August 14th, 2012

Ryan embraces 'regular guy' routine on the stump in Colorado

Lakewood, Colorado (CNN) – Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan is rapidly emerging as an everyman foil to his ticket mate Mitt Romney, whose blue blood bearing has never quite resonated with grassroots conservatives.

Ryan has made repeated allusions to his regular guy interests during his rollout as Romney's running mate, talking up his fondness for bow-hunting, Wisconsin beer and the Green Bay Packers.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

He went a step further on Tuesday in Colorado, his second solo campaign event without Romney at his side.

"You know, I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, you know when I was flipping burgers at McDonalds, when I was standing in front of that big Hobart machine washing dishes or waiting tables, I never thought of myself as stuck in some station in life," Ryan told at least two thousand fired up supporters at Lakewood High School in suburban Denver. "I thought to myself: I'm the American dream."

And in making the case for a broader energy policy, Ryan recalled a recent visit to the gas station.

"You know, last week when I was filling my truck up … something tells me I'm not going to be putting gas in my truck again anytime soon," he said, drawing laughs. "But last week when I was filling my truck up, it cost me $100 bucks and the only reason it cost me $100 bucks is because the pump cut me off at $100 dollars and I didn't even fill the gas tank."

The contours of Ryan's stump speech are beginning to take shape.

In khaki slacks and a button-down shirt, Ryan talks up his Midwestern values, making a twin appeal to blue collar voters and the kind of suburbanites who showed up at his Colorado rally on Tuesday.

He then embraces the traditional attack dog role of a presidential running mate.

"He can't run on his record," Ryan said of President Obama, to lusty boos from the crowd. "He hasn't changed his tune. So all that he has left is to distort, demagogue, to divide, to try and confuse, to distract you from the real issues of this election."

And he praises the person at the top of the GOP ticket, exalting the candidate's business know-how and describing Romney in this election as a "man meeting the moment."

What's missing from his delivery?

Any reference to his controversial proposals to cut taxes and restructure Medicare and Medicaid - the issues that have dominated the campaign since Ryan, the House Budget chairman, was revealed as Romney's running mate last Saturday.

After the speech, the Obama campaign rapidly fired back at Ryan's attack on the Obama administration's energy policies.

"Paul Ryan tried to embrace President Obama's all-of-the-above energy strategy in Colorado today, but the Romney-Ryan budget would make devastating cuts to the President's investments in energy technologies that have expanded domestic oil production, helped put us on track to double renewable energy production, and increased natural gas production to an all-time high," said Obama spokesman Danny Kanner.

Filed under: 2012 • Colorado • Paul Ryan
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Did Ryan get "STUDENT LOANS" or did he "BORROW MONEY FROM HIS PARENTS" like Mitt Romney just told students to do. How many times will Romney tell people to shine his boots before he kicks them in the rear end and for some people it might take that.

August 14, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Ryan is just another out of touch millionaire republican who votes against the best interests of the American people, and voted for every crazy plan that "W" had.

August 14, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Sniffit

What a load of malarky. It's just making the whole Pathology of Plutocracy budget plan and CouponCare Crapshot thing exponentially more insulting: here he is, the guy whose proposals would absolutely, undeniable, irrevocably screw the middle-class and poor with a table leg in the name of redistributing more of the nation's wealth, income and power upwards and he's portraying himself as one of the people his plans would screw the most. He's MOCKING us.

August 14, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. rs

Just a regular ol' guy who really loves small government, de-regulation, and rich people but who has tried to criminalize birth control- no conflict there.

Do Republicans really have any core values anymore?

August 14, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. cali girl

I guess Ryan aka Eddie Munster needs to attach himself to regular folks somehow. Robmey is very lacking on that.
    I doubt though that Ryan is going to be able to reach the poor, women, immigrants, LGBT, Seniors and Veterans very well when his own ideas of a budget plan severely cut all programs that go to these folks.

August 14, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. jon

WOW! A pickup truck with a 50 gallon gas tank.

August 14, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Lisa P

Don't forget: little Paulie Ryan was voted "biggest brown-noser" by his high school class for a reason. He may not know how to legislate, or to get *anything* done, but he sure knows how to suck up!

I guess that makes Paulie Ryan a Taker, in his own simple-minded philosophy. He's Ellsworth Toohey all over again, pulling down the geniuses of the 21st century by making sure they never have a chance to begin with.

August 14, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, Lord. Another blue jeans and oxford TeamRomney moment of pure B.S.

August 14, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. Rick in L.A.

Paul Ryan is less than zero. Nobody votes for the VICE President. Wake up, folks: Back to the issues here, please.

August 14, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Namejkane fl SEND THE THREE TIME LOSER romney HOME AND MAKE IT FOUR.

The republican hot dog car vp canadate would cut your mothers soc. Sec and Medicare ,medicad ,food stamps while giving millionair non job creators millions in tax breaks that they don't need ,its called greed !!!!!!you can vote for the tax chest and the hot dog car driver who almost got incurred by the feds in wis,for excepting over 60,000 in campaign donations from a casino owner in wis .look it up new York times ,yesterday or politics !!!

August 14, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. areukiddingme

This guy is such a hypocrite. His family's wealth was built on government contracts. Then he goes to college using another government program (Social Security Survivors Benefits). He's nothing more than another guy (like Romney) who was born on third base and thinks he hit a home run based on his own doing. When you add that to his out-of-touch beliefs on birth control, taxes, Medicare, Social Security, ad nauseam, he's perhaps the worst choice that could have been made (except perhaps Christie).

August 14, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. CJ

"You know, I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, you know when I was flipping burgers at McDonalds, when I was standing in front of that big Hobart machine washing dishes or waiting tables, I never thought of myself as stuck in some station in life."

Yeah, because you had your family's multimillion dollar business you could fall back on.

August 14, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. george of the jungle

14 plus years in washington being paid by us the tax payers. Getting free health care really makes him a regular guy. He has all that cheese hardining in his vains thats why he doesn't mind pulling health care out from under seniors. or why he is against womans rights. Heck he can pay for healthcare for 10 kids. Tea party darling he does have more brains than mittens . Between the two they should beable to pretty much do away withe middle class. You fellows look so dumb in jeans.

August 14, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"He can't run on his record,"

"What's missing from his delivery? Any reference to his controversial proposals to cut taxes and restructure Medicare and Medicaid"

Projection...it's not just something you see at the movies.

August 14, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. Expat American

The Republican American Dream of 2012 is to keep those folks they deem as lower caste flipping burgers.
    That is the Poor, Uneducated, Non-White, Non-Christian, Minorities, Poor Whites even, and women who won’t sign over their uterus in exchange for a RNC voting card.

Ryan is a preppy nerd who won't be able to take the punch that's coming his way..... once it's thrown at him.

August 14, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

Paul Ryan is a snake oil salesman selling phony health tonic. In reality, he is trying take money from seniors and the middle class to benefit the wealthy with bigger tax breaks.

August 14, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Reggiedw

Look at all the haters. Democrats envy anything thats good in this country including Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. They only know malicious behavior so what else can expect from them. If they are not calling republicans hateful names they do not feel good about them themselves. I think it is because they hate themselves!!!!!! Keep hating because Romney and Ryan are still going to win in November.

August 14, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. independent

He's just a regular guy, living off the National Budget dole and telling everyone else to rely on the private sector. He is 42 years old and had worked in DC for 20 of those years. Yeah, he likes small government, as long as his job isn't affected.

August 14, 2012 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. v_mag

"Catholic" Ryan's hero is atheist Ayn Rand, not Jesus. Conservative Catholic bishops have already come out against his plans to dump on the poor.

Romney/Ryan – The first cultist/atheist presidential ticket in American history.

August 14, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Lynda/Minnesota

"What's missing from his delivery?"

Truth and honesty for starters. About HIS own plan of destruction geared at forcing the middle class into extinction.

August 14, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. IF YOU SIGNED GROVER'S PLEDGE, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE U.S.

He claims to be a regular guy while back in 2010 he called progressivism a "cancer" on society. He's not my type of guy.

August 14, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Susan in Arkansas

Bow hunting, beer and football. Sounds like "Joe the Plumber" is back! Good grief!

August 14, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

--------------
    Excuse me. Allow me to point out the obvious. McDonald's does not have dish washing machines, nor do they have tables that need waiting on. At least not at any McDonald's that I've ever been to. They serve your food wrapped in paper and cardboard. This one gets four Pinnochios

August 14, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"I thought to myself: I'm the American dream."
    -------------------------------------------------
    Funny, that's probably the same thing that many Latinos standing in front of that same Hobart machine washing dishes think. Except that they are not White, blue-eyed, and free to move about without ID, and they have ANOTHER Hobart machine to go stand in front of after they're done at this McDonalds, or many more beds to make before they hit their own. Oh, and they don't have an entire political Party with hundreds of millions at their disposal intent on stomping that dream into the ground.

Obama 2012. Because America can't afford to take a little R and R right now.

August 14, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. cali girl

Expat I agree!!
    Also Veterans, Seniors, Immigrants, LGBT go along for the ride in the GOP car going over the cliff.

August 14, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |