Obama, Romney mark campaign-free Sunday by attending church
August 19th, 2012

Obama, Romney mark campaign-free Sunday by attending church

Washington (CNN) - The two men locked in an intense campaign for the White House marked one of the rare days that neither has a campaign event by attending church services with their families on Sunday.

President Barack Obama, along with first lady Michelle Obama and their two daughters, Sasha and Malia, walked across Lafayette Square on an overcast Sunday in the nation's capital to attend mass at St. John's Episcopal Church.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

During the sermon, the Rev. Michael Angell spoke about what he called "a summer of violence." He mentioned recent shootings, including the movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, that killed 12 people late last month and the shooting at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, that killed six people earlier this month.

Readings during the service included Ephesians 5 and John 6. The first family took Communion from Angell following the sermon.

This is not the first time the president has attended services at St. John's. Earlier this year, on Easter Sunday, the president attended services there with his family. That was the last time Obama publicly attended church.

Throughout his almost four years in office, Obama has attended a number of different churches in Washington. According to the White House, the president and his family have attended services at nine different churches, including the historic Washington National Cathedral, Shiloh Baptist Church and others.

Romney, who is taking a reprieve from the campaign at his house in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, attended a Mormon sacrament meeting Sunday morning with his wife, Ann, as well as his son Tagg's family of six children.

During the services, the Romney family took part in singing hymns and exchanged pleasantries with other worshipers. Before entering the service, one woman gave Romney a hug and welcomed him back. Romney owns a house on Lake Winnipesaukee in central New Hampshire and has worshiped in Wolfeboro on a number of occasions.

After two members of the prominent Mormon Marriott family spoke to the congregation, the choir director asked for volunteers to join the women's choir. Romney gave his wife an encouraging nod to join, after which Ann Romney and Tagg's wife, Jen, joined about 40 women to sing "Because I Have Been Given Much" - a popular Mormon hymn about using the blessings you have been given.

Romney listened intently to the numerous speakers during the service and only occasionally looked away to entertain one of his grandchildren. After the final prayer, Romney shook hands with a man seated nearby.

After a day of prayer and family, tomorrow marks a return to campaigning for the presumptive Republican nominee. Romney will stay local, and his newly minted running mate, Paul Ryan, will meet him in New Hampshire to campaign in the swing state.

Filed under: Mitt Romney • President Obama • Religion
  1. JulieB

they are such a beautiful family. They are real and came from humble beginnings.

August 19, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  2. Woman In California

The Obama girls are beautiful and so fortunate to have parents who care as much as they do.

A religion which exempts them from war yet this con artist "feels" he should occupy the White House and send OUR children out to die? I find him TOTALLY disgusting not to mention a coward who preaches war as long as he or his tribe don't do the fighting. For years, his five good for nothing sons were busy breeding, others were bleeding just so they could continue to expand their "good name" and fortune. Willard's path is paved with blood all the way to his many mansions and his car elevators and I resent his "it's our time" mentality. This family is the most unAmerican group of liars, I have ever witnessed and it will be my pleasure to show them the door back to wherever they call home.

Obama 2012 ALL the way.

August 19, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. NOT a Government Dependent

Election time... time for Obama to go to church to try and con people into thinking he's religious. Does a religious person accuse others of "clinging to their religion and guns"??? Of course not. Obama is just one big con artist from start to finish. The Democrats and MSM have conned the American people with this incompetent fraud.

August 19, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. Brian

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
    Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
    I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
    who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
    I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
    my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
    that he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
    I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
    I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
    thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

August 19, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. B Dowling

just a question do you think Romney does not want to put his past taxes out because the church will see them and is he supposed to pay 10 percent of his income to the church , just saying.????

August 19, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |