August 14th, 2012

Romney mines for votes, digs at Obama in coal country

Beallsville, Ohio (CNN) - Mitt Romney criticized President Obama over his record on coal Tuesday in a speech heavier on attacks than policy specifics.

The presumptive GOP nominee traveled through winding roads deep into Eastern Ohio coal country to deliver his remarks to hundreds of miners standing in uniform outside the Century Mine in Beallsville.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Rachel Streitfeld on Twitter: @StreitfeldCNN

Romney charged Obama was "waging war on coal" and said the president had broken the promises he'd made to aid the coal industry.

"He talks about how wonderful it is and how we're adding jobs in the coal industry and producing more coal and I thought you know, how in the world can you go out there and just tell people things that aren't true," Romney said, as dozens of miners flanked him onstage. "This is a time for truth. If you don't believe in coal, if you don't believe in energy independence for America, then say it."

A Senate candidate who introduced Romney took a harsher tone, accusing the president of considering coal "a four-letter word."

"I'll tell you this afternoon," said state treasurer Josh Mandel, who is challenging incumbent Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown. "For any of these folks trying to stand between us and affordable, reliable, dependable energy, we have four words for them: over our dead bodies."

Asked whether Romney had changed his policy on coal, a campaign spokesperson did not offer specifics.

Instead, adviser Kevin Madden said it was "clear" Romney viewed coal as an important part of his all-inclusive energy policy.

"He's made very clear where he stands on this position, that he believes that it's an important part of an all of the above energy policy," Madden said. If we're going to bring back the manufacturing sector in this country and continue to grow the economy, that sources of energy like coal – and coal which is very important to this economy and this region of Ohio and other states, that it's important to be supportive of the coal industry."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Rudy NYC

------------------------
    Pres. Obama never said anything of the kind. The sheer volume lies and hot air that roll out of Mitt Romney's mouth could become another alternative fuel source, unnatural gas.

August 14, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If it time for the truth, why does Mittens then lie?

August 14, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Coal production is up. Ask the Kochs if they are making record profits.

August 14, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

Coal Country. Where the sun don't shine, and the water is ... well, you get the picture. Even Mitt got that picture clear enough:

"The video shows then-Massachusetts Gov. Romney standing before a Salem coal plant and saying: "I will not create jobs or hold jobs that kill people, and that plant, that plant kills people."

Before he began his weather-vane pandering days, that is.

August 14, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. chill

Maybe he should try the same speech to asthmatics at an alpine area destroyed by acid rain. Or maybe a place where there used to be glaciers or on a South Sea island up to his knees in seawater at its highest point. Maybe if people who used coal were made to pay the full price to society of doing so- investing in scrubbers to clean up the emmissions, then I'd be impressed, but Romney surely won't think so. Filth the place up today so people can have a job and those children and grandchildren the GOP likes to talk about will not only have the deficit, but be unable to breath freely to boot.

August 14, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. BlkPwr817

He's really there to buy the Coal Mine, take it thru bankruptcy then sell it. Leaving more & more Americans out of work...

August 14, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

Flip, flop, goes the Mittster.....says coal kills in 2003, now he is defending it. Who's side is he really on, ours, or his own?

August 14, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Wire Palladin, S. F.

"Teavangelicals For Atheists" has to realize that the entire republican party lies like a romney.

August 14, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. Eddie J

The miners & their families were from Murray's mines and were bused in to the site for the closed forum. No local people. Of course participation by the employees were "voluntary" (do you believe that).

I wonder if anybody asked Mitt how the clean up on Captiana creek next the the Century mine is going. It is a small stretch of black sludge (only 22 miles long).

August 14, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

The Real Tom Paine observed:

------------------

Montykoolaid ranted on July 23:

Romneys own words have been his own enemy throughout this entire circus of a GOP campaign.

"I was not responsible for what happened at Bain Capital after I left" – Mitt Romney
    "I was the sole shareholder, sole Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer and President of Bain until I resigned retroactively [huh?] in 2001" – Mitt Romney

"The Arizona immigration policy is a good model" – Mitt Romney
    "I didn't really support the Arizona immigration policy" – Mitt Romney

“The Massachusetts healthcare plan should be a model for the nation” – Mitt Romney
    “Healthcare reform should be left to the states” – Mitt Romney

"Let Detroit go bankrupt" -Mitt Romney
    "I'll take a lot of credit for saving the auto industry" -Mitt Romney

“I believe Roe v Wade has gone too far.” – Mitt Romney
    “Roe v Wade has been the law for 20 years ... we should sustain and support it.” – Mitt Romney

“I respect and will protect a woman’s right to choose.” – Mitt Romney
    “I never really called myself pro-choice.” – Mitt Romney

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.” – Mitt Romney
    “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and represent our country there.” – Mitt Romney

“I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.” – Mitt Romney
    “Ronald Reagan is … my hero.” – Mitt Romney

“I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.” – Mitt Romney
    "There’s no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.” – Mitt Romney

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” – Mitt Romney
    “I did not see it with my own eyes.” – Mitt Romney

“I would like to have campaign spending limits.” – Mitt Romney
    “The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates without burdensome limitations.” – Mitt Romney

“I supported the assault weapon ban.” – Mitt Romney
    "I don’t support any gun control legislation.” – Mitt Romney

July 24, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |

August 14, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. John

Love the photo: Looks like all those HARD WORKING MEN were paid to stand there.

Not one of them looks excited. Maybe alexithymic Mitt should have handed out flags to each one so they could "be seen waving"-Team Romney REALLY DID handout flags on Sat. during the "radical" Ryan "introduction."

August 14, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. John

The market will determine the winner between Natural gas and Coal........right now natural gas is in tremendous supply, is about half the price and causes far less polution................this has nothing to do with Obama.....it has a lot to do with common sense of the consumer.......

August 14, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Nan

While don't we get out the kerosene lamps while we're at it, Mittens? Pandering liar that he is.

August 14, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. myviewis

Huffington Post 8-8-12 very good article on the ad that touts Obama's support of the coal industry and it talks about Obama's pro-coal message and how he pledged to support clean coal by investing $5 billion. Also, the article makes reference that Obama said that coal production and jobs increased due to his administration. However, it also says that many have asked the ad be taken down due to health problems and that some groups find Obama more coal loving than Romney and it also talks about global warming effects that Obama was not addressing. Good article to read.

August 14, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. The Real Tom Paine

All Obama has to do is simply play clips of Mitt's convenient reversals, along with Gingrich's comment about the Ryan plan being " right-wing social engineering". Game over. The man has no core, no real set of convictions ( unless shameless pandering can be considered a core conviction), a horrible record as a one-term governor, and he is coupled with a man who wants to destroy Medicare because of his infatuation with a atheist philosopher who exaults greed above all else. Is this what you want leading the country? Is this all the GOP has to offer? Pathetic.

August 14, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. v_mag

Release the tax returns, or quit the race.

August 14, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. Namejkane fl SEND THE THREE TIME LOSER romney HOME AND MAKE IT FOUR.

Just shows, the Gop bafoons support coal ,the dirtiest fuel in the world .what does that tell you????? And where's your tax returns you tax cheat and the hot dog driver bribe taker from the Casio owner in wis ....

August 14, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. tee27

LOL ! Mitt trying to ease out of this one, In response to Romney's speech, Obama's reelection campaign circulated video of remarks the Republican made about coal years earlier, in 2003. The video shows then-Massachusetts Gov. Romney standing before a Salem coal plant and saying: "I will not create jobs or hold jobs that kill people, and that plant, that plant kills people."

August 14, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. R.Enos

I work at the Century coalmine. I don't do politics. I voted for Obama. I support coal. I also know that the facts are that my job creates 8 more jobs .there are over 500 employes at century . YOU do the math. Thats a lot of hardworking people out of work. And all of us just want to earn a good pay check to support our loved ones

August 14, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. AL in West Palm Beach, FL

From now on...
    Everytime Mitt the twit opens his mouth...the Democratic party should release a video showing Mitt stating the exact opposit....then...

have the media ask Mitt for a response.

August 14, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Expat American

Romney the Unich, having caught himself yet again in a pickle of his own creation – quickly defused the situation by turning around and eating a piece of coal….which, he claimed to “Love as much as grits…”.

August 14, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |