August 14th, 2012

Ryan embraces 'regular guy' routine on the stump in Colorado

Lakewood, Colorado (CNN) – Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan is rapidly emerging as an everyman foil to his ticket mate Mitt Romney, whose blue blood bearing has never quite resonated with grassroots conservatives.

Ryan has made repeated allusions to his regular guy interests during his rollout as Romney's running mate, talking up his fondness for bow-hunting, Wisconsin beer and the Green Bay Packers.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

He went a step further on Tuesday in Colorado, his second solo campaign event without Romney at his side.

"You know, I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, you know when I was flipping burgers at McDonalds, when I was standing in front of that big Hobart machine washing dishes or waiting tables, I never thought of myself as stuck in some station in life," Ryan told at least two thousand fired up supporters at Lakewood High School in suburban Denver. "I thought to myself: I'm the American dream."

And in making the case for a broader energy policy, Ryan recalled a recent visit to the gas station.

The contours of Ryan's stump speech are beginning to take shape.

In khaki slacks and a button-down shirt, Ryan talks up his Midwestern values, making a twin appeal to blue collar voters and the kind of suburbanites who showed up at his Colorado rally on Tuesday.

He then embraces the traditional attack dog role of a presidential running mate.

"He can't run on his record," Ryan said of President Obama, to lusty boos from the crowd. "He hasn't changed his tune. So all that he has left is to distort, demagogue, to divide, to try and confuse, to distract you from the real issues of this election."

And he praises the person at the top of the GOP ticket, exalting the candidate's business know-how and describing Romney in this election as a "man meeting the moment."

What's missing from his delivery?

Any reference to his controversial proposals to cut taxes and restructure Medicare and Medicaid - the issues that have dominated the campaign since Ryan, the House Budget chairman, was revealed as Romney's running mate last Saturday.

After the speech, the Obama campaign rapidly fired back at Ryan's attack on the Obama administration's energy policies.

"Paul Ryan tried to embrace President Obama's all-of-the-above energy strategy in Colorado today, but the Romney-Ryan budget would make devastating cuts to the President's investments in energy technologies that have expanded domestic oil production, helped put us on track to double renewable energy production, and increased natural gas production to an all-time high," said Obama spokesman Danny Kanner.

Filed under: 2012 • Colorado • Paul Ryan
  1. Babyboomer

We are not fooled by this "Regular Guy" BS. Do these folks think we don't have Google and the internet in middle and working poor house holds. Some don't but most do and just because we are not rich does not mean we are stupid. We have eyes and ears. We SEE AND HEAR you and we're not buying what you are selling.

August 14, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. ChristopherM

Regular guy? A regular guy who wants to gut Social Security after Social Security paid his way through college. A regular guy who hates federal intervention even though his family got rich via their construction company that made millions from the government when Eisenhower built the US Interstate system. Yeah, he's just a regular Joe!

August 14, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. Boo

The Coloradians that I know say hell will freeze over before they vote for Romney/Ryan.

August 14, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. roro

Regular guy my foot! He comes from wealth, and only cares about making sure he and his people get even more wealth provided, of course, by the working middle class stiffs. Wake up, people, he and Romney don't care about you.

August 14, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. russ

Really, Ryan, maybe if you didn't endulge yourself with such a big gas guzzling vehicle, which most of us can't afford to have, you wouldn't have that poor poor you couldn't fill your tank all the way problem. Most people wish they had a 100 bucks to fill their tank with. Get over yourself.

August 14, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. BLKMANinAmerica

1 he def is telling a bold-faced LIE about $100 not filing up his tank...................................please! My point is why on earth are these repuks just telling bold-faced LIES? I mean really, WHY?

August 14, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

Once again, the GOP gets it wrong...they love the person at the bottom of the ticket, while they barely tolerate the one at the top. At least they are consistent...consistently wrong. Ryan attended a school known more for Georgian architecture than for deep thinking, for God's sake, and he worships the words of a atheist hypocrite who hated the government while defrauding it. Typical rightie.

August 14, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  8. Wes B.

If he's a "regular guy" then why do all his plans crap on the lower and middle classes?

Fact is, he DIDN'T come from the lower or middle class. His family was well-off. Big surprise, eh?

August 14, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

BOW HUNTING?!?
    You need ample acreage to bow-hunt don't you? Wildlife... Trees..

August 14, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. Ben

Most regular guys aren't owned by Sheldon Adelson and his Israel agenda. Ryan has only been on the ticket a couple of days and he's already on his way to get instructions from Sheldon Adelson.

August 14, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. Lando

Dont be fooled by this millionaire...he wanted to gut social security and medicare because he and his family
    can live without it. Another oligarch...

August 14, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. BLKMANinAmerica

"What's missing from his delivery? ..................... Any reference to his controversial proposals to cut taxes and restructure Medicare and Medicaid – the issues that have dominated the campaign since Ryan, the House Budget chairman, was revealed as Romney's running mate last Saturday." Because clearly neither he nor Romney could ever 'run on their records" WHY is that?

August 14, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Big blue eyes. Wrinkled shirt.
    "I'm a bubba, just like you".
    We know.

August 14, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Pete

He hasn't told folks on the trail how he used his fathers SocialSecurity survivor funds to put him thru college even thou his father was an owner of a multimillion dollar construction company after his fathers death did he!!He hasn't told voters in other states how he and Governor Scott Walker have tried to sell Wisconsin power plants to the Koch brothers right from under the residents ,nice plan ha!!How he's rubber stamped every Bush bill,plus trying to sell SocialSecurity to WallStreet,approved the tax cut plan for millionairs recently that got shot down..How he's also working with Wisconsin officials to supress voters in that state,check out some of his agendas,they're extreme..How's he trying to worm his way out of being an Ayn Rand diciple,she's the atheist,socialist he's been speaking about in public for years and he's catholic.How he believes in her teaching on socialism and how she believes strongly in abortion..You hypocritical republicans have historicly picked some real winners for president,vp but you're trying your hardest to beat that McCain,Palin duo aren't ya,these two are definitly original I'll give you credit for that!!

August 14, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. will never vote Republician again

Oh Ryan, he's just a good Catholic boy. Just ask his GOD MOTHER AYN RAND

August 14, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. nmmell08

Next he is going to Missisppi and say he likes grits. Come on, if you have to explain why your a regular guy, your trying way to hard and everyone knows it

August 14, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Darryl

Talk about too much goverment ? Ryan saying too much goverment helping people yet his entire Familys bussiness got lots of Goverment Loans to help start it up. lol....This Ryan guy is so full of it, it's not funny. He's out there giving his great so called speeches for Romney talking about how goverment and how we need to get goverment out of our lives and saying if you have a bussiness you did build it by yourself. Quoteing Pres.Obama saying you didn't build it by yourself, implying you had help from lots of sorces and includeing the goverment. What a Hipacrite !

August 14, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. sf

regular guy? NOT...more like regular d bag! these types of "men" are nothing but bullies in the line of work they are in...even if they were in the corporate environment, they'd be the ones calling the shots and making lives miserable for the employees working in the company...shhmoozing with their good ol boys, scheming ways of screwing other people over so they can get their bonus, firing someone with a smile on their face, etc. etc...THIS is the type of guy republicans are...Paul is "no regular guy"!!! period!

obama 2012!

August 14, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Lando

Reminder: He is a number one supporter of Bush and his economics that got us into this mess. He thinks there was
    mass amnesia in the USA....

August 14, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. truth hurts

>Dominican mama 4 Obama
    >I'm a South Bronx girl. Since when did bow hunting become an all-American sport?

get out of the hood more obama mama.... i guess where you are the animals hunt the (defenseless) people.

August 14, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. PJ

Bow hunting and noodling. A male still looking for his manhood. Yuck.

August 14, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. CNN Fan

..blah blah blah..."You know, last week when I was filling my truck up … something tells me I'm not going to be putting gas in my truck again anytime soon," he said, drawing laughs. "But last week when I was filling my truck up, it cost me $100 bucks and the only reason it cost me $100 bucks is because the pump cut me off at $100 dollars and I didn't even fill the gas tank."..

This regular guy might ride Cadillac SUV that the regular middle-class people cant afford to ride...that why $100 can't fill up his tank....how ridiculous this guy talking? haha...so funny..from extremist...you are too smart to lead us to the wrong direction, Ryan.....

August 14, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Marie MD

You take Maalox every night to keep regular? Is that an endorsemet from the kill the seniors and the poor by taking away what little they can receive after years and decades of working? Twp thousand showed up? Still small crowds.
    So you are paying $100 for gas to fill up your truck and you poor hate the elderly person you have to do it yourself? Every think of buying a maller more economical car, you moron? You think seniors will be able to buy or keep a car if you get your hands on their Medicare and Social Security?
    As far as you flipping burgers that education you received is the same education your teapublikkkans want to take away from other citizens.

August 14, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Brooke

Ryan is a fake just like Romney, we Americans are smarter than that. I don't care if you are Dem, Rep or Ind, the guy is a clown. He does not care about the middle class or old people. He trying to change the big 3 don;t care who it hurts. He don't care because his retirement will be in tack, so don't Fu$k with the old people ......

August 14, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Mr. Moderate

I struggle to call anyone who has been a beltway insider for their entire adult working life a "regular" guy.

August 14, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |