Washington (CNN) - Ann Romney is expected to be named the main headliner to kick off the Republican National Convention – establishing a foundation for the week long GOP effort to rally support for her husband’s presidential campaign.
The announcement is likely to come Monday as part of a bigger rollout of the convention schedule, a Republican source with knowledge of the plan tells CNN. The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, cautioned that the schedule could change, as the Romney campaign and organizers seek to put the finishing touches on the four day event.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
(In the past week, several speakers have told CNN they received their speaking slots, but were warned not to reveal them because the days and times could change).
Having Ann Romney play a prominent role on the convention’s first night makes sense, as she is widely considered to be one of her husband’s most effective surrogates. It would also create a bookend effect – Ann Romney speaking on the first night, with her husband formally accepting the Republican presidential nomination on the final evening of the convention. This is an important optic as Mitt Romney’s family has played a key messaging role in his presidential campaign.
Another Republican source, who asked not to be named, said that the goal of the convention is “to tell Mitt Romney's story as someone who has the skills and background to turn the nation around.”
With the exception of naming New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as the keynote speaker and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as the person who will introduce Romney on Thursday night,
RNC officials have only released the names of speakers who will address the convention.
But throughout this coming week, specific details will be unveiled for each convention night, seven days in advance. For example, speakers, times and the theme for the opening night will be released Monday. On Tuesday, similar details will be released for the second day of the convention. This will continue throughout this week.
In a nod to the growing influence and use of mobile devices, organizers will be releasing this daily information on the convention’s official app, Tampa 2012. The Republican convention will convene on August 27 and end with Romney accepting his party’s nomination on August 30.
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
If Ann is elected, and Mittens then becomes first lady, do 'you people' have to bow down to her holiness?
Trailer park residences have better anger management than Ann Romney . Rock center interview proved she is hiding money offshore
I would rather hear Dr. Ron Paul speak instead of her. She has nothing in substance to tell people. I can't understand why they have left him out.
Well at least she doesnt spend thousands of dollars of the tax payers money on clothes. i hope michelle enjoys shopping at goodwill and wal mart come 2013 let her see what it is like living in the economy that her husband has left us to rot in. ROMNEY/RYAN THE DYNAMIC DUO 2012
WOW, I did google "Lying for the Lord" and it REALLY IS a mormon thing.!!!
I still think that she would have been a better choice for a running mate than Paul Ryan is. No need to show more tax returns and she could effectively cover all his missteps and gaffes. Meanwhile the horse just dances on.
I raised FOUR kids on a whole lot less than a $200 MILLION fortune, gardners, chauffeurs, nannies, cooks and limo elevators in my home. Anne Romney is clueless about "you people" and the only white house she belongs in is they one her Twit husband owns... replete with elevators and all.
Anonymous- If you voted for the Charlatan now occupying the White House, you DID participate in "the duping of America"!!!!!
Yesterday 4 bipartisan Nobel prize winning Economic Laureates have come out and said that Romney's economic plans are great and will turn the economy around.
The group, founded by ex-Bush official, includes 5 Nobel Prize winners ... supporting Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney's economic policies.
Ohh Great , Ex GW Bush Economic yes men support Mitt Romney .
NO THANKS. , BEEN THERE , DONE THAT !
Is she going to sing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"?? Looks like she's practicing her imperial wave in that picture....
Yeah because obama has done a great job (insert sarcasm)
Here is Obama's great job...
-Ended Iraq War
-Saved country from falling into Depression
-Over saw Killing of Bin Laden
What has any of YOUR guys done to help the country?
Cause the recession?
2 unfunded wars?
Tax breaks for the rich with no revenue creation
Try to repeal the AHCA 30+times... (where are the jobs?)
Ok... your turn...
Wow, not to many people like Ann.
Why do people get upset when the poor use welfare but have no problem when the wealthy get a bailout?
Lamont Sanford: Pop, that's what the welfare thing was setup for: for people in financial trouble. What do you think we pay taxes for? We'd just be taking advantage of something that was setup for people like us.
Fred Sanford: What do you mean 'people like us'?
Lamont Sanford: Poor people. The have nots.
Fred Sanford: The have nots? Well if the have nots could get something from the haves and the haves gave the have nots half of what they have, then the haves would still be the haves but the have nots would be the have somethings.
Bring those tax returns that "us people" demand. She has already admitted that the returns provide so much ammunition, might as well get it out of the way. The cover up only makes her and the dude hiding behind her skirt look that much more guilty.
Annie can be all pout-raged and angry as she wants, the tax issue will be dogging her and her wimpy spouse until we get the returns. Don't try the blind trust excuse any longer. It's as played out as "job creators". Her wimpy spouse already dished a moment of truth when he admitted that blind trusts are an age old ruse. Show us the taxes Romneys!!
Why is it she always wears that "look" of scorn on her face? No one is asking her to represent us, in fact, I can't wait until she's back counting money and out of the public eye because she's not real pleasing to look at by ANY man I know and her disposition makes her look even worse. Bye, bye Ann have fun "working hard" like you used to raising your sons.
Ann Romney is going to be a marvelous First Lady. She is a proud American and always has been.
I bet she's proud. Proud of cheating the U.S. treasury, proud of charging her expensive dressage horse to those who can LEAST afford it; and proud of living it up off the backs of people who lost their jobs and pensions. If that is your definition of proud, I guess she is.
If all she does is welcome people and say lots of positive things about her husband, true or otherwise, then the "families off-limits" rule will still apply. If she goes negative on Obama or the democrats in general then she is stepping into the free-fire zone, and the people who will be attacking her won't be amateur bloggers commenting here.
Is she going to talk about fashion, horse or Cadillacs? What a joke.
Does this flip flopping campaign understand that most women CAN'T STAND HIS WIFE!!!!!?????
What is she going to talk about? Her $77,000 deduction dancing horse? How she has never worked a day in her life and it's so hard to raise five sons who don't love their country enough to serve? How that country club pro can make it to Wimbledon? How she spends $1,000 for the most god awful fish blouse/tee I have ever seen? How she thought it was funny to put Seamus the dog on top of the SUV and still laughs about it? How she is completely insane if she thinks her husband has a sense of humor, integrity, common sense, morals? Not that I will be watching this chaos where nobody wants her husband but they are stuck with him but what will she say to all those "you people" crowd?
First Lady Michelle Obama is one of the most caring,elegant first ladies in history. I can't even "Imagine this women Ann Robme and her Vulcher Capitalist husband, being residence in the White House for 4 years of "Plundering"!!!! OMG
Here are the top 10 comments about Bain from Romney’s Republican rivals:
1. “The idea that you’ve got private equity companies that come in and take companies apart so they can make profits and have people lose their jobs, that’s not what the Republican Party’s about.” — Rick Perry [New York Times, 1/12/12]
2. “The Bain model is to go in at a very low price, borrow an immense amount of money, pay Bain an immense amount of money and leave. I’ll let you decide if that’s really good capitalism. I think that’s exploitation.” — Newt Gingrich [New York Times, 1/17/12]
3. “Instead of trying to work with them to try to find a way to keep the jobs and to get them back on their feet, it’s all about how much money can we make, how quick can we make it, and then get out of town and find the next carcass to feed upon” — Rick Perry [National Journal, 1/10/12]
4. “We find it pretty hard to justify rich people figuring out clever legal ways to loot a company, leaving behind 1,700 families without a job.” — Newt Gingrich [Globe and Mail, 1/9/12]
5. “Now, I have no doubt Mitt Romney was worried about pink slips — whether he was going to have enough of them to hand out because his company, Bain Capital, of all the jobs that they killed” — Rick Perry [New York Times, 1/9/12]
6) “He claims he created 100,000 jobs. The Washington Post, two days ago, reported in their fact check column that he gets three Pinocchios. Now, a Pinocchio is what you get from The Post if you’re not telling the truth.” — Newt Gingrich [1/13/12, NBC News]
7. “There is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business, and I happen to think that’s indefensible” — Rick Perry [National Journal, 1/10/12]
8. “If Governor Romney would like to give back all the money he’s earned from bankrupting companies and laying off employees over his years, then I would be glad to then listen to him” — Newt Gingrich [Mediaite, 12/14/11]
9. “If you’re a victim of Bain Capital’s downsizing, it’s the ultimate insult for Mitt Romney to come to South Carolina and tell you he feels your pain, because he caused it.” — Rick Perry [New York Times, 1/8/12]
10. “They’re vultures that sitting out there on the tree limb waiting for the company to get sick and then they swoop in, they eat the carcass. They leave with that and they leave the skeleton” — Rick Perry [National Journal, 1/10/12]
Just last night, Newt Gingrich defended his attacks, saying “I think there are things you can legitimately look at in Bain Capital. I think there are things you can legitimately look at in anybody’s record, including Mitt Romney’s record.”