
    He has not Nuked Glennbeckistan, and that pisses me off even more.
    I still have not seen a notarized note from God that says he was born here.
    In spite of the fact that he was editor of Harvard Law Review, I must know how many sociology classes he took.
    He acts too freaking nice all the time. For once he needs to get really pissed off on camera and tell some idiot what he really thinks of them. Just like the bloated dude from New Jersey.
    This is why I am so blind with rage, stupidity, a lack of self preservation, acne, unmet needs and expectations, blind obedience to authority, a need to control others, fits of weird lower bowel problems , did I mention stupidity?, that I am going to vote for Romney, and that nice Munster kid.
    Furthermore, I am going to hold my breath until the president calls me and reports on the sociology classes.......

August 14, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. RealityBites

Fool me once.., shame on you..
    Fool me twice.., shame on me.

August 14, 2012 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  19. Expat American

There is little value attached to anything attached to the Koch brothers.

August 14, 2012 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  20. Larry L

President Obama earned my vote and the Republicans have earned my loathing for trying to obstruct our recovery from the recession – the one they started! Where's those tax returns Romney? What are you hiding?

August 14, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. anthony76

Yes he has. Considering that Obama has excelled in every category the Republicans COULDNT obstruct in, I'd say he is leading wonderfully. Republicans have disrespected him, worked against him, and made whole hearted efforts to block anything he did, even when it was something they supported.

Yet all we hear is Obama's "failed record". Really?
    So I suppose the fact that he
    -got Bin Laden in less then 4 years,
    -saved GM,
    -passed AHCA,
    -repealed DADT,
    -and ended the Iraq war
    makes him a failure??!?

Are you people serious? How could you possible argue against this? But wait.. you must be the same people who rooted when Brazil got the Olympics over Chicago..... while you claim to lo love America draped in an American flag, clinching to your guns and bibles and Fox news and Hannity, Rush programming schedules.

But hey,
    -Romney keeps his money off-shore,
    -doesn't pay his fair share of taxes,
    -dodged Vietnam,
    -and never encouraged his sons to serve either.

yet THAT's more American to you people...

shame.

August 14, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. Larry L

Funded by the Koch brothers – the proud owners of Mitt Romney.

August 14, 2012 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. darksavant13

Sure, you pay me enough and I'll go on TV saying that I was sorry for voting for Obama, too. Then I'd go to the Obama camp and tell 'em I'll go on TV saying I was paid to say the things I did (smirk).

The fact is, the things those "ex" well-paid Obama voters are saying are a complete lie, and anyone that looks at his actual record of office can confirm this. The Liepulicans have started the same old stuff they did last election period and it didn't help them then. If they ever accepted the truth they couldn't live with themselves so, of course, lying comes natural.

August 14, 2012 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. CBR

Here we go. Another political ad paid for by the KOCH brothers and others. A group that does not have to report who or when it received money. They can spend all they went to make these ads.

Both candidates need to say enough and stop this foolishness. They need to firmly state that the presidential election should be above all that nonsense. The ads flood the airwaves and you find them on every channel. Does this mean tht the candidate with the most pacs will spend the most and buy the election?

August 14, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  25. steve powers

Yes I believe the actors, errr "former Obama supporters" in an ad paid for by the Koch brothers. Speaking of lies, I heard the Koch brothers eat infant eyeballs for breakfast.

August 14, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |