NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - President Obama and Mitt Romney both say they are focused on improving the lives of middle-class Americans, but a new poll suggests that the president has a slight edge over his challenger with the key demographic group.
Just more than half - 52% - of middle-class adults said the president's policies would benefit them should he win a second term. A lower number - 42% - of respondents said that Romney's policies would help the middle class.
9 Reasons Romney/Ryan Economic plan is a Disaster
1. Wealthy Benefit Most From Tax Cuts – if you make between $20,000 and $30,000 you save just $246 in taxes, compared to savings of $265,011 for those who make over $1 million, (analysis from Center on Budget and Policy Priorities).
2. Health Care Cuts – "Path to Prosperity" cuts $2.4 trillion from Medicaid & other health care programs for people with low or moderate incomes, (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities).
3. Fewer People Covered By Medicaid – Under "Path to Prosperity" as many as 44 million FEWER people would be covered under Medicaid, (CBS News).
4. Reduced Health Care For Retirees – Ryan would raise the age of Medicare eligibility from 65 to 67. If the Affordable Care Act was repealed, something Romney has pledged, that means many 65- and 66-year-olds would be left uninsured, (CBPP reports).
5. Seniors Would Pay More For Health Coverage – Under Ryan's plan senior citizens would have to pay as much as 68 percent of their health care coverage, up from 25 % today, (CBS News).
6. Cuts To Food Stamp Programs – Ryan's plan includes $134 billion in cuts to SNAP, (Center on Budget & Policy Priorities).
7. Lower Tax Credit For Single Moms – A single mother of two working full time at the minimum wage would have her Child Tax Credit cut by more than $1,500, assuming she made $14,500 a year, (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities).
8. Less Money For Education – Compared to the most recent White House budget proposal, Ryan's budget spends 33 % less on education, training, employment and social services, (Washington Post).
9. No Raises For Government Workers – Current government worker pay freeze would be extended under Ryan plan meaning public-sector employees wouldn't get a raise until at least 2015 (Washington Post) reports.
Yup, tell us what we don't know. More lower and middle income families favor Obama's policy....where as the upper income families really favor Romney.
When you have a Republican Governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker stripping away the Middle Class and being paid by the Koch Bros. why would anyone support Romney/Ryan. How much proof does one need to know what the Republican agenda is.
A blind man can see that the President is for the middle class and that Willard Capone is for the 1% and the banks. Willard Capone, are you ever going to release any more of your taxes????
If the republicans try to change Medicare to a "Voucher" system, I hope the democrats attach a "Legalize Euthanasia" clause to the legislation. The Middle Class will need that clause. Hahahahahaha
If you think Romney/Ryan have anything to offer the middle class your eyes and ears must be covered in lies.Republicans have the worst record in economic stabliity for the middle class and have the best record in catering to the 1% and big corporations. You either vote for the people with Obama or you vote for corporations with Romney
"_% of middle-class adults said"
But where are the statistics that define this polls definition of the middle-class?
Do you consider yourself in the middle class is NOT a scientific polling question...
I'm sure that poll only included middle class persons and didn't include anyone who's in poverty or living off the gov't.
Obama and the Democrats want to replace the middle class with the food stamp class. Four more years of Obama/Democrat leftist economic insanity should just about do it. the United States of Greece. Bankrupt with 12-20% unemployment, unable to pay our bills or borrow any more money. This is the Hope, Change and Forward Obama has in store for you America. WAKE UP!!
Seven of the ten richest members of congress are Democrats. Mostly from the east & west coasts. I just can't relate to that.
Well where is the knowledge in this poll? Clearly Romney and all repuks do NOT support middle America because none of them are part of middle America.
Claudia, how did Gov.Walker strip the middle class, when the middle class pays for the UNIONS elaborate benefits, just because he ask them to contribute to their own retirement and healthcare?
HAHAHA... The joke is on you, the new healthcare law already has provision where bureaucrats decide who will receive treatment and if your over 55 forget it, according to the healthcare Tsar, you're no longer productable, therefore don't need extensive treatment, besides we have to save money somehow.
neither... it is who ever grease the other party greety hands is who they are for ..not the average american...we dont have money.....
Wells thats a NO-Brainer ! Obama Hands Down !
BLKMAN in America, neither is President Obama or the members of the SENATE and HOUSE.
Deceptive political jargon designed for the purpose of imposing their personal interpretation of their religion of choice onto others by taking away other citizen’s established rights and freedoms.
This is their idea of “freedom of religion”?
One grew up in the working & middle class working his way up through college and earning schollarships to being elected the President of the United States. The other was born into a rich and very religious family, who had every economical advantage provided to him.
So why would anyone ask which favors the middle class.
The only way this country will ever be at 12- 20 percent unemployment is if the people elect another republican president. Romney would just finish what W got us into. i cant believe any middle class citizen could vote against their own interests
Just more than half – 52% – of middle-class adults said the president's policies would benefit them should he win a second term. A lower number – 42% – of respondents said that Romney's policies would help the middle class.
does that 42% even know what Romney's policies are?
Some in the middle class are still asleep!!! Goodness, what is it going to take? Everybody but the rich bankrupt and homeless???
Wake up middle class!
FlotsamJetsam, you took all this time to lay out the Romney/Ryan agenda as promoted by the DEMOCRATS, can you lay out PRES.OBAMAS agenda and the democrats. Can you tell us in what year we all be making enough money to call ourself middle class, or what business the government will let us have, or according to the LIFE OF JULIA will the government be taking care of all of us from cradle to grave.
Last report UNEMP UP IN 44 STATES Its ovious Oblameos plan isnt working, but its not his fault, he blames = Whoever is convienant at the time 42 mos over 8% not success, but total ailure
Simple Romney doesn’t know the meaning of Middle class
Robme has no class. A tax dodger and draft dodger who would send middle class kids to war while sending his sons and grandsons as missionaries to France. Hands down Obama is for the middle class
Obama thinks that everyone should REMAIN middle class.
Since half of America pays NO federal taxes The middle class must be the other half, save the 1%ers..., right??