Devo off the leash: 'Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro'
August 14th, 2012

Devo off the leash: 'Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro'

(CNN) – Seamus, the now infamous Romney family dog from the 1980s, was again in the spotlight on Tuesday, off-handedly referenced by President Obama on the campaign trail and the subject of a soon-to-be released punk rock song.

Devo, the punk rock band famous for it's hit "Whip It ," will release a song later this month titled, "Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro (Remember Seamus)."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Rolling Stone first reported the track's release.

Mitt Romney told the story of strapping Seamus' kennel–with Seamus inside–to the roof of a station wagon for a family road trip from Massachusetts to Ontario in the 1980s. The car packed with Romney and his wife, Ann, and their five boys had no room for the dog who Romney said actually enjoyed the ride on the roof. Critics and animal rights activists soon ran with the story.

Tuesday, President Obama invoked his opponent's pooch's wind-swept ride while campaigning in the battleground state of Iowa and referencing a speech Romney gave a few months ago.

Obama said, "That's what he said about wind power: 'You can't drive a car with a windmill on it.' I don't know if he's actually tried that. I know he's had other things on his car."

The large crowd laughed, apparently picking up on the jab.

Devo founder and commercial director, Gerald V. Casale, is a major proponent of the late Seamus, even starting a 'Remember Seamus campaign' aimed to "go off leash by choosing a non-human as the most important political figure of this election. Make 2012 the year where animals like Seamus are valued and honestly praised," according to the campaign's website.

Recently, a series of parody songs hitting both sides of the political aisle have gone viral on the internet as the campaign season gets into full swing. The latest, "Romney Girl" harps on a certain presumptive GOP nominee for his wealth while a recast of the chart-topping hit "Somebody That I Used To Know," points to what it calls a disappointing first term for Obama as president.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. eric

more humane than actually eating FIDO–don't ya think?

August 15, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Joseph

Oh now you've done it, Mitt will stomp his feet and pout. He and Miss Ann think it's their "turn" to be in the WH and people should just accept it that they are above the rest of us "commoners". He's a bully and a bore, not fit to comb the beautiful red coat of Seamus, may he rest in peace.

August 15, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  3. Nix the Food Stamp President

Obama can't run on his pitiful record. We have months more of this from our classes President to come...

August 15, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The GOT say Paul Ryan is a fiscal hawk with the knowhow to balance the budget and get America back on the path to fiscal leadership and economic growth...Really? Hehe...under Paul's Ryan fiscal leadership in which the repugs controlled both the House and Senate and the Executive branch for eighy years, we didn't end up with a stable and thriving America. No, these jokers turned a surplus into a deficit and upend America with the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Hehe...Paul Ryan is not the solution. He's the PROBLEM.

August 15, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. obama is Out Of Touch with reality

there are only two dogs in this race, and they are both obama's and both useless

August 15, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Mittens Rmoney

The rich people will fill up my economic "car" so the poor and middle class will have to ride on the roof. Enjoy the ride and try not to "romney" yourself.

August 15, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. DrBob57

So what's worse, Romney strapping his dog on the top of his car, or Obama throwing American workers under a bus?

August 15, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The GOT say Paul Ryan is a fiscal hawk with the knowhow to balance the budget and get America back on the path to fiscal leadership and economic growth. Really? Hehe...under Paul Ryan's fiscal leadership in which the repugs controlled both the House and Senate and the Executive branch for eight years, we didn't end up with a stable and thriving America. No, instead these jokers turned a surplus into a deficit and upend America with the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Hehe...Paul Ryan is not the solution. He's the problem.

August 15, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  9. Max

Back in Chains!!!

Yes, Joe Biden is correct. Romney/Ryan Financial plan for the middle will certainly put us BACK IN CHAINS (financial chains that is). Accept it or not that's the fact.

Do we really want to go BACK IN CHAINS?????

August 15, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. livingston

Well, if he didn't want to be called on it he shouldn't have done it. But then he doesn't think he did anything wrong when he strapped the poor dog to the roof. If he were to do that today he would be arrested for animal cruelty If that is how he treats something that he says he cared about, exactly how well do you think he'll treat someone he doesn't care about? You know – the rest of us commoners.

August 15, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Lola

This is the best that obama has? And Devo? I remember them, barely. There is no recovery under Obama.

August 15, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. Brandon

I wasn't opposed to Romney until I read this account from his past basically demonstrating that he advocates animal cruelty. He will not get my vote. Period.

August 15, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. DrBob57

The suffering of the commoners, "back in chains," the middle class having to "ride on the roof." Oh, cry me a river! Pretty pathetic if your success in life depends on whether or not Romney is in the White House. Save the whiny liberal rhetoric and accept some personal responsibility.

August 15, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Malory Archer

DrBob57

Oh, cry me a river! Pretty pathetic if your success in life depends on whether or not Romney is in the White House. Save the whiny reichwing rhetoric and accept some personal responsibility.

FIFY DrBob57!

August 15, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Malory Archer

Lola

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When did President Obama join DEVO? I have tickets to their concert this fall, and that President Obama is now part of the band makes it all the better.

Yes lola, I AM mocking you!!! LMAO at the hypocracy and feigned indignation of the tighty righties!

August 15, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. sifto

media will always give obama/biden a pass–mitt will have to win the election on his own merits! Romney/Ryan hope for 2012!

August 15, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  17. Libysnow

He's got nothing else...how can any responsible person vote for such mediocrity, incompetence and failure again?

August 15, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  18. Pander Bear

Watching the lame conservative responses is almost as funny as a song called "Don't Roof Rack Me Bro". Romney sucks and you know it.

August 15, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  19. I'M JUST SAYING TOO....

Well, the use of the phrase "back in chains" will be a little controversiall but I get the meaning. There may not be bodies at the auction block on display for all too see, but financialy speaking we would all (except for the rich and powerful) certainly be "on lock down" should this ticket make it as far as the White House. Fourtunatly, I believe the American people are too smart to let that happen. Love him or hate him (and I am on the love him side), President Obama is the best we have!!!

August 15, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. Pa Voter

Why not "Don't eat me Bro !"?

At least Romneys Dog lived and was cared for.

August 15, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. Jersey Girl

@ART:
    "Don't worry in about 4 months from now the question will be Romney who? The answer oh that guy who really wanted to be President but never made it."
    --I have to agree, and notice that Voucher Ryan had his first interview, and his first Palin moment when being interviewed by Brit Hume (spelling?). He was tongue-tied! Really, he and R-money really have to get their stories straight, I think it's more important for R-money as he has no opinions, no core, no backbone, no soul.

August 15, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The GOT say Paul Ryan is a fiscal hawk with the knowhow to balance the budget and get America back on the path to fiscal leadership and economic growth ...Really? Hehe...under Paul Ryan's fiscal leadership in which the repugs controlled both the House and Senate and the Executive branch for eight years, we didn't end up with a stable and thriving America. No, these jokers turned a surplus into a deficit and upend America with the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Hehe...Paul Ryan is not the solution. He's the PROBLEM!

August 15, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. Pa Voter

Animals are placed in cargo holods on airplans on a daily basis. Talk about animal cruelty.

August 15, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. emma

Romney is pure evil, full of secrets and very arrogant man. Americans if they elect him willl soon realize!

August 15, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. bbsgirl

as an indepentant I have tried to get all the news i can to get the facts. But I can no longer watch CNN or MSNBC . It's clear who they are rutting for . I have watched the speaches, read the bills and it is amazing then what is projected on the air. I just closed a business after 47 yrs. I cannot vote for obama this time . I am done!
    If all the reporters can do is treat this election as a joke ,and pretty much smick at you if you don't take their side. then I guess I will be voting as a REP. ticket these last 4 yrs are the I have seen my country change , thie time I think I will just go for hope.

August 15, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |