August 16th, 2012

Video: Romney shows 'penchant for secrecy,' Axelrod says

(CNN)– Obama campaign senior adviser David Axelrod said Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney "has a penchant for secrecy" and is holding himself to a different standard by not releasing more years of tax returns.

Following criticism and allegations from Democrats suggesting that the presumptive GOP nominee had not been paying taxes, Romney said Thursday that he has paid no less than 13% in personal income taxes over the past ten years.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'll say he's setting an entirely new precedent," said Axelrod when asked by CNN's Piers Morgan if he believes Romney has paid at least a 13% tax rate.

"Governor Romney thinks he can operate under a different set of rules," said Axelrod, noting the precedent set by Romney's father who released 12 years of tax returns in his unsuccessful run for the White House in 1968. "He has a sense of entitlement that he doesn't have to operate under the same set of rules that presidential candidates have for decades."

Filed under: David Axelrod • Mitt Romney • Taxes
  1. NameFrank

Romney needs to understand that he's not running for the President of the Des Moines City Council. He running for the President of the United States. Greater transparency is required.

August 16, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  2. Phil Thomas

All the guy has to do is release his tax returns and he puts this thing to bed. Regardless of what any one writes on this message board, bottom line is if you release the tax forms this thing goes to bed. Unless ofcourse you are hiding something and that is the only conclusion you can draw. The white board visual is pretty funny though, Mitt is a funny guy

August 16, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. lisa2010

this is what happens when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you expected to be treated differently, and be babied all his life... this is the bully person coming out of Romney, he hasn't out grown it since his school days...ROMNEY SHOULD GROW UP, AND ACCEPT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TRANSPERENCY OF THE PRESIDENCY.. MAYBE HE DESTROYED HIS TAX RETURNS THE WAY HE DESTROYED ALL HIS RECORDS AS GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETS...

August 16, 2012 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  4. Really?

OMG! Axlerod can't be serious! Obama has spent a fortune to keep his college transcripts sealed, refuses to show his original hard copy birth certificate, breaks laws by claiming executive privilege, shoves his atrocious Obamacare(less) down our throats by bribing certain Democrats, stands by his lame brain VP's divisive, lying comments, breaks laws regarding amnesty to aliens, and Axlerod actually says "Romney thinks he can operate under a different set of rules"?!?!

August 16, 2012 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  5. Name Kenney John

If Americans should vote for Romney & Ryan despite their lies & deceit, then America is really losing the # one spot in the world.

August 16, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. Ed in Iowa

CNN, writes, "Romney said Thursday that he has paid no less than 13% in personal income taxes over the past ten years." This is not accurate because Romney did not specify where the 13% tax represent.

Here is Romney's full statement: "I just have to say, given the challenges that America faces – 23 million people out of work, Iran about to become nuclear, one out of six Americans in poverty – the fascination with taxes I’ve paid I find to be very small-minded compared to the broad issues that we face. But I did go back and look at my taxes and over the past 10 years I never paid less than 13 percent. I think the most recent year is 13.6 or something like that. So I paid taxes every single year. Harry Reid’s charge is totally false. I’m sure waiting for Harry to put up who it was that told him what he says they told him. I don’t believe it for a minute, by the way. But every year I’ve paid at least 13 percent and if you add in addition the amount that goes to charity, why the number gets well above 20 percent."

So, this article needs updating.

August 16, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. Ed in Iowa

CNN, writes, "Romney said Thursday that he has paid no less than 13% in personal income taxes over the past ten years." This is not accurate because Romney did not specify what the 13% tax represent.

August 16, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. Former Republican, now an Independent

Romney is a "silver spoon" rich kid who really does believe he shouldn't have to be judged by the same standard as working people. He is now proud of the fact that he paid 13% in taxes??? I have paid more than that each of the last 4 years as a retiree on an average blue collar fixed income. What an out of touch human being this guy is!!!

August 16, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. krabz

And what "rules" are those, Mr. Axelrod?

August 16, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  10. Lionel

Show us the taxes Mitt. What are you hiding?? Please do not vote to give more tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires so they can hide their money in offshore accounts. They have had this for over 10 years.

Obama / Biden 2012

August 16, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  11. Marty, FL

It is shameful how Romney refuses to uphold his own father's precedent of releasing tax returns.

Considering Romney's lies exposed with his MA tax returns, there is no reason to trust him now.

August 16, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  12. SafeJourney

Axelrod, that is an understatement. Why in the world would Americans vote for Mitt that Hides is money in the Cayman Islands and in a swiss bank account to avoid paying American taxes. No, Mitt you will Not get my families vote

August 16, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  13. Tk

Mr Axelrod, president Obama has never proved he finished college. As a matter of fact, nobdiy remembers hom. Can you please ask him to prove he did.

August 16, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  14. Four and The Door

Go ahead, Axelrod. You talk about tax returns. Romney/ Ryan 2012 will talk about jobs, the economy, national debt and a plan forward. Guess who American voters will want doing their work in Washington going forward? Romney/ Ryan 2012.

August 17, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  15. clownshoes

Why is Obama so secretive about his college records? Whats he hiding Axelrod?

August 17, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

I have a quandary here as personally I think my tax returns are PRIVATE and the proverbial one finger not even polite re-action to anyone who asks. But I am not running for any elective office nor do I intend to because our lovely country seems to think that allows me to be raped of every single privacy most of us enjoy.
    I choose never to tell anyone how much I earn, never answer questions on job or other applications of my religious beliefs. Nor will I answer questions on my political affiliations, or not; QED you'll never poll me as a registered Republican or Democrat... nor should you be able too. Shall we bear in mind if, you are getting the reply from the phone call respondent they could be lying!? if you are getting it from the Republican or Democratic party lists then for me that info is not available to pollsters or media and they should not have access to it!
    If however you seek elective office In America you have to face a reality check of having to give up your rights to privacy... that to me is fundamentally wrong, but irrelevant as its currently a USA reality.
    If Romney has paid 13% or whatever as he says over the last 10 years, then he has no apparent political reason not to disclose them.
    The problem is Income subject to US taxes ( @13%) and potentially other income not taxable under existing US laws like corporate profits held overseas, not remitted to US = non taxable in US.
    I am a CPA and somewhat of an international personal tax advisor. For me his I give a lot to charity was a Bingo moment as to how he's done it and left overseas income untaxed in tax havens and not "legally taxable" in US either.
    For me he makes matters worse he does not answer the question.
    The right question is should elective officials have to disclose tax returns if they wish to be a representative of the people at whatever level.
    If DADT was a good law then why is a TAX DADT law not reasonable?
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

August 17, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  17. Brady

Axelrod is a toxic figure in politics. I'm glad Romney isn't budging just because it pisses the Left off and exposes them even more as class warfare zealots. Hey guys, go make your own money. Romney didn't steal from you. His money isn't yours. More power to anyone who can legally pay as little taxes as possible. Government wastes our money anyway.

August 17, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  18. faxurtz

Come on CNN he said Penchant! who is proof reading these articles need to learn english....
    This is what I expect from yahoo and fox.....

August 17, 2012 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  19. Joe Kenney

I don't trust Mitt. He's got way too much to hide.

August 17, 2012 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  20. scott

This coming from a campaign that hides everything, like passing OBama care in the middle of the night, when no one is around, what about your college transcripts.

August 17, 2012 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  21. Bye Bye Republican Party: I HEAR your goose steps

If Bishop Robney gets elected POTUS, he will make NIXON look transparent.

Put these thieves who pay no taxes back in, things are going to get a lot worse than 2008

August 17, 2012 06:49 am at 6:49 am |