Conservative group continues featuring ex-Obama supporters
August 24th, 2012

Conservative group continues featuring ex-Obama supporters

(CNN) – A major conservative group said Friday it would continue its ad campaign featuring voters who supported President Barack Obama in 2008 but who are now critical of how he's handled the economy.

Americans for Prosperity, which is partially funded by the influential brothers Charles and David Koch, said it would spend $6 million to run the latest ad, which is the second this month that uses Obama supporters from four years ago to spotlight the president's economic record.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

In the thirty-second spot, voters offer their assessments of Obama's first term.

"I think that now we've given Obama a fair chance, and I don't think he's able to do what we need him to do," says one woman.

"The president's doing a mediocre job. The economy in my opinion is still the same as it was four years ago," a man offers. Later he adds: "I have not received the hope and change I believed in in 2008."

The ad carries the tagline "Has President Obama earned your vote? It's time for a change."

Americans for Prosperity is a major buyer of ads this election cycle. Earlier this month the group said it would spend $27 million to run spots on TV as well as social and new media over a three-week period.

The first spot of the $27 million buy criticized the president over the national debt. The second also used 2008 supporters criticizing Obama's economic record.

Politico first reported the new AFP spot.

CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • President Obama
  1. BinaryTooth

These exObama supporters need to shut up and pay their taxes so I can afford some lotto tickets!

Obama 2012

August 24, 2012 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. Larry L

The Koch brothers are protecting their investment. They know they'll get a ten-fold return if the politician they've bought (Romney) can keep their taxes at levels below the working class, eliminate all environmental protection, deregulate Wall Street, keep subidies of already profitable oil, hand Social Security over to the financial district, and trash Medicare.

August 24, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

Too funny. Good luck with Mr. Mittens and his Republican Party, folks.

Oh, and by the way ... for everyone who believes this nonsense ... good luck living under the United States of Charles and David Koch. Not my idea of America the Beautiful, but what can I say? Money talks (especially when past voting records can't be verified after the fact), and the Koch brothers are all about money. Why do you think they hand picked Mr. Mittens as their personal lackey?

August 24, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. brian in denver

No doubt there are folks who have been disappointed by the lack of economic improvement over the last 4 yrs. Many realize that Republican obstructionism is @ least partially to blame, many don't. But it's a stretch for me to believe that those featured in these campaign ads are actually "real people". They are paid actors, hired through a talent agency & may or may not agree w/ what they are saying on camera.

Hopefully money won't buy the election. Obama is admittedly too liberal for many to accept, but compared to the Romney-Ryan ticket he's an absolute gem.

August 24, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  5. Four and The Door

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    How true. The middle class has carried the burden of this bad economy for way too long while the Obama Administration has continued policies that only benefit the biggest businesses, the largest banks and the union bosses. The irony is Obama/ Biden 2012's primary strategy now of claiming to be the candidates that will fight for the middle class. Hardly. The middle class need an improved economy and faster job creation. That's Romney/ Ryan 2012.

August 24, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. Sorensen

What kind of idiot would ever take seriously anything to do with the corrupt Koch brothers.
    Just look at their pictures.

August 24, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  7. Larry L

"Mary" must not need Social Security or Medicare – or she wouldn't be voting for Romney. All of the fact-checkeers show Romney's promises of low taxes, no deficit, 12 million new jobs, cheap gas, great healthcare, and a huge defense budget to be nothing more than empty promises – nonsense. He has yet to explain ANYTHING about how he plans to pay for it. Like his tax returns, he's hiding the "magic" way he'll give us everything for "free"!

August 24, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. gt

its true...obama has let down so many folks..america wanted hope and change...did not happen...same old politics..sad

August 24, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. myviewis

To be fair to President Obama some of the fault for the way these people feel as per the voter "I have not received the hope and change I believed in in 2008." is the fault of the voters for not having looked closely at Obama's job experience and academics and they believed that a man who had never ran a city, had not been a Governor, had never held any management position in the private sector or public sector could actually run the country. I think some of the fault lies in the voters who did not look at Obama's resume realistically and determined that this man had mainly worked short term, part-time and the big one everyone was talking about was his job of community organizer which also did not have him exposed to managing a budget, paying bills, managing a staff, making decisions and failed to realize that a community organizer is that, a community organizer to protest, to push businesses, etc....Many voters did not even know about his childhood, that Obama went to an expensive, prestigious private school, lived in nice homes in very nice neighborhoods, grandma was a successful banker, his mom was very successful and also worked for banks, his father worked for the government of Kenya, his step-father worked for the Indonesian government making very good money and the truth that Obama lived a childhood that most kids can only dream of. So I believe a lot of this disappointment is not only Obama's fault for not doing a good job, is in over his head but it is also the voters for not getting to know Obama in 2008 and making a realistic decision that Obama was not ready to be president, he should have been a Mayor or a Governor first.

August 24, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. V

Just more Koch brothers propaganda being used to try and buy the White House.

Obama 2012

August 24, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. T'sah From Virginia

These ads are totally irrelevant because there is NO PROOF these people voted for President Obama in 2008 and there is NO PROOF they're going to vote for Romney in November. And if these ads show African Americans in them, that's a lie too because it's most likely the Black Republicans Romney shipped in to the NAACP meeting.

►"Obama said he was going to help the middle class, and that's where I am. I'm the middle class. Instead it has hurt me," a third voter asserts.◄ President Obama is the reason why the middle class is being sustained – Does this person realize when Obama took office, we were losing almost a million jobs a month? Why blame President Obama when it is the other side that is going to DESTROY the middle class – I'm considered middle class too and I don't want the other side to take control because that would be devastating!!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

August 24, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Thomas

Its to bad they don't ask these people how they feel about the Congress .

It would be great to see how they really voted last time , There are those who want another GW Bush , Romney is there man .

August 24, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Kris

I'm in the same position as these people in the ad. I voted for Obama in 2008 and after seeing his job performance, I plan to vote for Romney. He definately wouldn't make the best president, but he should be more competent than who we have now. At least the Ryan budget got Republican votes. Obama's budget didn't even get Democrat votes in a Democrat controlled congress.

August 24, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  14. Dave

and yet they never mention the over 200 pieces of legislation obstructed by Republican filibuster.

August 24, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  15. Jill

My name is Mary Jill, and I AM voting for President Obama. I am not spoiled and have worked hard all my life – nothing ever handed to me. I did not expect that coming back from the brink of depression to a roaring economy could be accomplished in 3 years. Why? Because I have lived and struggled back from nasty recessions in the 1980's and 1990's, yes the worst even being under Ronald Reagan. But unlike some folks today, we did not blame him. Most sensible people know that complex problems cannot be solved instantly.

August 24, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  16. roro

Of course, President Obama could not do what he promised. The Republicans have stopped him every step of the way in their quest to make him "a one-term president". They don't care that doing that has kept this country from a full recovery, and even caused a lowering of our rating. Bush/Cheney left our country in shambles, and now the Republicans want you to vote them back in so they can continue to crush the middle class and trample on the poor – all the while enriching themselves. What's wrong with you people? Do you not see what they've done? Thanks to Obama we didn't enter into a full depression, and although progress has been slow, at least it IS progress.

August 24, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  17. yeah right

I guranteed she did not vote for Obama, I bet you $ 10,000.00

August 24, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. concerned citizen

I am one of them and know some of my friends are the same cases.

August 24, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Considering the republican near depression, the unfunded wars, the tax cuts for the wealthy, the unfunded drug programs, TARP, and a national debt of over $12 trillion, that President Obama inherited, he has done a good job without a single republican vote.

August 24, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Mary looks like she was unaware that our president was black. Unlike Bush, he kept us safe, got us out of Iraq, saved the auto industry, helped homeowners refinance, saw that 6 million college students could stay on their parents insurance, gave us the lowest taxes in 50 years, stopped the Bush/republican job loss of 800,000 a month while creating 4 million private sector jobs, etc.

August 24, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

What are these people's complaints? Other than this vague notion that he didn't live up to their expections, what didn't he do that he could have done without Congress? He is the president and head of the executive branch. Congress is another co-equal part of government. I hope that people realize that.

August 24, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |