Republicans mock Obama over radio interview
August 17th, 2012

Republicans mock Obama over radio interview

(CNN) - The Republican National Committee on Friday mocked President Barack Obama's recent interview with a New Mexico radio station - an interview which included questions on food, music, and what superpower the president would most like to have.

The RNC spliced the interview into a web video which shows Obama on the phone with his feet up and the words, "This is not a parody: Actual Interview with President Obama."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Obama is asked about his favorite New Mexico food and his recommendations for Chicago eats - and eventually one of the radio show co-hosts says, "We'll go to dinner when you come to town. I'll take you."

Later in the interview, she reminds him, "we have a dinner date now," then says, "I just flirted with the president of the United States of America."

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus posted a link to the interview to his Twitter page, and commented, "Americans are struggling and have serious ?s that deserve real answers. Instead, POTUS flirts w/pop radio host."

Both Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney have granted interviews with local outlets in battleground states in their battle for the White House. They field questions from from national outlets who follow their movements with varying frequency.

Romney's most recent press conference was on Thursday in South Carolina. Obama last took questions from wire service reporters in mid-June at the G20 conference in Mexico, while his last full press conference was in May at the NATO conference in Chicago.

At Friday's White House briefing for reporters, deputy press secretary Josh Earnest fielded a question from CNN White House Correspondent Dan Lothian about when the president's next press conference would be.

"The president has spent a lot of time answering questions from journalists all across the country," Earnest replied. "The president has spent a lot of time talking publicly about the issues he thinks are at stake in this election and are worthy of an important political debate about the future of the country. That is something he feels a responsibility to do."

Filed under: 2012
  1. was for obama now for romney

man, i wish the pes was more open. seems to be hiding a bit and kinda lost. i had high hopes but this is just terrible....so disappointed

August 17, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. Howard

This is another reason why America wants to see Obama's college records ...
    First ... to see if he actually went to college
    Second ... to see who he had to pay off to get into college
    Third ... to see if he actually a passing grade in any of his classes
    When you pay a MILLION BUCKS to hide your records ... something is up.

August 17, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain: Under the Ryan Plan, Romney Pays 0.87% in taxes

Repubs are just jealous because President Obama actually has a personality.

August 17, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  4. Howard

@Tony Z ... who said "it shows the President is a regular person" ... but, it really
    shows that Obama is irregular ... another reason he's full of it !!!

August 17, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. Tree

I don't understand you REP heads, to much of FOX. The president is doing a good job, and he is one of us. Not like you can't se beyond you noses and always thinking of self. R&R can't not even answer a question they dance all around it. Which telling me my friend that they are not FIT to be president and VP of this great country. REP you know that they are weak, the more thing they put out there the more we see. NOTHING....../

August 17, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain: Under the Ryan Plan, Romney Pays 0.87% in taxes

@Everything But the Economy: "wiping out other energy sectors"

Try learning the FACTS about President Obama and energy:

- Since President Obama took office, oil imports have dropped by an average of 1.1 million barrels per day.
    - In 2010 domestic crude oil production reached its highest level since 2003.
    - In 2010 natural gas production reached its highest level in more than 30 years.
    - The U.S. has become a net exporter of fuels for the first time since 1949.
    - The Obama administration has proposed a 5-year offshore leasing plan that makes more than 75% of undiscovered oil and gas resources off our shores available for development (while putting in place safeguards to prevent another BP spill from happening).

But since you watch Fox, you wouldn't know about these FACTS.

August 17, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Sandy

How does this ad help the GOP? It just makes the President look like a cool regular guy, reminding us that Romney IS NOT! LMAO! What fools the GOP are. BWAAAAAAAAAAAA!

August 17, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. Romney Memorial Day Interview

It is 5 p.m. on Memorial Day.

“Hot dog, potato salad, corn salad,” Mr. Romney says, ticking off what he had for lunch with his family in San Diego. “Doesn’t get much better than that.” “Blueberry pie,” Mr. Romney says. “Blueberry pie.”

Somebody asks who made the pie. “Ann did the corn salad, and, uh, Mary did the blueberry pie, and Matt did the hot dogs and I did most of the eating,” Mr. Romney says, referring to his wife, daughter-in-law and son.

“O.K.” he says. “Off we go!”

Then he pauses to inspect the airplane seat.

“This is an upgrade, you know. You notice this? This is leather. It’s not Naugahyde, huh?”

A reporter suggests it might be pleather. “Pleather?” Mr. Romney asks.

But he quickly returns to his original assessment of Naugahyde, which he punctuates with a joke.

“Kill a lot of naugas for this,” Mr. Romney deadpans.

The reporters chuckle.

August 17, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Pete

Yah know what's funny its Romney ignoring his Mexican relatives ,they were interviewed way back in the primaries and they say they're proud he's running but he refused to call or recognise them as family nice ha!!!A real peoples president ,typical wealthy elitist snob....

August 17, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. Wes B.

Is this what Santorum and Gingrich meant when they talked about Romney's carpet-bombing method of negative advertising?

August 17, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. 82 Days until Obama is RE-ELECTED

@Ending the American Dream as We Know It – THAT would be ROMNEY!! Successful, competent, gets the job done without fingerpointing or excuses.
    ------------------------
    Ha! Dreaming Teatrolls again. Please provide ANYTHING concrete that Mitt the Twit hasn't flip-flopped on. No! choosing Ayn Ryan doesn't count.. he hasn't been chosen long enough. Let's see how successful and competent Willard really is... If this is you idea of those qualiities. .I have a bridge in AZ for ya!!

"I was not responsible for what happened at Bain Capital after I left" – Mitt Romney
    "I was the sole shareholder, sole Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer and President of Bain until I resigned retroactively [huh?] in 2001" – Mitt Romney

"The Arizona immigration policy is a good model" – Mitt Romney
    "I didn't really support the Arizona immigration policy" – Mitt Romney

“The Massachusetts healthcare plan should be a model for the nation” – Mitt Romney
    “Healthcare reform should be left to the states” – Mitt Romney

"Let Detroit go bankrupt" -Mitt Romney
    "I'll take a lot of credit for saving the auto industry" -Mitt Romney

“I believe Roe v Wade has gone too far.” – Mitt Romney
    “Roe v Wade has been the law for 20 years ... we should sustain and support it.” – Mitt Romney

“I respect and will protect a woman’s right to choose.” – Mitt Romney
    “I never really called myself pro-choice.” – Mitt Romney

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.” – Mitt Romney
    “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and represent our country there.” – Mitt Romney

“I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.” – Mitt Romney
    “Ronald Reagan is … my hero.” – Mitt Romney

“I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.” – Mitt Romney
    "There’s no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.” – Mitt Romney

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” – Mitt Romney
    “I did not see it with my own eyes.” – Mitt Romney

“I would like to have campaign spending limits.” – Mitt Romney
    “The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates without burdensome limitations.” – Mitt Romney

“I supported the assault weapon ban.” – Mitt Romney
    "I don’t support any gun control legislation.” – Mitt Romney

August 17, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. Mitt Romney Makes Mitt Romney Look Like a Fool on David Letterman's Show

Top Ten Things Mitt Romney Would like to Say to the American People

Mitt:

"10. Isn’t it time for a president who looks like a 1970s game-show host?

9. What’s up gangstas, it’s the m-i-double-tizzle

8. I have no proof, but I have a feeling Canada is planning something.

7. Actually, I’m only here to meet Tom Cruise.

6. Live from New York, It’s Saturday night!

5. My new cologne is now available at Macy’s. It’s ‘Mitt-stified’

4. I just used all my campaign money to buy a zoo with Matt Damon.

3. I can do a lot, but even I can’t fix the Indianapolis Colts.

2. Newt Gingrich, really?

1. It’s a hairpiece."

August 17, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. v4865

Faux will be running on OVERTIME WITH THIS!!AND TO THINK THE
    RE ARE PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THIS THIS ...WOW THANKS CNN AKA FAUX IN THE HOLE ENTERTAINMENT ..
    WE NEED BETTER JOURNALIST ...ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE PRESIDENT. THEY RUN WITH IT..HAS ANYONE EVER NOTICE WHEN IT'S NEGATIVE ABOUT THE PRESIDENT HOW THEY HAVE THIS STUPID SMIRK ON WOLF JOHN KING.
    GLORIA.....ALL THESE KONSERVATIVEZ. BLOWS ME ..WE'RE WATCHING YOU OK..

August 17, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. MNAnonymous!

Hey bb, why don't you ask that question to the Cryer in Chief, Mr. Boehner... he was running on Jobs, jobs, jobs, but only killed any bill put forward by Mr. Obama.

August 17, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. Mike

This must be what Mitt means when he says that he is taking the high road and that President Obama keeps sinking lower. Typical Romney – he has his understanding of high road and low road all flip-flopped.

August 17, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Bonnie in Seattle

Really??? Really??? The GOP is really scrapping the bottom of the barrell for this one... If this is what the GOP is concerned about then electing Romney is really SCARY!!!! Obama/Biden 2012

August 17, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Michigan patriot

Oh sure, like Obama's great personality has helped the country. Give me a break. Where are the jobs? You think because he has a "personality," its going to create jobs? He is destroying our great country.

August 17, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Mitt Romney Makes Mitt Romney Look Like a Fool on David Letterman's Show--Part Deux

Top Ten Things You Don't Know About Mitt Romney

Mitt:

"10. Mitt is short for Mitt-thew. (Letterman: Miss you too!)

9. I can't begin my day until I've read the Washington Post and Kim Kardashian's tweets.

8. I'm the guy in the photo that comes with your picture frame.

7. I spent 6 months in a Mexican prison for selling black market pillow pets.

6. Do I smell as good as I look? No.

5. In high school, I was voted "Mittiest"

4. I got into politics for the piles and piles of paperwork.

3. Look for my best-selling biography "They Call Me Baba Romney."

2. I have absolutely no idea where my birth certificate is.

1. Oprah is my half-sister."

August 17, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Anonymous

mormon slurs on ur so called news site posts again

August 17, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Romney is not My Hero

"POTUS flirts w/pop radio host" – Poor "little" Rinsy-poo just can't understand how to make friends without paying for them. Jealous? The GOP/RNC is so full of horse-Mitt.

OBAMA 2012!

August 17, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

There is a dark, nasty, evil side to this ad. A man is cheating on his wife.

August 17, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |