Ann Romney rebounded from several medical problems
August 21st, 2012

Ann Romney rebounded from several medical problems

Washington (CNN) – As Ann Romney begins to take center stage at next week's Republican convention, we are learning more about some of the problems she has endured and how she fought back.

The Romneys, who are protective of the details of their private family life, have spoken often about Ann's battle with multiple sclerosis which was diagnosed in 1998. After the Super Tuesday primaries, she had a recurrence which she kept secret at the time but has since discussed in an interview with CNN.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN

Mrs. Romney also has described to CNN how she successfully fought an early-stage breast cancer diagnosis in 2008.

Several months after the couple's youngest son, Craig, was born in 1981, Ann had emergency surgery. After not feeling well, she was rushed to the hospital where doctors found a growth in her abdomen, two sources familiar with the situation told CNN.

Around 1991, ten years after Craig's birth, the couple suffered a miscarriage, the sources confirmed. Ann was about four and a half months pregnant when it happened. The sources refused to speak on the record because the Romneys did not want the details made public.

The Associated Press first reported on Saturday Mrs. Romney had had a stillbirth, but sources told CNN it was in fact a miscarriage.

Those close to the Romneys say Ann's medical problems and how she recovered from them exemplify her strength of will and determination.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Bill

Sorry about her medical issues, but this woman is just plain creepy and out-of-touch. SHe will never be first lady, however.

August 21, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. GI Joe

She didn't have to worry about how she was going to pay for the care - or who was going to feed the kids at night.

We've been sick too, and still had to do all the normal things in life.

Trying for the pity vote now?

August 21, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  3. 1twinswin

MS medications run around $1900 a month without insurance.

August 21, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. ted

She has obviously struggled with health issues, but she isn't struggling financially so her health care issues are taken care of. Too bad she looks down on people of modest means that have the same issues.

August 21, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  5. Larry L

Unlimited wealth will help a person "rebound". The Republican vision will ensure great medical care for those with unlimited wealth – and crap for the working class.

Where's Romney's tax returns?

August 21, 2012 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. livingston

See how nice it is to have health-care. Doctors will see you and you get the test and treatments you need. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had that luxury?

August 21, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. PJ

"The Romneys, who are protective of the details of their private family life............." except when talking to CNN
    telling all things that are truly private. We did not need to know this. But since she obviously wants it "out there",
    I will only say that those women who rely on Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screenings must feel pretty
    lonely since Mitt wants to defund the good they do for women's health. Keep it to yourself Mrs. Romney and
    be grateful you are not in their shoes.

August 21, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. michd

I am glad that Ann Romney could rebound from her illness, but they are so many without health insurance in this country. But does she really understand that women have the same problems and cannot afford health care? Women are dying.

August 21, 2012 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. Sue

We don't want to hear about Ann's past health problems that's none of our business, but their Taxes is our business and we want to see them......their just trying to change the news cycle so they don't have to answer anything about their taxes or abortion or economy issues.

August 21, 2012 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. Chung

Yeah, she had the money to do the screening. Maybe it is karma...

August 21, 2012 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Dan J

People honestly think everyone is magically going to get top notch medical care under the Obama administration. Even better yet, they think it will be at zero cost. Let's be realistic. Maybe some people will get access to some crappy health care, and it will cost a lot of money. Good luck with that.

August 21, 2012 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Sharon

Glad to see she has managed to deal with her illnesses. I deal with arithritis, fibromyalgia and several stress related issues. I work a 45 to 50 hour workweek, run a home, volunteer and manage my household. I have also had two miscarriages. I would like to know what any of her medical issues have to do with Mitt being president. Obviously they can afford premium healthcare (my sister in law has MS and no where near the medical support Ann has).

I would like to see the tax returns and see what they spend on household help and what they spent when the boys were young.

August 21, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Amy

I am disgusted. Yes, I am a democrat and proudly voted for Clinton and Obama. But this is absolutely hypocritical, the woman had breast cancer and has M.S. do you think money makes the easier when your laying in your bed screaming on pain? Is this what our party has come to..that the rich are better off spiritually and physically because they have money. Well, I have had health insurance, and I have gone without, I have been well off, and i have filed for bankruptcy because of medical bills. I also lost my business and health at one time. If I was chalked off as good or bad or whether I deserved empathy because of my assets, I would have been I trouble.

What is wrong with you people?

August 21, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  14. lyn

Under Romney's plan she would need a coupon for $8,000. Is he so far above the middle income people he has no clue what it costs for the simplest of medical care? $8,000 would barely cover a finger splint.

August 21, 2012 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. Al-NY,NY

I'm glad she got thru her illnesses. I'm sure the wing of the hospital she commandeered for her private walks and meetings were of top quality. Not that the schmos who could have used the other rooms minded doubling and tripling up in their rooms.

August 21, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Russ

Oh come on, somebody besides me must see that photo for what it is. A photo op to show us her $10,000.00 watch that most of us can't afford. Way to go Ann. Flaunt your wealth a little more. That will win votes. Geeezzzzz!!!

August 21, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. Marie

I agree with Sniffit. While I empathize with anyone whose had to endure long-term illness and the toll it takes on them and their family members, this does not incline me to be more sympathetic toward Ann Romney or tolerant of her condescension but rather wonder how she would have coped if the policies her husband and Ryan are peddling is what she had to deal with in place of a huge bank account acquired through marriage? I don't begrudge her her wealth but my mamma always told me that you don't feel sorry for someone with a yacht, airplane, manision, etc. either. Ann gets sick she pays the bill. Those less fortunate pay the price. There is a difference. It is that difference that I don't believe Ann Romney gets or wants to get because why should she being the first lady of the Morman Church with endless cash to keep her in the lifestyle she'll be accustomed to until death. Nice for her but those out here really surviving don't have time to cry tears for this lady when she clearly shows continued disdain for that which could help the global good instead of the perceived "chosen" few.

August 21, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. Tubby the Tuba Texas

She probably is not ill at all, just trying to get some sympathy votes since he is behind in the polls. She has never had to face life like a middle class mom....working at a job, and picking up the kids and the like. She hasn't had to worry about where her next dime will come from but Cnn and other news info places tried to make her like a real middle class women. Bogus. Mitt is a tax cheat....not paying his taxes to the United States. The republicans seem to think this is cool, cause he outsmarted the system, but we the middle class will take him to task. They think he will show them how to cut the United States Government out of getting tax money from them. He acts like a crook stealing those millions so the US has no money. If we all pull his nonsense I pretty sure the US would be in big trouble.

August 21, 2012 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  19. Sueb

I truly hope Anne Romney is healthy and well; but, I'll also bet that she had the best care money can buy, the best medical insurance money can buy and that her medical expenses were deducted from their taxes (Rafalca was deducted as a medical expense to the tune of $78000 purportedly because he made Anne feel better). That's the difference between being of the 1% and the rest of us who struggle for years to pay medical expenses even when we have insurance and have to choose between what treatments we can afford. Release your tax returns and advocate that small-minded people in the "lower" classes get access to the same medical care that the Romneys are so fortunate to have.

August 21, 2012 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  20. tammyk tammy

Ann is an example of what good healthcare can achieve. How pathetic that her husband wants to deny the same right to healthcare to the rest of us and his VP pick Ryan wants to deny affordable Medicare to future seniors. Must be nice to know your health is covered Princess by your slimy, out-sourcing, tax loop-hole using, money grubbing hubby. NO IT IS NOT YOUR TURN IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

August 21, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. Jean2

I am glad for your excellent health care and that you continue to do well.
    I hope that we all understand the need for avilable HEALTH CARE for all americans..

August 21, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. American People

It's a good thing she didn't have to use a "Voucher" system.

August 21, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. SafeJourney

Amazing what access to the best medical care can buy.

August 21, 2012 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. rs1201

what a bunch of really mean, bitter, nasty posters. Do any of you really think that having these medical problems is OK if one has money? how much help did the Kennedys get from their money when they lost all these people in their family...JFK and JFK, jr, RFK, JOE KENNEDY, jr, and so on and on...do you really think their money helped them in their grief. How good did money make Carolyn Kennedy feel when she learned that her young brother was dead...How absolutely heartless and horrible all of you are.

August 21, 2012 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  25. anthony76

Who cares about 20 years of the candidates medical history when we can't even get more then 2 years of his financial history. I smell a crook. It might have been legal but short changing the country through tax loop holes is NOT patriotic. Even Romney's father passed up loop holes at times and paid more than he had to.
    And if you're sick and your rich (doesn't matter what color you are, i.e.; Magic Johnson), you will live. If you're poor.. good luck. But hey.. Rafalka makes at least $70k.. more then many middle class families without the cadillac health benefits ....

JUST RELEASE THE TAXES WILLARD.... closing the curtains while you're house is burning doesn't mean we don't know theres a fire raging....

August 21, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |